Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Many of us that were around remember Clintons policies failing myserably, which is why the Congress went from Democratic to GOP during his term.

After this happened the GOP passed bills which Clinton fought against, but ended up signing, or they over rode his veto.

Then we received an almost balanced budget, jobs, and a booming economy of which Clinton took credit for the results.

What are the odds the GOP can do the same for Obamas legacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
There were still a few people left in the GOP back in the 1990s. I doubt that today's GOP could muster up enough civic responsibility and social conscience to do anything other than harming those most vulnerable in society to foster the comfort and luxury of those they work for. I'd love to be proven wrong. I would love to see the Republicans turn 180° and start proposing compassionate programs that shift more of the expenses of operating government onto those who benefit the most financially rather than their current approach of promoting abrogation of society's obligation, i.e., employing callous disregard for others, to avoid feeling what it feels like to be the agent putting in action patently self-motivated policies.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I actually think that's what is going to happen...GOP passes legislation setting the country back on a growth course and Obama will take credit. Only question is whether or not he will try to block everything. At least Bill was busy chasing **** tang and would sign anything to get it over with so he could go back to his interests.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Will the GOP save Obamas legacy like they saved Clintons? Not if he sticks his head in the toilet and pretends they don't exist.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
If they act like fiscal conservatives, they may, but they haven't acted like fiscal conservatives in a long time.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:10 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Obama doesn't have a legacy as far as I'm concerned. He only got to pass Obamacare. Everything else has been stalled / blocked.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Obama doesn't have a legacy as far as I'm concerned. He only got to pass Obamacare. Everything else has been stalled / blocked.
ObamaCare never passed, at least not the proper legislative way. One version with certain House friendly stuff passed the House, another version got admin dragged through the Senate after bribing three Dem senators, and the two different versions were melded together using reconciliation procedure to concoct the law as we know it. It did not follow the normal legislative process of one version passing the House and that SAME version being passed by the Senate. Didn't happen that way.

And all that machination happened when Obama enjoyed his temporary filibuster proof Senate majority. Even with that big of a majority, legislative trickery was required to sorta_kinda pass a law that is just as unpopular now as it was the day it oozed out of the Senate.

To be fair though, his name gets attached to it, but he had nothing to do with it minus all his lies he told while trying to sell it. He didn't write it, he had nothing to do with what went in it, and he wasn't part of the bribes that got paid out to get the last Dem holdouts on board. Yes, he has been the most visible person violating what he refers to as "the law of the land" via executive orders and promises that his DoJ and IRS will not enforce parts of the law that make Dems look bad, but the passage of the law itself...no, I don't really credit him minus the aforementioned lies.

And how does a law get stalled when all laws originate in the House? There are 300+ bills waiting for debate in Senate sitting on Harry Reid's desk that never even came to the Senate floor. The House has passed a budget every year since the GOP took the House back, and not one ever made it past the Senate. You want to pin blame for stall/block, talk to Reid, since he's fashioned himself god-emperor of DC, even above Obama. Presidents do not make laws, the House and Senate make them. The House has done plenty that you're not supposed to know about, and it all died on Harry Reid's desk.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I doubt it. In '94, Clinton had only been in office for 2 years. The adults didn't have that much damage to undo. With 6 years of Obama's policies and practices in effect it will take a lot longer to clean up the mess.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
it will depend on what the republicans decide to do, and what obama decides to do. will the republicans put up bills that will do some good for the country, and will obama sign them? at this point obama is going to have to make some hard decisions, something he has trouble doing by the way, and he is going to have to stand for something.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Many of us that were around remember Clintons policies failing myserably, which is why the Congress went from Democratic to GOP during his term.

After this happened the GOP passed bills which Clinton fought against, but ended up signing, or they over rode his veto.

Then we received an almost balanced budget, jobs, and a booming economy of which Clinton took credit for the results.

What are the odds the GOP can do the same for Obamas legacy?
The question is "Can Obama move to the middle and work with the GOP?"

Clinton was able to reset and got some good things, and some horrible things (repealed Glass Steagall,) accomplished. Can Obama do the same? I hope so, but I won't hold my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I doubt it. In '94, Clinton had only been in office for 2 years. The adults didn't have that much damage to undo. With 6 years of Obama's policies and practices in effect it will take a lot longer to clean up the mess.
If a president ever seemed to be intentionally trying to bring down the Republic, Obama would certainly be at the top of the list. The damage that he and Reid have done may take decades to repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies