Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:53 AM

671 posts, read 890,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Rose colored glasses.

People generally get along better now as old racists die out. But the racists who are still around now have an easy platform to spread their views.
Old racist??? That's age discrimination laddy...and in todays world that falls under racism.......So that makes you exactly what you purport to despise.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post

Here in America it seems to be so much different. So my question is this, specifically from Whites and Blacks, why do you HATE each other.

Why do you feel and think the way you do about other races and what have been your experiences with them?[/b] Seriously guys/gals, if you consider yourself an adult, act like one and keep it civilized. This is a chance to gain a perspective from someone else's eyes and ears. [b]
I think racism in Europe is different. In Europe racism, in it's modern form, has been around for a smaller percentage of history and so is less ingrained, and perhaps declines more quickly. However, There is plenty of racism in Europe, let's not deny that.

I grew up overseas although I was born here in the United States. My parents wanted me to learn different culture and different languages. I have to say that America is still the best country in the world. I haven't experienced much racism in European countries myself, but that doesn't mean racism doesn't exist there.

Russia/Eastern Europe is FAR worse than Italy. The worst thing you'll see in either Spain or Italy is soccer hooligans making fun of a black player. Not that that's ok, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Southern Europeans probably have more prejudices on average than many folks in countries like the U.K., France, or crazy enough, Germany these days, but they're mild compared to Eastern Europe nowadays.

Though you might expect the richer, better-educated Western European nations to be more tolerant than those in Eastern Europe, that's not exactly the case.

This is just an opinion, in my experience, Latin America in one of the most tolerant in racial issues. Asians and SOME European countries are the least.

America is still a great melting pot, we have our flaws, but we are definitely NOT more racist than Europeans. Too much diversity is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-02-2014 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 11-02-2014, 05:34 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It's not a military mindset. Despite the garbage people on here spew, most people don't care what race you are so long as you are a decent person. There are great people in all races just as there are scumbags in all races. You just can't lump everyone into a bad category because of one person. This applies to races as well as political affiliation (I'm speaking to you, CD P&OC).

I really have a hard time believing race is as big of an issue as it is being made to be. You have the race pimps out there trying to keep racism alive because it is their meal ticket and keeps their faces on camera, and their names relevant. Aside from that, I can't think of many times in my life where I have seen race be a factor. In my business with my clientele, I'm exposed to just about endless opportunities to see complaints. For those who don't know, I'm a property manager and manage rentals in mostly low-income neighborhoods and have about a 90% black client base. I have one actual African-American who came here from Senegal. To listen to him, you'd think he was a member of the KKK. (Whole other story)

I really thinik race is all in what you want to make it. If you want to get along, it's all good. If you want to use it as a crutch, expect resistance. If you want to use race as an excuse for everything you do, be ready for whatever comes your way.
Agreed.

1 thing some people of all "races" forget is how FAR Black people have come in the US from Jim Crow. I def know about the huge hood rat problem but; more and Black people ARE stepping up, especially the ladies, and are taking care of business.

Word was the closest "culture" to Black people as a group were us "Irish" even up till JFK became POTUS in 1960. Till WE stopped being Shanty Irish and became Lace Curtain Irish, we were looked down as just trash, even by "free people of color" 200 years ago.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:36 AM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
People are people.

The thing I'm sick and tired is are the people who see race as an argument.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:47 AM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times
I don't think it is much about race/skin color anymore. It's culture clash. The U.S. is the most diverse culturally and I think it is an experiment that has gone awry. No other country in the world began with so much immigration from all over the world and continues so.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No they did not. What makes you think they did.
I think they did.

Like my grandma said, "people knew their place".

Old 11-02-2014, 07:30 AM

[quote=70Ford;37113527]
Quote:
T Whites and Blacks, why do you HATE each other.

If you're half White and half Black it must be hard to go through life hating yourself everyday.
Yes.....that could be true.

Even if you are the POTUS.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
People are people.

The thing I'm sick and tired is are the people who see race as an argument.
You can be sick of it....but, that does not change things.

I have posted this before......as a teen and young adult.....I wanted to be black.

That to me at the time would have been just cool.

Maybe part of me still does......I am at the tanning booth 3 or, 4 days a week.

But, then something changed......I found out it was MY money the government wanted.

I started watching the news.

Now......I guess I am a racist.......but, that is OK.

I have a right to be a racist.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban;37112651 Scenarios like that are soooooo common growing up on a military base. Other Military Brats understand this. I guess you're forced to try and get along when confined to the perimeter the security gates. We were not without our social problems, but we (or at least us dependents) were so blind to color and at least showed sympathy towards one another.

Here in America it seems to be so much different. So my question is this, specifically from Whites and Blacks, why do you HATE each other. Yes various black people have hood and heathen ways, but not all of us are like that. [/COLOR
[/b]

[/url]
i grew up military brat too and there was no such thing as race, a captain was a captain. when dad retired out of tyndall aft in panama city fla. I had to go to public school. The actually black student told me, we had to have a hate age to the black community, that we couldn't be friends, it had to be a disequal or they have nothing to complain about.

this been since 1980 but he was saying if they was treated equal, they would loose welfare and have to get jobs.. they actually wanted to be talked down to.

Last edited by brownbagg; 11-02-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:48 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
This is something I am having a hard time with. I am a black young male who grew up as a Military Brat.
One thing I like about military culture is that everything is earned, not demanded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies