U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,365,978 times

Advertisements

Look, I have a pet peeve: In times of crisis everyone makes the populace conserve water, put a brick in your toilet, do gray-water gardening and leave off watering that lawn. So, if there are people starving in America, how can we allow food eating contests? They aren't having water fights in Georgia right now, are they?

Basically, I find eating contests obscene in a country where folks are not getting enough to eat. I was raised not to waste food. The New Englanders say : "Full is as good as a feast!" Isn't gluttony one of those deadly sins? I await the good Christian conservatives to join my small crusade against eating contests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,709,107 times
I fully believe NOBODY should be starving in America.

An "easybake" meal from Betty Crocker can cost about $3 and feed a family of four for dinner.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,212,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Basically, I find eating contests obscene in a country where folks are not getting enough to eat. I was raised not to waste food. The New Englanders say : "Full is as good as a feast!" Isn't gluttony one of those deadly sins? I await the good Christian conservatives to join my small crusade against eating contests.
Oh please - these eating contests are fun! I have been to a couple of the hot dog (Ethans) eating contests - usually the "BIG" guy and the "little" guy - this year won by a "little" woman!!

Come on - have some fun -

Old 12-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Xil

118 posts, read 243,005 times
Quote:
Basically, I find eating contests obscene in a country where folks are not getting enough to eat.

Aww, the solution there is easy! Just invite the people not getting enough to eat to the eating contests!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 PM

14,320 posts, read 15,143,358 times
Quote:
I await the good Christian conservatives to join my small crusade against eating contests.
So now even food eating contests have a political (conservative - of course) and religious (Christian only - no surprise) bent?

Tell that to the minority (an Asian guy)

who won the hot dog eating contest (meat no less!!!!)

in NJ (we try to out-progressive California).

Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 AM

12,031 posts, read 16,776,975 times
This would only work if Georgia actually didn't waste water. I live 5 minutes (oh wait.. now it's about 10 :P) from the lake that's drying up and just today walking around my subdivision I saw 4 people washing their cars and several others watering. Brown grass should be a badge of honor.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:58 AM

488 posts, read 1,040,999 times
OK. I can't help it.
What does a person propose we do? Make food eating contests illegal?
What else should be legislated as illegal? Frog jumping contests? Cockroach races?
Sorry. Could not help myself.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 AM

3,861 posts, read 9,365,978 times
Default Show some scorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
OK. I can't help it. What does a person propose we do?
Let's preach from pulpits and in the public forums that food contests are immoral. See who climbs on the bandwagon. No constitutional amendment; just public scorn. Sorta like hunting naked women with paintballs. Remember how that was condemned? Or dwarf tossing?

Try to see the trees in that forest!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,633,519 times
Quote:
Look, I have a pet peeve: In times of crisis everyone makes the populace conserve water, put a brick in your toilet, do gray-water gardening and leave off watering that lawn. So, if there are people starving in America, how can we allow food eating contests? They aren't having water fights in Georgia right now, are they?

Entering an 'eating' content is an individual choice. If a person feels that this activity is immoral or whatever, that person shouldn't enter the contest. Making this kind of non-sense and fun illegal is just over-the-top. There's enough of silly laws on the books already and enough real problems to worry about.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 AM

488 posts, read 1,040,999 times
Sorry. Can't climb on that bandwagon.
Now, hunting naked women with paintballs. That's an idea but, marshmellows with a slingshot would be better because that would prevent bruising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies