Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Obama doesn't have a legacy as far as I'm concerned. He only got to pass Obamacare. Everything else has been stalled / blocked.
Legacies are made up of successes and failures on different levels. Foreign policy plays a big role in one's legacy and Obama's handling of foreign policy has been dismal to say the least. As of now, taking everything into consideration, his failures out number is successes, giving him a legacy of failure.

He is going to have to work very hard the next two years to improve his legacy as it stands now, which I don't think he is capable of doing.

Maybe if he instructs Harry to sign some of the 250 bills sitting on his (Reid) desk would be a good place to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
If the republicans in congress do good things with their majority and Obama ends up getting partial credit for it, I'm ok with that. It's more important that good things get done, considering how much this country is hurting right now. Maybe a republican congress and a democrat president works best for us right now, after all as the OP mentioned it worked out well for Clinton. The GOP just has to be aggressive in making sure Obama get partial credit, not the whole credit, when 2016 rolls around though, or we'll end up right back where we started with democrats running all 3 branches and running roughshod over our nation.

That being said, I'm not expecting much out of this present arrangement. I don't think Obama has it in him and frankly I'm not sure the senior GOP leaders do either. I think they(both dems and reps, to be clear) have other priorities that have more to do with the wallets of their benefactors than the good of the country.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:57 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
These are facts! I've never been able to wrap my head around how the Dems could say the GOP were the ones obstructing. They have been the obstructionists from day one. Reid did it to protect Obama from having to make decisions, that, frankly, he couldn't have made without abandoning his agenda of fundamentally changing America.

Reid was complicit in illegally holding the law-making process of our country hostage.
Exactly! He should be held accountable for that.

And the only reason the Dems can get away with calling the GOP obstructionists when the Dems were the real culprits is because Dem voters aren't smart enough to recognize what a HUGE lie that was.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Obama's veto will be their biggest strength in 2016, not weakness. If they get that, they'll pass all the stuff they've promised, send it to Obama in large volumes, and then will cruise to easy 2016 victory.
Exactly so. This should be fun to watch.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically in reality both Reagan and Clinton were much more experience politicians. Clinton learned when he wasn't reelected in Arkansas. He moved to center and was elected again. Reagan learned from being governor of California. They both had to deal with other party in states to get anything done. Politics has always been the art of compromise and Obama came in with no experience as executive and took the elections have consequence down your throat path. Bush compromised to get his Medicare drug bill passed with Democrats. Contrast that with ACA which no republican input was allowed. Basically you want both parties to have skin in the game to successful govern.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The claim that only one side of the political fence has been unwilling to work with the other is frankly untrue.

Obama started out of the gate with what he thought was a "mandate" and even many of his own democrats (blue dogs) balked at it.

The republicans of course balked, blocked and stalled but when they are being froze out because the dems thought they could go it alone....that's what is going to happen.

So, hopefully now with a reset, both sides can come together and find some come ground instead of acting with hubris and petulance towards one another. If not, the reps will suffer greatly in 2016 and Obama will have gone down as a president that was unable to work across the aisle despite partisan cries that it was all the republicans fault. (Nobody in the middle is buying it guys, even Clinton managed to work across the aisle and you might recall that Hillary warned that Obama was too green to be effective back in the primaries.)
in other words you want the republicans to be democrats, and do what obama wants, and the reality is they cannot do that. they must do what they have been doing and let obama show his true colors. granted there does have to be some compromise with congressional democrats, but the people have spoken this time around, and they dont want what the democrats have been pushing for the last six years. if they did, the democrats would have won back the house, and held the senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies