Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In other words ...
There are no other words. The words I used express my perspective. The silly nonsense you made up in a childish attempt to deceptively characterize my perspective reflect your inability to come up with any legitimate response to what I did say. Get over it. You support immoral perspectives. You advocate for things that are unjust. Own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well, 73% of Americans support a higher minimum wage, so why won't they pass it or at least let us vote on it nationally? Could it be that their Walmart, Amazon, and McDonalds bosses would have a fit having to give up a percent of a percent of their profits? Scream that their wages got adjusted for inflation, even though they get millions in bonuses every year?

I guess Gay marriage is the only thing that the majority should get to vote on...even though the majority support that too now.
Since Republicans always want to claim the majority should have it's say...

Being a Conservative you don't know squat what conservatives "want".

Is it your contention that we should legislate by polls now?

EVERY poll taken shows that Americans want a balanced budget. Why haven't the dems done it?

Every poll says Americans want term limits. Why haven't the dems done THAT yet.

Post fail on MULTIPLE points.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There are no other words. The words I used express my perspective. The silly nonsense you made up in a childish attempt to deceptively characterize my perspective reflect your inability to come up with any legitimate response to what I did say. Get over it. You support immoral perspectives. You advocate for things that are unjust. Own it.
Pretty high and mighty.

My perspective is that is unjust to criminalize the sale of low-skill labor for its market value. The proposal to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 is projected to cause 500,000 job losses, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

I will not call you immoral, because I think ignorance is a more charitable explanation. I cannot believe you desire to inflict more misery on those trying to get on the bottom rung of the ladder, and deny hundreds of thousands their chance to get ahead. Many people in all walks of life will tell you that they learned a lot of valuable lessons on their first job: an opportunity you would deny.

Above-market wages are not sustainable. The UAW learned that, the Hostess drivers learned that, the Safeway and Albertson's employees learned that, but you have not caught on. Too bad.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There are many many things for which many Americans "want" what's good and right and fair, but for which they actively support the contrary.

Many Americans know "what should be" but also know that changing society to "what should be" would, in many ways, adversely affect their own personal situation. They are willing to care about others only to the extent that doing so doesn't take away anything from themselves.

For this kind of American, their support for "what should be" crumbles whenever a change, consistent with their professed values (such as one to reduce the economic injustice suffered by others), is proposed, if that change also is likely to eat into their own comfort and luxury.
Since the U.S. controls 50% of the world's wealth would you advocate spilling that wealth out of the country to the rest of the world?

Unless you are living a spartan existence in the wilds of Alaska, your own comfort and luxury far exceeds that of about 90% of the world's population.

What do you say bUU, are you prepared to live the life of a citizen of Chad in order to achieve world economic justice?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-02-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:44 AM

553 posts, read 595,464 times
Question It's Lunchtime

It's Lunchtime! Joe's or Tony's? They're only a block apart. Both serve pretty much the same menu. Both seat about the same number of people. Both offer a $10 meal.

Then one day Tony raised his price to $10.40. But Joe kept his price at $10 and even personally served you himself. No question where to go now! You're going to Joe's! About four months later you noticed Tony had gone out of business. Well served him right! Too bad for the people that worked there--kind of hard to find work, you know--but who'd he think he was, raising his prices like that? Hey! Who'd he think you were? Did he think you owed him your business or something? Joe was only a block away and Joe knew how to treat you right!

What happenned was the Minimum Wage doubled with no corresponding decrease in taxes. So Tony raised his prices 4% to cover the added expense. But Joe realized the added expense about equaled what he paid one waitress. So Joe fired a waitress and began serving customers himself. That's what's going to happen--and you agreed with me up until this paragraph, didn't you?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
It's Lunchtime! Joe's or Tony's? They're only a block apart. Both serve pretty much the same menu. Both seat about the same number of people. Both offer a $10 meal.

Then one day Tony raised his price to $10.40. But Joe kept his price at $10 and even personally served you himself. No question where to go now! You're going to Joe's! About four months later you noticed Tony had gone out of business. Well served him right! Too bad for the people that worked there--kind of hard to find work, you know--but who'd he think he was, raising his prices like that? Hey! Who'd he think you were? Did he think you owed him your business or something? Joe was only a block away and Joe knew how to treat you right!

What happenned was the Minimum Wage doubled with no corresponding decrease in taxes. So Tony raised his prices 4% to cover the added expense. But Joe realized the added expense about equaled what he paid one waitress. So Joe fired a waitress and began serving customers himself. That's what's going to happen--and you agreed with me up until this paragraph, didn't you?
No.

I'd go to the one that has better food. If that's a wash, I'd go to the one that treats employees better.

Even from a purely selfish point of view, I want people to make enough to at least survive. If people have no money, they won't buy what my company is producing and that will ultimately hurt my salary and bonus. Think of it as trickle up suffering. When you screw the littlest guy, all the guys a step or two or three above him also get screwed.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How come these 73% aren't at their city hall meetings to get local laws passed like they did in Seattle and SF ?

$15/hour is more doable at the city level.
Depends on the state, not all states allow cities to set their own minimum wage.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on the state, not all states allow cities to set their own minimum wage.
What states say municipalities cant set higher minimum wages than the state minimum?

And dont these cities, pay more than mimimum wage due to demand to pay more? Meaning the argument that the govt must raise it is crap.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What states say municipalities cant set higher minimum wages than the state minimum?
For starters, Oklahoma.
Oklahoma governor signs law barring cities from raising minimum wage | Al Jazeera America

Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So everyone in Oklahoma works for minimum wage?

I think not.. And since clearly they dont, then the left wing argument that if we didnt have one everyone would be working for pennies is garbage..

After the governor signed the law on Monday, her office released a statement that said raising the minimum wage is not an effective way to bring people out of poverty.

This would be absolutely correct..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies