Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I find this hilarious.

Like Tyrants of any kind care about your gun rights. They always will have bigger guns than you. They will always be able to turn your neighbors against you. What a fantasy world where you sit there and think you will be some savior against the evil US govt.

at which point the US govt becomes your Tyrant
1 - a lot of people will think your crazy, and like the tyrant (China is popular with its people)
2 - if you don't conform, it can do with you legally what it wishes
3 - at that point it would be easy to take your guns

your about as likely protecting us from a Zombie invasion as a tyrannical united states. I do have a tin foil song for the conspiracy theorist . . here.

Regulating the guns isn't about tyranny

its about wanting a fricken homicide rate on par with other western nations
"From Chicago" is part of your user name. Considering that Chicago has historically had some of the strictest gun control laws, as well as one of the highest murder rates, what in the world makes you think that stricter gun laws =/= lower homicide rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:11 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Quote:
Australia and Britain don't ban guns, they just have regulations around the ownership. . and are pretty tough and restrictive.
For all intents and purposes, private citizens in the UK may not own either handguns or semi-automatic rifles in calibers above .22. The exceptions are so limited as to be meaningless.

Pretty much the same case in Australia where semi-automatic centerfire rifles are only available to people who are professionals, and the only people that can own handguns are target shooters, and the regulations and process to get there is onerous.

You may quibble and say it's not really a ban, but for all intents and purposes ordinary people are not going to be owning these classes of firearms in those countries.

Quote:
I think it would take some people with more money than the NRA, because right now. .. people killing people is good business.
What a stupid comment ... "killing people is good business." This question is not about money, it's about the most fundamental human right, which is the right to protect yourself from harm.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:40 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
It's just far more expensive than it ever was before. Wish I had stocked up about twenty years ago - that would have been like investing in gold.

I'm not a gun controller nut. I'm way on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Look what metal prices were back then.....the raw materials alone are wayyyy more expensive.

Global demand and just inflation. You don't remember the old timers when you were a kid complaining about cokes for a nickle? Or McDonalds burgers for a quarter? Well, guess who the old timers are now?

20 Years ago a FULL year at University of Illinois tuition and room/board in the dorm was about 7k.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Australia and Britain don't ban guns, they just have regulations around the ownership. . and are pretty tough and restrictive.

I think it would take some people with more money than the NRA, because right now. .. people killing people is good business.
Quick question Chris.

I assume you are familiar with lincoln park and Austin neighborhoods in Chicago?

They are only a few miles apart, have the same laws, same police department etc. yet one has a gun murder rate of around 1 per 100k and the other has around 35-40 per 100k.

Why is that? Why are the laws working in one place and not the other?
Why do you expect the drug gangs to start following new laws when they don't follow the old ones?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Is there a way?

I feel like I'm the only one who sees it as much closer than people think. Pro-2A guys on other forums say it will never happen, but I don't believe it.

So what would it take to get restrictions similar to those in Britain and Australia? (As you may know both those places enacted draconian laws on guns following Hungerford, Dunblane and Port Arthur.)

I'm curious to know, as I see it closer and closer in the attempts of the coward elites to turn us into a defenseless populace.

what would it take? somewhere near 100 MILLION people just like me dying all at once.

short of that you aint got a prayer. and Thank God!

please move to the british isles if you want a govenmentgod to rule your life. (this line not directed at the OP... just to those who want to ban guns)

Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Quick question Chris.

I assume you are familiar with lincoln park and Austin neighborhoods in Chicago?

They are only a few miles apart, have the same laws, same police department etc. yet one has a gun murder rate of around 1 per 100k and the other has around 35-40 per 100k.

Why do you expect the drug gangs to start following new laws when they don't follow the old ones?

oops...

well said Mathguy!

Old 11-05-2014, 12:59 PM

408 posts, read 214,971 times
Quote:
but if you did amend the US constitution and had that power. .you could quickly pass a law that regulates guns at a federal level that would supersede all state constitutions authorities.

Feds beat states
But the only way to amend the Constitution is with the assent of 3/4 of the states (which @ 50 = 38).

Why would all those states ratify an amendment that would give the feds plenary, preemptive power to restrict the rights of their citizens . . . Citizens who the states call out as those who shall have their rights recognized, respected and secured?

Would enacting it quickly make a difference? LOL

Your Chicago logic fails miserably. . .

Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Quick question Chris.

Gangs don't obey laws. Even more so, alot of gang members don't even value their own lives. I watched Gangland one day, and the episode was taking place in Milwaukee. A few of the gang members were asked where they saw themselves at age 30. The response to the question? Laughter. Some gang members laughed at the idea of living past 30. This shows what kind of mentality many gang members have. Many expect to be dead before 30, and don't really care what happens, so that gives an idea of how much regard they will have for any laws.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Like it or not, but there are far too many Democrats who like to hunt and shoot in blue collar states like PA, New York, Michigan, New Jersey etc. No Democrat that didn't want to commit political suicide in those states will ever give it more than lip service.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Gangs don't obey laws. Even more so, alot of gang members don't even value their own lives. I watched Gangland one day, and the episode was taking place in Milwaukee. A few of the gang members were asked where they saw themselves at age 30. The response to the question? Laughter. Some gang members laughed at the idea of living past 30. This shows what kind of mentality many gang members have. Many expect to be dead before 30, and don't really care what happens, so that gives an idea of how much regard they will have for any laws.
They are also derviving most of their money from the SMUGGLING and sale of illegal drugs.

So, they have an existing mechanism for bringing more guns in regardless of US laws....just like they bring in heroin etc.

In fact, look at the meth trade. They made it much harder to get the ingredients here so you know what they do? They make it in Mexico and then just smuggle it in.

Look no further than Mexico as to whom winds up with the guns when you have strict gun laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies