Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are anti-"discrimination" laws as currently practiced in much of America, bigoted against
yes 44 33.85%
no 86 66.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is a resort in Phoenix that is giving a free wedding (value $40,000) to a lucky gay couple they are going to select from gay applicants. Straight couples can not apply or be considered. Is that OK? Is that not discrimination?
Are they denying service to heterosexual couples, or giving special discounts to homosexual couples?

There was a whole thread on using church bulletins for a discount for services. Seems that it is ok to offer special discounts for certain groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/37053905-post65.html

What did you mean by "compare"? I am well aware that compare is not the same as calling two things equal. Did you know that, and if so then what did you mean when you used the word "compare" when we were discussing the Fugitive Slave Act analogy?
You're the one analogizing the Fugitive Slave Act to Title II of the Civil Rights Act (and local equivalents that included sexual orientation). That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

How is a law that legitimized the idea that colored people were sub-humans who could be owned as property analogous to a law that protects the free flow of commerce by making it unlawful for commercial enterprises to deny service to people based on certain inherent characteristics (and one chosen characteristic - religion)?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:38 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
I think all this politically correct anti-discrimination stuff being forced on everyone is actually causing more harm than good. This is my observation. From what I gather it is cornering people into a catch-22 and basically becoming a form of mind control and a violation of rights if you really think about it.
I was thinking this the other day, for example, we are being told that gays should be treated equally and not discriminated against right? Now, we supposedly have "religious freedom" and cannot be discriminated against or persecuted for religious beliefs. There's a few religions out there that believe homosexuality is a sin and inhuman and what not, blah blah blah. So with legalizing gay marriage, even though it goes against the beliefs of certain religions, said religions cannot discriminate against gay folk getting married in a church or whatever. Makes no sense to me. Get what I'm saying?
Just seems all this crap is dividing us as a nation more than ever by basically forcing people to think and behave a certain way against their beliefs. It's like if you listen to rock music, and you're a diehard rock fan, you also have to listen to, and like, country music simply because it exists. What if just don't like the sound of country music? I have no problem with it, but it just isn't my thing. Why should have to listen to it if I don't like it? Now, if I go around beating up country music fans or persecute or discriminate country music fans just because *I* don't like country music well that is a different story. Based upon our constitution country music absolutely has a right to exist but that doesn't mean I have to listen to it or like it. Meh, whatever.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think all this politically correct anti-discrimination stuff being forced on everyone is actually causin So with legalizing gay marriage, even though it goes against the beliefs of certain religions, said religions cannot discriminate against gay folk getting married in a church or whatever. Makes no sense to me. Get what I'm saying?
I get what you're saying, but what you're saying is 100% incorrect. Churches can discriminate in anyway they want. Anti-discrimination laws apply to businesses, not to religions or churches. A church most certainly can have a white only or straight only policy, etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So the printers were not in the business of printing tee shirts? The bakers were not in the business of baking cakes? The wedding chapel was not in the business of having civil weddings? Seriously?

Great, I'm heading to the Clifton Barber Shop in Detroit Michigan to demand
they style my Caucasian hair.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think all this politically correct anti-discrimination stuff being forced on everyone is actually causing more harm than good. This is my observation. From what I gather it is cornering people into a catch-22 and basically becoming a form of mind control and a violation of rights if you really think about it.
I was thinking this the other day, for example, we are being told that gays should be treated equally and not discriminated against right? Now, we supposedly have "religious freedom" and cannot be discriminated against or persecuted for religious beliefs. There's a few religions out there that believe homosexuality is a sin and inhuman and what not, blah blah blah. So with legalizing gay marriage, even though it goes against the beliefs of certain religions, said religions cannot discriminate against gay folk getting married in a church or whatever. Makes no sense to me. Get what I'm saying?
Just seems all this crap is dividing us as a nation more than ever by basically forcing people to think and behave a certain way against their beliefs. It's like if you listen to rock music, and you're a diehard rock fan, you also have to listen to, and like, country music simply because it exists. What if just don't like the sound of country music? I have no problem with it, but it just isn't my thing. Why should have to kisten to it if I don't like it? Now, if I go around beating up country music fans or persecute or discriminate country music fans just because *I* don't like country music well that is a different story. Based upon our constitution country music absolutely has a right to exist but that doesn't mean I have to listen to it or like it. Meh, whatever.
Churches are protected under the first amendment, they are not required to have a wedding ceremony for anyone for any reason. There was even a recent case of a church refusing to marry a black couple. Guess what? The were allowed to deny them and race has been a protected class for a very long time.

No one is telling anyone else that they have to like, or approve of same sex marriage or homosexuals in general. You can not like or approve of us all you want. BUT the government can not discriminate, and neither can businesses in states where sexual orientation is included in public accommodation laws.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Great, I'm heading to the Clifton Barber Shop in Detroit Michigan to demand
they style my Caucasian hair.
They can not deny you service based on your race. However, you may not like the results. Many people specialize in ethnic hair many specialize in Caucasian hair, they may not be capable of doing the cut or style you want.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:51 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
no

Why not?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Why not?
Because a kosher deli doesn't sell bacon to ANYONE.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Why not?
Really? We have to address this absolute nonsense comparison again?

Here ya go - If the Kosher deli does not sell bacon, then no, they don't have to sell you bacon because they don't sell bacon. If the Kosher deli does sell bacon, then yes, the cannot refuse to sell you bacon because of your religion, sex, race, national origin, and in some places because of your sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies