Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I thought it was a fun question!
Me, too!
Quote:
Made me think hard about what I would value if our comforts of society were removed from us.
Yep.

The psychotic surgeon has very necessary knowledge and skills, but can be kept at arms length by the group as necessary.

All the librarians I know have an extensive knowledge base, and therefore would be very useful in a post-apocalyptic SHTF scenario.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have a similar problem but the opposite on weather. Without modern technology, I would never know if a hurricane is coming or have the ability to combat illness that is rampant in humid, hot areas. I think somewhere around the foothills of the Appalachian mountains would be an ideal location to successfully survive without being brought down by the elements. You do not have the bugs, the extreme temperatures, or the extreme weather events. Of course, settlers all over our country have proven that life IS possible almost everywhere in this country without modern day conveniences. It would just be damn hard and it really gives you an appreciation for what they did when you take time to reflect upon it,.
About that hurricane - the old timers told me (survivor of BIG 1919 storm on the Texas Gulf coast) that they knew a big storm was coming because the house fly wouldn't fly. It would land and you couldn't even brush it off. Something about the change in pressure. With some warning - a safe place can be found to shelter. I'm a big fan of cellars and underground storage - it used to be very common in the South. The real trick with storms is high ground to avoid the storm surges.

In this particular scenario - it would be better to say you are FORCED to take 2 of these people to add to your group ..... otherwise, I ask them if they can give me some supplies because I'm totally out and then leave.

IF I'm forced to take at least 2 .... I take the MBA, not because he is good with money - but because his history shows planning and discipline in his savings. He is also compassionate, which I consider a virtue even in a survival situation. I would also take the Doctor, even with his problems because he would fill a critical void in my group -- which already has 2 engineers (one with an MBA), 2 Eagle Scouts (one is a gardener, fisherman and hunter), 2 members that are excellent shots, a weaver/cook and all around "get it done person" and a couple of able bodies - both male and female. 2 of my group are experienced in construction (love those all around engineers). We need a good medical person to augment the herbalist we have.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Me, too!
Yep.

The psychotic surgeon has very necessary knowledge and skills, but can be kept at arms length by the group as necessary.

All the librarians I know have an extensive knowledge base, and therefore would be very useful in a post-apocalyptic SHTF scenario.
Only if they study plants for medicine and how to use the area one has to survive. It would be better to have a herbalist or medicine man/woman......IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
True. I have a wife anyway, so I'm guessing that the two choices would be in addition to who is already in my crew. So, 2 and 3 are the best choices.
I did misunderstand I thought we were on our own .......never mind with this scenario, my group would not take any of them in for permanent stay.

We would help them move to the next resting spot, by giving what we could or letting them join until the time for them to be on their way. All would be a huge weight in my area.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Only if they study plants for medicine and how to use the area one has to survive. It would be better to have a herbalist or medicine man/woman......IMO
Well, yeah, but that wasn't an option. I was just going on the options presented. And these were people to be added to a group that had already formed. My group doesn't have a librarian. And another MD would be an asset just as a backup.

Quote:
I did misunderstand I thought we were on our own .......never mind with this scenario, my group would not take any in. We would help them move to the next resting spot, by giving what we could or letting them join until the time for them to be on their way. All would be a huge weight in my area.
Don't discount the fact that there's strength in numbers.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Just from reading through the replies in this thread I could see many people would be getting themselves in trouble or dead.
Let's just say you already have a group, in the group you have one person that has fair survival skills and the other 5 (for talking purposes) do not. They were all desk jockeys but so far you've been lucky and have survived but the group is struggling. Picking 1, 2, or 7 because they are smart is going to be their demise. Take 1, and 2 for instance. I can easily see them taking control of the group and getting everyone except the one person with some survival skills to sway their way. The sheeple will follow them, because that is what they do even though the decisions the new "leaders" make are based on zero skill set. After all , they've been working in an office all their lives. Eventually they will turn on the one person that might have a chance at keeping them alive. As far as 7... useful skill set or not, I do not want someone with sketchy mental issues on my team.

I'm still sticking with my first choice of #3. 4 and 5 might be useful if they will follow along, only using them for another body to carry supplies or something.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
I'll take the chicks. Even if they are fat, they won't be for long.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
People are afraid of what they do not know. City critters have no concept of how people in rural areas live, or why anyone would want to live anywhere where they did not have the support of city services and infrastructure. A rural environment is culturally alien to them. Which is why they lash out, criticize, and demean rural folk.

I would be looking for people who lived in the country their entire lives. Those who have large gardens. Those with antlers piled in their backyard. Those with smokers and piles of wood already cut. These are the kinds of people I would offer my skills and labor in an effort to survive. Because then we all would have something to contribute, thus improving our odds of survival.

Neophytes have nothing to contribute and would only be a waste of valuable resources.
My first thought when I read the OP is that in a survival situation we wouldn't know all the details about the listed people. SHTF and who's a dope smoker and who's on meds and who's a librarian and who crumbles under pressure aren't things that would be immediately known. The only real way to decide which ones you would take with you in the OP scenario are if you made those decisions before everything went to hell.

I agree with you about the above post. A book-nerd working in a library may know book information, but when that person is tired, scared, cold, hungry, worried about the world and immediate survival, they may or may not remember anything they have read in a book but have not had the opportunity to apply in their real world.

Same deal with smart lawyers and other intellectuals. Being a tough and savvy legal mind doesn't necessarily translate into an ability to survive and made decisions in the wild and in a survival situation.

I would also want those with rural living experience. Those who know how to hunt, fish, grow things, shoot, those where extended power outages and road closures/food storage/weather extremes etc. don't send them into a panic, because those things are a way of life. Those who already spend their summers growing and canning and wood collecting, who spend their falls hunting, who would understand when to hold up and when to bug out, and would know what to bring with them and what to leave behind.

Depending on the person, I would also want someone with military and/or serious outdoor experience - those who know how to read maps, read a compass, know how to shoot, are used to being on foot for extended periods of time in the mountains, and who have wilderness first aid experience.

If it all hit the fan there are many in the cities who would be rummaging through dumpsters and standing in lines within a day or two, looking for others to help them because they would have no ability what-so-ever to make it on their own. I can't even begin to explain just how far away from interstates and cities I would want to stay if it all fell apart.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
People are afraid of what they do not know. City critters have no concept of how people in rural areas live, or why anyone would want to live anywhere where they did not have the support of city services and infrastructure. A rural environment is culturally alien to them. Which is why they lash out, criticize, and demean rural folk.

I would be looking for people who lived in the country their entire lives. Those who have large gardens. Those with antlers piled in their backyard. Those with smokers and piles of wood already cut. These are the kinds of people I would offer my skills and labor in an effort to survive. Because then we all would have something to contribute, thus improving our odds of survival.

Neophytes have nothing to contribute and would only be a waste of valuable resources.

Just my 2 cents. I've grown up in suburbia my whole life, so I suppose you could call me a city critter. I currently live in what you would call an exurb of Cleveland. It's developed yes, but also semi-rural. I never hunted (it wasn't my thing) but I grew up around folks who did, and have no opposition to those who do. I did spend a lot of time out doors, did a lot of camping...ect... so for me, if I had to make a shelter and a fire to keep warm and cook, I would be able to do so. If s**** hit the fan, I would have no issue in learning how to hunt, really quick, because you do what you have to do, and feeding my family is priority number 1.

I absolutely do not make fun of rural folks anymore, (though I still make fun of the music LOL) because in my experience with rural people, and hearing how they did things, if it goes down they'll fare better than those in urban areas, where after a few days the law of the jungle would take over, as we saw with Hurricane Katrina. In the end, I think knowing some of the people I know, family and friends, I would be able to tough out any unrest. My wife who grew up even closer to the city than I did, may have a harder time adjusting, but she would. My sister-in-law would completely cave (she is your stereo-typical soccer mom). That woman can't even touch raw meat when preparing it! At any rate, those in urban areas who make fun of rural enclaves seem to forget that while urban areas tend to be industrial and technological centers, rural areas tend to be where the food is grown. So, all of the industry and technology in the world ain't gonna amount to jack s*** when the power is out, and there is no food. Secondly, I don't exactly see mass fields of crops growing in the middle of a big city like Cleveland either.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Really...none have useful, relevant skills. I'd pick a mechanic, engineer, farmer, hunter or soldier, or someone else actually useful. And the best looking chick, for obvious reasons. Ownership of a 4x4, ATV, motorcycle and firearms is a plus.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Now these are people I could relate to much better, then those given. Men who get angry easy or that have anxiety they don't know how to control would be hard to deal with. Most the men I know, know about survival, so to be around those who only have book knowledge, will not help in this situation.

Someone who has NEVER hunted would be a poor first pick for me since I don't hunt, love to cook!
Except when that book knowledge is something you might actually need, such as medical knowledge. Eating what the land has to offer may not be enough to ensure survival. We take it for granted today, because our food comes from all over the world, but if you are lacking in vitamins or minerals long term, it can lead to serious medical issues, such as scurvy, rickets, goiters, etc.

A paramedic, nurse, doctor, or anyone with EMT training would be a huge asset.

Hunting and fishing is the easy part. Anyone can be trained to pull a trigger or to use a fishing pole. The hard work comes after shooting the game or catching the fish. In Alaska, a typical moose hunt will take anywhere from 1 to 3 days. Then, assuming it is a successful hunt, it can take two or three weeks to prepare the 900+ pounds of moose meat. It takes me between 5 and 7 days to smoke and/or can ~200 pounds of salmon.

So someone with knowledge about preparing, preserving, and cooking food would also be a valuable asset. Besides, I like to eat well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies