Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Pretty high and mighty.
You think it is "high and mighty" to say that I get to decided what my perspective is and that someone else doesn't get to make up silly nonsense and then claim I said it? Well let's just say that such "thinking" is quite "interesting" and "imaginative".

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I will not call you immoral, because I think ignorance is a more charitable explanation.
Except, of course, I didn't say what you're claiming was an ignorant statement. Wow you two are really good tag team - one makes up stuff and claims I said it, and then the other attacks it. If you two are so into just having conversations with yourself why bother with a discussion forum? Since it is clear you have no interest in actually responding to what those who disagree with you actually post, why pollute the thread with your pointlessly self-centered drivel? You can just type it into a notepad program and read it yourself and it'll have as just much value.

The childish, self-centered attitudes of the right-wing never cease to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The left in general - and probably you specifically, although I'm not going to bother going digging
Thanks for admitting, in advance, your willful and conscious ignorance, and your intention to spew nonsense despite that ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Liberal hypocrisy/inconsistency on parade...
Right-wing weak-mindedness on parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:30 AM

553 posts, read 595,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No.

I'd go to the one that has better food. If that's a wash, I'd go to the one that treats employees better.

Even from a purely selfish point of view, I want people to make enough to at least survive. If people have no money, they won't buy what my company is producing and that will ultimately hurt my salary and bonus. Think of it as trickle up suffering. When you screw the littlest guy, all the guys a step or two or three above him also get screwed.
Oh how noble of you.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well, 73% of Americans support a higher minimum wage, so why won't they pass it or at least let us vote on it nationally? Could it be that their Walmart, Amazon, and McDonalds bosses would have a fit having to give up a percent of a percent of their profits? Scream that their wages got adjusted for inflation, even though they get millions in bonuses every year?

I guess Gay marriage is the only thing that the majority should get to vote on...even though the majority support that too now.

If the majority of the people want it, then so be it.

If it really would help the working poor (without severe consequences), then I am all for it.

Of course, it is mostly a political tactic, as only 5% on those employed make minimum wage. But hey, if people want it, then go for it. Just be prepared for some of the inevitable consequences, as I would offer it would be difficult to reduce it.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Since Republicans always want to claim the majority should have it's say...

IF that were true there'd be a Republican movement to abolish the Electoral College, eh?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Lets see.
The Majority opposed Obamacare. Did the Democrats care?
The majority want our immigration laws enforced. Do the Democrats care?
No, they do not.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Well, 73% of Americans support a higher minimum wage,...
Are 73% of Americans aware that the US has 1,539 separate economies?

Are 73% of Americans aware that the Cost-of-Living varies greatly across those 1,539 separate economies?

Are 73% of Americans aware that the government says $4.55/hour is a "Living Wage" for some single Americans?

Are 73% of Americans aware that the government says $26.75/hour is not a "Living Wage" for some single Americans?

Are 73% of Americans aware that India is ramping up to the 2nd Level Economy and that Americans cannot compete against Rajiv in India earning the $0.28/hour minimum wage?

Are 73% of Americans aware that the best and most expensive private school in India costs $106.54 per year per child?

Are 73% of Americans aware that 2nd Level Economy jobs will be off-shored to India, and that when China moves into its 3rd Level Economy, the US will be losing both 2nd and 3rd Level Economy jobs?

Quote:
...so why won't they pass it or at least let us vote on it nationally?
Because you're a federation and not a nation.

The fact that you cannot differentiate between a federation and a nation is proof you don't have the requisite education, knowledge or intelligence to vote with a clear unbiased mind, voting instead based on illogical emotions that are bigoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How come these 73% aren't at their city hall meetings to get local laws passed like they did in Seattle and SF ?
Quote:
Lets see.
The Majority opposed Obamacare. Did the Democrats care?
The majority want our immigration laws enforced. Do the Democrats care?
The majority has never mattered to either party. They just do what they want.
Touche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You support immoral perspectives. You advocate for things that are unjust. Own it.
Explain for us the morality of taking our money and giving it to others to buy beer and lotto tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Since the U.S. controls 50% of the world's wealth would you advocate spilling that wealth out of the country to the rest of the world?
No, of course not. But then, what did you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So?

The purpose and function of municipal government is to coordinate services.

Wages and other such issues --- like human rights and war/conflict -- are not within the purview of municipal government.

Seeing how your knowledge of government is incredibly lacking, I would remind you that the FDR Administration claimed labor was Interstate Commerce, in order to justify its minimum wage legislation.

Since when do cities have authority in matters of Interstate Commerce?

Quote:
...so why won't they pass it or at least let us vote on it nationally?

That would be another bright shining example of why you'll never be able to vote on it nationally....

Mircea

Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since Republicans always want to claim the majority should have it's say...

IF that were true there'd be a Republican movement to abolish the Electoral College, eh?
the republican movement backs the constitution . Since the electoral college is in the constitution the republicans would back it

Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, they do not.
Hmmmm
Poll: Do you support or oppose the health care law? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
54% oppose the ACA. A CNN poll no less.
a 2010 poll
New CNN Poll: 59% Oppose Obamacare
A poll done by Harvard
Majority Disapprove of Health Care Law; Believe Their Costs Will Rise and Quality Will Fall | The Institute of Politics at Harvard University
Yet the Democrats passed it even though at the time the majority of Americans were opposed to it.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
That's what I meant. Democrats shove things the majority of Americans don't want down all Americans' throats. Hopefully, tomorrow, they'll pay for that by losing the Senate.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"What states say municipalities cant set higher minimum wages than the state minimum?" -pghquest

This was your question you asked. I gave you an answer to that question. So this rant you are trying to pull, I have no interest in, I was just answering your question you asked.

Also, I noticed you added to that post after I already responded to you. I cant answer questions for you that you hadn't asked when I posted.
I note you havent addressed the issue that people dont work for minimum wage now for the most part, which means the babble you guys continue to make that without minimum wage, people would be working for a few dollars a day is utterly ridiculous....

Care to address the point or just ramble on nonsensical as always?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies