Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now," writes Cook. "So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Cook says he's been open with others about being gay, but felt compelled to publicly come out to help others. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," writes Cook. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

The tide of public opinion and laws in this country has already turned in favor of gay marriage. Maybe Cook's coming-out can help turn the tide more decisively against workplace discrimination, too. As Cook noted, it's bad for business.

Your thoughts?
Well I guess that blows my defense of gay not being a choice as many religious folks claim. I always tell them "Come on, who would CHOOSE to be gay?", but if it's one of God's greatest gifts then maybe people are choosing it?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:41 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Well I guess that blows my defense of gay not being a choice as many religious folks claim. I always tell them "Come on, who would CHOOSE to be gay?", but if it's one of God's greatest gifts then maybe people are choosing it?
Nobody is choosing it, some people just view it as a unique outlook on life that gives them a rare perspective others don't have. Doesn't mean it's easier than being straight.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
I'm tired of people acting like being gay is some kind of accomplishment, worthy of praise. I'm not impressed by Tim Cook's sexual persuasion.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Gay? God?

In the same sentence?

It contradicts itself.
^this..I don't see God giving out what He calls an "Abomination" in His word as a "gift"

Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
^this..I don't see God giving out what He calls an "Abomination" in His word as a "gift"
Seeing as abomination doesn't exist in the original Hebrew, he says no such thing. The Bible doesn't discuss same-sex attractions, which is the meaning of "homosexuality". You probably also have no clue that Leviticus applied only to the Israelites in the holy land. Is Tim Cook an ancient Israelite? No? Then Leviticus has no bearing on him.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The Bible is supernatural and God uses it to speak to us in various ways. You know, there are some of us who still believe in the Bible so there is nothing factual about your statement.
And there is nothing factual about the bible or god. The bible is not supernatural. It was written by men and translated many times to suit our language and every other language. When you translate there is a lot of meaning lost because some words can't be translated.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
This is the reason the idiots who proclaim how gay they are do it....
(including this newest one)

Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Nobody is choosing it, some people just view it as a unique outlook on life that gives them a rare perspective others don't have. Doesn't mean it's easier than being straight.
I'm not sure about that, if you find a guy that's close to your own size then you just doubled your wardrobe.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:14 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thank you and this is a very fair post.

I also accept the fact that I can only speak for myself, I don't expect others to live based on what I believe.

My sister is freshly divorced, and has been called by her cheating husband that she was one of those vanilla folks. My sis is a great wife, always has been, she was willing to try at least anything once with her husband in order to save the marriage, all failed. I am inclined to believe that the "vanilla folks" is nothing but an excuse. If the love and attraction is no longer there, the marriage would be doomed even if she turned herself into Madonna. Moral of the story, we all have our struggles, straight, gay, married, single, we are all judged in one way or another. I think it is how we deal with unfairness really matters.

I am all for gay marriage, and if gay people want to go to church, go ahead because the God I believe is all about love. I don't judge.

The reason I created this thread is because I am sick and tired of CEO uses media to gain publicity right before Midterm election. (Of course this is nothing but an opinion). Only a few posters seems to get the message I am trying to send out, this thread unfortunately, turned into a Gay / God debate.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy as many beautiful men as you can. If you are in an exclusive relationship, I wish you are happily ever after. As for me, I am always attracted to men, and I am definitely not threatened by gay life style because all love is beautiful. I have three baby nephews, as an overly protective aunt, I wish they grow up and have kids. But if one of them decided to love another boy, that is fine by me too.

Good luck with everything.
Thank you Lily. I have been with the same man since I was 19, we just had our 35 in July, so are in our 36th year together, married legally since 2008. My sister tried to make it with her husband, got married because she got pregnant at 15, he was 19, stayed married had two kids only. But she tolerated abuse and neglect, tried everything to make it work. She put her self through school and got a business degree, then a job at a bank working herself up the ladder and putting money away for a rainy day. When she had $50,000 saved, she put a down payment on a manufatured home in a mobile home park and moved out. She stayed married to him legally till about 5 years ago, 45 years, but about 35 of it together. I have a wonderfully supportive family and so does my partner. Some day I hope to get both sides together for a both side family reunion. There is a lot of misunderstanding of gay people and all straights have to do is ask and we will tell, just do not judge us for what we are when you do ask. I have had a few straight friends actually ask me questions out of curiosity. Like one is the assumption that all gay men like or do anal sex. Many of us do not like it or practice it. Oddly, I have yet to see any particular gay lifestyle or a particular straight lifestyle. If one walked through my house, they would not say a gay man or two gay men live here, they would probably comment about all the books and all the stuff I collect. I do know gay men that in one moment in their house, you know they are gay, but the same with some straight men I know. Men are just more demonstrative with their sexuality.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
We really care how you build computers...not what you do with your dongle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies