Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's pretty clear you're not familiar with the Chicago metro area.
Lol ok

It's pretty certain that you want to project your biases onto complete strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It always comes back to race. Even for black children. Smh
no, it's not about race when it comes to something like this, its the same if I would say I had a hundred swarms of white kids.....it's fact....get over it....or 100's of latinos....

YOU made it race!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Lol ok

It's pretty certain that you want to project your biases onto complete strangers.
Not my biases. City-Data itself has the income info by city/town.

THINK... don't "feel."

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
sounds like just a bunch of snobbery

why on earth would you not want to give out treats to all kids

trick or treating is something alot of kids look forward too

some lower income neighborhoods you rarely see trick or treating anymore cuz folks dont have money to be buying large bags of candy and whatnot. Its one reason why they go to rich neighborhoods because they will have treats to give away and good treats like snack sized snickers bars etc vs candy corn and other crap

only your fellow rich kids are entitled to treats?

we're talking about kids here

let them have their fun and sugar fix one day of the year without all the bs

There are some years we get to see only 2-3 kids and other years maybe 10 at tops.
The towns around here change Halloween trick or treating for the kids to Nov 1st, because H.S. Football has games that day and there's not enough police coverage to watch the little ones too. Some in other areas will still get to go out on the 31st tho.

I think events at the local mall and trunk-or-treat have taken the place of the kids coming out our way.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
When I was a kid my mom took us trick or treating around OUR neighborhood. Different times I know, but I can get where the so called snobs are coming from. I worked my a** off to raise my kids in a better neighborhood than I lived in, and I don't mind giving the candy out to the kids from my neighborhood. Like everything else in life we are bombarded to remember those less fortunate than us so much so that something as innocent as Halloween easily turns into a social and political ping pong. While I agree with helping those less fortunate I am getting tired of those looking for something for nothing. That thought unfortunately carries over into Halloween. Sure I know why they come to my neighborhood, I have just become numb due to those few who seem to ALWAYS be trying to run a game. It is up to the parents (like it should be) to provide that positive experience for their child like my parents did not the nearest wealthier neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Should hordes of poorer kids be allowed to trick o treat in richer neighborhoods?

"I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more “modest†streets—mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names, media moguls, etc.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn’t a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person, because what’s the big deal about making less fortunate kids happy on a holiday? But it just bugs me, because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it legitimately a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?"

Dear Prudence: On Halloween, poor kids come to trick-or-treat in my neighborhood.
This happens to me, not that I live in a super rich neighborhood, it's still pretty nice and a lot of kids come in from the apartments in the area.

WHY? Because it's a pretty neighborhood with decorations and big old trees and people hand out candy.
It's a lot more fun than wandering around a bland apartment complex where you don't know if the people are even handing out candy.

Rather than ***** and moan about it, I give out full size candy bars and it costs me maybe $50 bucks a year.

If the old fart can't chisel an extra $20 out of their wallet to help make it a fun night for some kids from less safe or less fun areas to enjoy Halloween then she needs to seriously re-prioritize her values.

I'd especially like to note that a lot of those adults driving over-flowing cars are at least putting forth the effort to give their kids a good halloween experience and are probably bringing along kids whose parents either have to work or don't care etc.

In short, stop being a hallow-scrooge and open your heart a bit, who knows maybe you will actually get some enjoyment from seeing the kids faces light up and their fun costumes.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:30 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
I hate trick or treating and couldn't care less where the kids come from. They're not getting anything from me. All trick or treating does is irritate me and unnecessarily rile up my dog.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This happens to me, not that I live in a super rich neighborhood, it's still pretty nice and a lot of kids come in from the apartments in the area.

WHY? Because it's a pretty neighborhood with decorations and big old trees and people hand out candy.
It's a lot more fun than wandering around a bland apartment complex where you don't know if the people are even handing out candy.

Rather than ***** and moan about it, I give out full size candy bars and it costs me maybe $50 bucks a year.

If the old fart can't chisel an extra $20 out of their wallet to help make it a fun night for some kids from less safe or less fun areas to enjoy Halloween then she needs to seriously re-prioritize her values.

I'd especially like to note that a lot of those adults driving over-flowing cars are at least putting forth the effort to give their kids a good halloween experience and are probably bringing along kids whose parents either have to work or don't care etc.

In short, stop being a hallow-scrooge and open your heart a bit, who knows maybe you will actually get some enjoyment from seeing the kids faces light up and their fun costumes.
I 100% agree with the two bolded statements, above!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
The wealthy neighborhood is already paying for most of the poor parents' existence, why not toss candy for their kids onto the tab? At least with the free candy, the kids are required to come to you directly and ask via the trick or treat thing. Gives them more moxy than their parents who just get all manner of benefits without ever having to face their benefactors directly. They come to my house, I'll give them extra candy, because at least they asked me personally instead of having Leviathan's goons shake me down.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
This thread is mind boggling to me.

So you are giving candy away, why does it matter who gets it?

You and I don't agree on many things, but this is def one of them that we do!

How much is a bag of candy these days?

If people complain about where a 5 cent pc. of candy is going, they need therapy!!! The way some of the posters make these irrational farts of reasoning is making my head explode!

I don't care how rich or poor a kid is; if I can bring a smile to their faces just one night a year, then I'm jumping for joy happy to do it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies