Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I guess they didn't mind his long history of hateful comments towards Christians. Its perfectly acceptable to be bigoted towards Christians, but insulting the religion that takes the issues Progressives have with Christianity, amplified 100-fold, is an injustice and worth taking action. I don't understand this thought process. Its like being pro-choice, but against the death penalty; lets protect the lives of murderers, but not of the innocent unborn.

Amazing that those people seem to have a much bigger problem with religious individuals who don't want gays to marry, than those who outright execute them. They'll condemn a religion that opposes "a woman's right to choose", but rush to defend one that executes women for being raped. Selective outrage seems to be a defining quality of left-wing kooks.

Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
UC Berkeley students: Drop Bill Maher from commencement - CNN.com

A petition to remove Bill Maher as commencement speaker at Berkeley had 2200 signatures as of Tues morning.

Bill Maher is finding out what conservatives have known for a long time: if you don't march in lock step with the left, you are going to be labeled a 'bigot.' Kirby Wilbur, who used to be a radio talk host, then was chair of the Washington State Republican party, said (parahphrase): "the definition of bigot is a conservative who is winning an argument." We need to update this. It turns out that a bigot can be a liberal who is winning an argument as well.

They will push Islam, but GOD forbid someone push Christianity.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
98 or 99% of conservatives don't belong to or agree with the KKK or other such organization but that never stops liberals from broad painting them all as racists

Bill Mayer speaks out against Islam extremism and is branded as racist, conservatives or anybody who speaks out against illegal immigration are branded racists, fact is progressive liberals use the race card to stomp out real conversation on topics. Progressive liberals are not proponents for free speech, they are in fact very controlling and far from the dictionary term of "liberal".

I suppose liberals go easy on Muslims and look for any reason to put down christians because of the thought of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
I think we can all agree that anyone in the Klan are racist

Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
well this proves one thing, radical liberals hate Christianity. If they did not, they would have stood up to him when he trashed it was well.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
well this proves one thing, radical liberals hate Christianity. If they did not, they would have stood up to him when he trashed it was well.
If anything, many of them actually cheer that on. Sad.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Freedom of speech. Whats the issue?

Whether you agree with Maher or not, the students have a right to protest to, no?
This has nothing to do with rights.

It has to do with the nature of liberalism and the completely useless thing we have today known as "higher education". Let me use someone else's words which are remarkably astute, such that I cannot improve on them...

If You Strike Bill Maher Down, He Shall Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine

Quote:
The Idea Of A University

It seems a quaint notion in the 21st century, but at one time it was thought that a university might assist its students by exposing them to challenging ideas, to be tested in the fires of debate, and thereby to arrive at something approximating an education. Old Thinker John Henry Newman, who as a Catholic convert in 19th century England endured more scorn than any member of Berkeley’s Middle Eastern, Muslim and South Asian Coalition put it thus:

Though they cannot pursue every subject which is open to them, they will be gainers by living among those and under those who represent the whole circle. This I conceive to be the advantage of the seat of universal learning.

By this, Cardinal Newman meant among other things that university students can grow by being exposed to a broad spectrum of fields of learning, and ideas, from a variety of perspectives. Even ideas they might find repugnant (as any conservative or libertarian who’s attended a top flight university could tell you). If the purpose of a liberal education is to make young men and women worldly, they’re going to have to roll up their sleeves and wrestle in the mud with unpleasant thoughts, even thoughts as horrible as those expressed by Bill Maher concerning Islam, genital mutilation, blasphemy laws, and the beheading of infidels.

A liberal curriculum that shields its students from opposing views serves them poorly indeed. Outside the groves of academe, in the real world of horrible jobs, the best and brightest of Berkeley won’t be protected from such heresy. They’ll have to engage with the Bill Mahers of this world as best they can, and they might as well learn to do so in college, by wallowing in such ideas.
It is beyond pathetic that these people believe they must silence all opposing views, rather than challenging them with intellectual muscle. I have no degree at all, and, sad to say, I have been better educated than those protesters.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I find it hillarioius.

He's getting the Sheehan treatment where because she stuck to her anti-war principals she was shoved aside after being used for the 2008 election.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
This has nothing to do with rights.

It has to do with the nature of liberalism and the completely useless thing we have today known as "higher education". Let me use someone else's words which are remarkably astute, such that I cannot improve on them...

If You Strike Bill Maher Down, He Shall Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine

It is beyond pathetic that these people believe they must silence all opposing views, rather than challenging them with intellectual muscle. I have no degree at all, and, sad to say, I have been better educated than those protesters.
For one, I highly doubt Maher is going to mention anything about radical Islam in a commencement speech, so I do agree that the protest is probably over the line.

However, it is their right to protest and sign petitions like this, they should have a right to have their voices heard.

I don't agree with Maher on everything, he is wrong in the aspect that Islam is bad at the core. Its simply a younger religion of third world and backwards nations. Much like Christianity used to be at times in its past. Religions often go through a "growing pain" time of its history, and Islam is no more, or less radical at its base then any of the other Abrahamic religions are. They all follow the same basic guidelines, as laid out in the old testament bible that most people have in their homes here in the states.

Do they need to grow up, and stop the crazy **** they are doing? Yes, most Muslims just want to be left alone and actually fear, instead of support, radical Islam.

Maher is paid to be controversial, as your link states. So when he says things like this, its more about the money then the actual feeling. Maher is opposed to all religion.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
These are the TERMINALLY…OFFENDED!!! They are obsessed with fake outrages.

Super religious folks, Muslims, PETA people, Anti-Gun Nuts, minorities to whom being minority is more important than being people, Illegal Aliens, Atheists, Feminists, tree huggers, global warming alarmists, etc, etc, etc...

The PATHETICALLY offended are those people who, while unoffended personally, reserve the right to be TERMINALLY offended…On behalf of others who may not realize THEY should be TERMINALLY offended by…Just about anything YOU say or do.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
So entertaining when liberals eat their own.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies