U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 04:36 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,977,791 times

Advertisements

The textbooks, and American awareness in general ignores the 2 million Armenian Christians slaughtered by the Muslim Turks. Why is this?

Now ISIS is in effect recreating the Caliphate that slaughtered the Armenian Christians in 1915. Does Turkey secretly approve? Is this why they are so reluctant to help the Kurds from being slaughtered by ISIS?

Islamic State (Part 1 of 2): The Armenian Genocide Video (Author: T.C. McCarthy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:43 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,784,589 times
You are making an assumption ... I always knew about the Armenian genocide.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Did you know you can go to PRISON in Turkey for talking about the Armenian genocide?

Erdogan enjoys sweeping genocides under the rug - oh an occupying Cyprus. Turkey surely is a model...modeled after Nazis maybe.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,897,946 times
I knew about the Armenian genocide because I have an uncle whose parents came to Chelsea MA to escape it.

A lot of Americans do not know of the catholic Ustashi's genocide of the Orthodox Serbs in Croatia during WWII either.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:49 AM

11,066 posts, read 6,233,786 times
No kidding.

The typical American college students don't even know “who won the Civil War?”, “What country did we win our independence from?” and, from the current events department, “Who is the Vice President of the United States?”. But, I bet they can easily answer who “snookie” is, and "How many Kardashian sisters are there and what are their names"?

College Insurrection | Higher Education | News and Politics

History is no longer taught in public schools.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM

11,405 posts, read 16,018,854 times
There are a LOT of genocides that most people don't know about. The Armenian genocide is fairly well known considering - mostly because so many survivors came to the US. A quarter of the Cambodian population, more than 2 million people, were victims of genocide under Pol Pot. Minority groups, including Muslims, Christians, and ethnic Vietnamese (many who had fled the Vietnam War), were particularly targeted.

We know about the Shoah for a few reasons:
1. It impacted the developed world in a way that was - and still is - unimaginable. We sort of expect that sort of thing to happen in the developing world, which is why we barely bat an eyelash at hundreds of thousands of people being murdered in Africa and the Middle East until an American gets involved. But Europe in the 1930s and 40s was accessible. Many people were only a generation or two out of Europe. The Holocaust also created an influx of immigrants to tell their stories.
2. The sheer magnitude was unprecedented. 90% of the Jews of Germany, Poland, Lithuania (where my family is fled), Latvia, Estonia, and the Czech Republic perished. 78% of all of Europe's Jews - gone. Europe was depopulated of its Jews outside of small pockets in a few countries - even those who survived did not want to stay. It has been more than 70 years since the Holocaust and there are STILL less Jews in the world than there were in 1942. 11 million non-Jews were killed, including the Partisans, the disabled, the Roma, homosexuals, anyone who tried to protect any of the targeted groups, and more.
3. The countries involved took responsibility, unlike Turkey where few of its citizens are aware to this day. For example, first years at my college are required to read a book that is sent out by the college for an orientation seminar. The book selected for my year was a biography of someone who grew up in the Armenian community nearby after fleeing the Ottoman Empire following the Armenian Genocide as a child. In my discussion group, there was a Turkish international student who was adamant that it never happened. After all, if it happened in his own country, how could he be hearing about it for the first time? Similarly, Japan will not acknowledge the millions killed in the Far East
4. Those involved were literate and connected to the world. When genocide happens in impoverished parts of the world, those involved might not be literate or have ways of getting the word out.

Here's a list of genocides by population: List of genocides by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. How many people know about the Holodomor?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:09 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,662,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I knew about the Armenian genocide because I have an uncle whose parents came to Chelsea MA to escape it.

A lot of Americans do not know of the catholic Ustashi's genocide of the Orthodox Serbs in Croatia during WWII either.
Spot on.

In fact, the last war in the former Yugoslavia was a religious war too. Croatian Catholic and Orthodox Serbian militias (sponsored by their local religious leaders) committing genocide on Muslim Bosnians.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,554,509 times
Quote:

That's true and many of them, don't want to hear about it ? it's all about lobbies !

Old 11-02-2014, 06:43 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,554,509 times
Quote:

No true for everyone, it's on history books, if it's not in the school Europe's history courses ,than we can't blame others.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,977,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Spot on.

In fact, the last war in the former Yugoslavia was a religious war too. Croatian Catholic and Orthodox Serbian militias (sponsored by their local religious leaders) committing genocide on Muslim Bosnians.
They have long memories in the region, going back centuries when the Muslim Ottomans first invaded Serbia.

June 28, 1389, a mighty battle was fought at Kosovo Polje. It pitted the Serbian defenders against the invading Ottoman Empire (Turkey) adherents of the Muslim crescent moon, the Serbs were defeated.

The four centuries of Ottoman tyranny has left a split in the cultural character of the Balkan nations, a split along which there are bloody lines of civil and military strife among the people, all of whom bore the brunt of Muslim tyranny.

History of Jihad against the Serbs, Croats, and Albanians (1389 to 1920)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or