Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times

Advertisements

Under President Bush lite (Obama), the top earners of this country have fared far better than the rest of us and have seen massive gains in their pocket books, yet many middle class individuals struggle and social mobility isn't getting any better.

I mean, I thought the wealth trickled down to all the rest of us......right?!?!?!??!?!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:56 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Maybe you're trolling, but "trickle down" only had a hope of working in a closed economy--what the US had been in the early 80s.

Trickle down doesn't work at all for a particular country in a globalized economy.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Maybe you're trolling, but "trickle down" only had a hope of working in a closed economy--what the US had been in the early 80s.

Trickle down doesn't work at all for a particular country in a globalized economy.
This.

Jobs more likely go overseas now than here. Americans are not loyal to buying American. They have no loyalty. They buy the cheapest product, period. As a result jobs go overseas.

I used to buy American when I had a job that paid well but now I have to shop cheap. I would never have shopped at Walmart before but now it's my store of choice. I can't live on a teacher's salary and my savings from my engineering days will be depleted in about 4 years. I'm praying they start giving teachers raises again. I've had one in 5 years and it got taken away in a pay cut this year. I no longer have the income to be picky. Sometimes I think of all the money I wasted buying American and how much better I would be if I had shopped cheap back then too. Buying American didn't save my job.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:38 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
After if trickles down their leg you get the puddle that is left!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
trickle down is working but globalism is sending that money to other countries.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Under President Bush lite (Obama), the top earners of this country have fared far better than the rest of us and have seen massive gains in their pocket books, yet many middle class individuals struggle and social mobility isn't getting any better.

I mean, I thought the wealth trickled down to all the rest of us......right?!?!?!??!?!!?

Don't confuse Coolidge's small government low taxes idea of trickle down, with Obamas idea of big government more taxes trickle up.

Calvin Coolidge is the only one to use trickle down. All other attempts were not trickle anything. Government never reduced in size. It has grown and grown since Coolidge.

Hoover tripled the size of government and had to raise taxes to pay for it.... Hooverville, research it.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:

There is no such thing as "trickle down economics".

It is a nonsense name applied to a spurious idea.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
It isn't just about cheap products. It is about cheap labor. Consider North Carolina. That is a state with a sparse amount of union influence. Relatively cheap labor for being in the USA. Guess what. It wasn't enough. Textile factories went overseas, leaving many without work. To say that getting rid of unions would work, look to some of the towns in the South that were home to textile industries. Factories up and leaving, going overseas. Not just cheap labor, cheaper land, basically, cheaper everything. No respect for the American worker. This is something buying American could not solve.

Trickle down doesn't work in my opinion.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
It is all about Government Policies favoring the top 1% Investors, Bankers and Executives over the well being of the country. It does not matter what party is in power when the $$backers$$ give to both parties.

If you are one of the wealthy corrupt and well connected, you go to the government for your solutions.
If you are not one of the 1%, you are on your own.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:

It is called trickle up poverty...brought to you by the Marxists in power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies