U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM

1,143 posts, read 901,617 times

Advertisements

I know scary thought, but I couldn't do any worse than Obama..

1. Total freeze on the federal budget or a 10% cut across the board

2. Cut back on the military budget---get out of europe

3. Reduce cooperate taxes.

4. Walk away from NAFTA

5. Cut back on EPA's budget and regulations

6. Enforce the border

7. Start deportations of all illegals

8. issue additional licenses for nuclear power plants

9. approve the keystone pipeline

10. open restricted federal lands and offshore drilling to further oil exploration

11. reduce or eliminate the federal gas tax

12. build more oil refineries

13. Repeal Obamacare

14. Open all federal lands for development of housing for lower income families

15. Put together a task force to come up with a plan for Americans that can't afford health insurance thru
the private sector

16. Do Away with the IRS initiate a flat tax

17. End subsidiaries to green energy.

18. Reduce or eliminate foreign aid.

19. Make America the #1 priority!!!

Last edited by gretsky99; 11-03-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:40 PM

11,818 posts, read 8,237,362 times
#20 make it a requirement of all who seek public office to have once served in a branch of the military. We have too many career lawyer politicians that haved lost touch.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:41 PM

50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Needless to say that you won't be winning a Nobel Prize for original ideas.

That reads like a taping of the Hannity show...defense cuts aside.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 6,267,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post

4. Walk away from NAFTA

6. Enforce the border

10. open restricted federal lands and offshore drilling to further oil exploration

13. Repeal Obamacare

15. Put together a task force to come up with a plan for Americans that can't afford health insurance thru
the private sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
#20 make it a requirement of all who seek public office to have once served in a branch of the military. We have too many career lawyer politicians that haved lost touch.
Sounds good to me !

Old 11-03-2014, 12:52 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,839,724 times
Quote:

Not into hatchet handed cuts, but I could see a freeze. We're no longer in the economic situation requiring additional spending.

Quote:
Sure

Quote:
Hmmm not so much. As a % of our revenue for our budget they are at a all time low. How about a compromise-we reduce the tax rate, but offset that by killing off some of the loopholes for a revenue neutral result?

Quote:
4. Walk away from NAFTA
Agreed in many ways. study it first to decide...but im inclined to agree.
Quote:
Disagree. I like clean air and water. Once you've been overseas in some place like China you suddenly respect the EPA a lot.

Quote:
6. Enforce the border
Hmmm..yes and no. We DO enforce our borders-its just we dont do so well. I dont want to spend more on this.

Quote:
Sure. But I would add something to these illegals topics-imprison those who employ them, and introduce a worker registration requirement.

Quote:
Hmmmm...Im not sure thats the underlying issue, but im all in agreement with the idea.

Quote:
While nice for Canada all it does is cause us grief. Not sure I want a canadian company using eminent domain on americans.
Quote:
No. They've got tons of oil drilling spots already.

Quote:
And replace that income with? Seriously, what do you replace the income with? Or are you for higher deficits?

Quote:
thats not a governmental decision.

Quote:
13. Repeal Obamacare
No. it helps too many folks. Now if you want to implement universal healthcare as the majority of countries do, then we're talking. But just repealing it brings us back to a worse place.

Quote:
No. You're oversimplifying a complex issue.

Quote:
the private sector
So after getting rid of obamacare, then you fix the issue that obamacare is designed to fix?

Quote:
Tell you what, force states to also receive all income through a flat tax with no fee based incomes, and maybe I would agree.

Quote:
Disagree. The subsidies arent that expensive and are helping a lot of technological advances.

Quote:
Agreed with the exception of things that can be of direct benefit to us. This probably represents about 10% of our foreign aid in my opinion.
Quote:
Sure.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:52 PM

114 posts, read 118,898 times
Legalize the growing of marijuana for personal use. Do NOT legalize sale of pot in any manner.

Get out of the student loan program....all it's done is make colleges too expensive.

Institute a minimum 35% income tax rate for anyone with taxable income over $1 million

Move National Health Insurance to Medicare, no more private health insurance companies.

Implement a guest worker program for migrant farm workers.

Require minimum 40 miles per gallon highway on all non-commercial vehicles by 2020.

Require that all Federal, State and Municipal purchases of goods be manufactured in the US.

Stop all farm subsidies.

Pass amendment to abolish Electoral College; total popular vote elects President.

Hold National Elections over the first weekend in November; polls open at least 24 hours.

Require that persons running for House or Senate have lived in that state for at least 5 years.

Require that all Congresspeople/Senators publicly disclose ALL meetings and phone calls with lobbyists, including topics discussed.

Eliminate Saturday delivery of Mail immediately. By 2017, reduce mail delivery service to 3 days a week.

Eliminate all Federal jobs that do not have direct contact with the public.

Last edited by franniejacks; 11-03-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,187,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Not into hatchet handed cuts, but I could see a freeze. We're no longer in the economic situation requiring additional spending.

Sure

Hmmm not so much. As a % of our revenue for our budget they are at a all time low. How about a compromise-we reduce the tax rate, but offset that by killing off some of the loopholes for a revenue neutral result?

Agreed in many ways. study it first to decide...but im inclined to agree.

Disagree. I like clean air and water. Once you've been overseas in some place like China you suddenly respect the EPA a lot.

Hmmm..yes and no. We DO enforce our borders-its just we dont do so well. I dont want to spend more on this.

Sure. But I would add something to these illegals topics-imprison those who employ them, and introduce a worker registration requirement.

Hmmmm...Im not sure thats the underlying issue, but im all in agreement with the idea.

While nice for Canada all it does is cause us grief. Not sure I want a canadian company using eminent domain on americans.

No. They've got tons of oil drilling spots already.

And replace that income with? Seriously, what do you replace the income with? Or are you for higher deficits?

thats not a governmental decision.

No. it helps too many folks. Now if you want to implement universal healthcare as the majority of countries do, then we're talking. But just repealing it brings us back to a worse place.

No. You're oversimplifying a complex issue.

So after getting rid of obamacare, then you fix the issue that obamacare is designed to fix?

Tell you what, force states to also receive all income through a flat tax with no fee based incomes, and maybe I would agree.

Disagree. The subsidies arent that expensive and are helping a lot of technological advances.

Agreed with the exception of things that can be of direct benefit to us. This probably represents about 10% of our foreign aid in my opinion.

Sure.
^^^^This^^^ When are you gonna run GW..send me a bumpersticker

Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM

3,659 posts, read 2,330,683 times
One that is counterintuitive to my conservatism: Institute a 50% short term capital gains tax for assets held less than 3 months. It time for CEO's to be driven by long term thinking not the needs of the day traders.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:26 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,728,826 times
1 - These are guidelines for a EMPEROR, not a president. . .who can't do any of these damn things

I would make the federal budget follow the same budgeting rules as corporations. The current one is fake. . .not real. . .not trustworthy. Visibility first. But I would cut the budget through focus, not general statements.

I would reduce funding to pre-WW2 funding, accounting for inflation. oh wait a second, maybe they are doing that. I would not tell the military where or where they shouldn't be (not a president decision) though I would not authorize anything above drone strikes on all future conflicts

i would zero out the tax code, eliminate all subsidies, etc. Then set corporate tax rates to a competitive amount. The problem is today our tax rates rates are smoke screen for a blinded populace. They are fiction. . .and if you reduce them without controlling the other crap. . .your not actually doing anything.

4. Walk away from NAFTA
not me, this #@!@ is awesome. In fact, I would look at expanding it. . .and explore a North American currency between US and Canada . . maybe not mexico until they get their crap together.

When I reduce and eliminate subsidies and adjust the corporate tax rate, I would add in a adjusted for inflation amount that gives the EPA the ability and mandate to help US combat climate change. Most likely I would end up boosting the EPA significantly. Bet on the future, not on the past.

6. Enforce the border
Me to. I would do this by allowing unlimited short-term visas (renewable) to all employers who have a job/want to hire persons from other countries. Person must verify not a criminal, and be taxed, and have a place of residence (i.e. a house).

add - who do not have a job.

No issue with increased Nuclear power.

leave that to the states impacted.

leave that to the states impacted.

now that is stupid. We need to plan for a future without gas (or very high cost gas). What worked in Europe will work here. I would start a slow climb of the federal gas tax with funds be used in alternate transportation (some local and some nationwide) with us eventually matching Europe in price per gallon. I would also place toll roads on all federally funded interstates with funds to be used for alternate transportation.

I'm no commie, and thus leave that to privates.

13. Repeal Obamacare
I would keep Obamacare for the most part, but significantly increase the penalties for not getting insurance. I would add on legislative framework to improve transparcy so consumers can make better healthcare decisions (at the beginning of the doctors appointment you must provide estimate; hospital can not change estimate without decision (up to a certain amount); data must be available to use for estimating, cost, etc). Hospital and insurance must be able to give you total out of pocket for the stay (which is within 10% of estimate) on the day of service (or day leaving service).

like parks? that is ridiculous

the private sector

why does emperor need task forces

yeah, no. Progressive taxes are better for social stability. i would eliminate all deductions though.

Fund subsidies to green energy via corporate on limited/non-renewable resources.

no issue there

yeah, make you the number one priority and screw the future.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:31 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:

4. Walk away from NAFTA

6. Enforce the border

13. Repeal Obamacare

the private sector

So is this a list if you were king? Thankfully a president doesn't have the power to do all of these things, it requires a collection of elected officials working together to get things like these done. And my guess is the outcome isn't what you would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or