Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The way the world is going, most of us who work for a living and have money in the bank will be living in neighborhoods gated off with controlled access, even middle class people. I don't want thugs walking up and down my street riding the bus from the city. I pay my taxes, when I get home I should have some peace. I've earned it. I have to put up with these idiots during the work day.
I don't live in a gated community and don't plan on it. If you want peace on Halloween then turn off the porch lights and don't answer the door...problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't live in a gated community and don't plan on it. If you want peace on Halloween then turn off the porch lights and don't answer the door...problem solved.
Just wait about 10 years, you'll be wishing for more gates and fences.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Should hordes of poorer kids be allowed to trick o treat in richer neighborhoods?

"I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more “modest” streets—mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names, media moguls, etc.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn’t a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person, because what’s the big deal about making less fortunate kids happy on a holiday? But it just bugs me, because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it legitimately a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?"

Dear Prudence: On Halloween, poor kids come to trick-or-treat in my neighborhood.
I like the response in the article:

Quote:
Your whine makes me kind of wish that people from the actual poor side of town come this year not with scary costumes but with real pitchforks. Stop being callous and miserly and go to Costco, you cheapskate, and get enough candy to fill the bags of the kids who come one day a year to marvel at how the 1 percent live.
Kids this time of year demonstrate their highest level of critical thinking and know where to go for candy- all kids have done this since the holiday was co-opted by candy manufacturers. It's all about the good candy.

The author of that letter probably saw the movie the "Purge" and actually thinks it might be a good idea...Lighten up - they're children.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Turn the lights out and act like you are not home.

Just more of the those that want what the haves have but don't have themselves.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
This isn't the dumbest, non-issue topic I've ever seen on ths forum......but it's probably in the top 10.

Kids all over the country have always traveled out of their own neighborhoods to where the "good stuff" is.

So what?
Now people want to make it a political, have's vs have not's issue?

Spare me.....

Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
The way the world is going, most of us who work for a living and have money in the bank will be living in neighborhoods gated off with controlled access, even middle class people. I don't want thugs walking up and down my street riding the bus from the city. I pay my taxes, when I get home I should have some peace. I've earned it. I have to put up with these idiots during the work day.
Well don't you just sound like a real pleasant person

Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
But....busing them out to different neighborhoods seems wrong to me. If you live in a neighborhood that is so bad you don't even want to trick or treat with your kids, you should be taking them to a party.

If the rich people don't want them around, they should stay away. It's not their neighborhood and the people there are not meaning the candy for them.
I wasn't going to say anything, because I have little interest in reading such a long thread; I say those rich people are entitled to gibe those poor kids candy- obligated to give back to the "lessers," like chris rock said; "sometimes the people with the most tihs, get to say the least tihs."

Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
In my neighborhood , the kids are not interested in candy.. they usually go to a parade in town and don't really go the the houses for candy.

I would say the past decade fewer and fewer children go door to door. Here it seems to be dieing out . They usually go on hayrides , or a haunted house . I haven't seen anyone going out on mischief night as they did in the past generations to soap up windows or pranks like that.

Last edited by Taratova; 10-30-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
don't like it, turn off your light

sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Should hordes of poorer kids be allowed to trick o treat in richer neighborhoods?

"I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more “modest” streets—mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names, media moguls, etc.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn’t a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person, because what’s the big deal about making less fortunate kids happy on a holiday? But it just bugs me, because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it legitimately a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?"

Dear Prudence: On Halloween, poor kids come to trick-or-treat in my neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
don't like it, turn off your light

sheesh
I've seen a lot of people attacking the OP. In fairness, this was not the OP's personal opinion. The OP simply linked to an article of one woman's opinion who wrote into some advice column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies