Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe marijuana is harmless
yes 67 45.27%
no 68 45.95%
I don't mind weed, but I hate potheads 13 8.78%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 AM

18 posts, read 17,879 times

Advertisements

Mistakenly I voted for "harmless" but wanted to vote for "harmfull". So please consider my vote as for "No".
Of course marichuana is harmful. It makes people slow and stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,000 times
Nobody has ever died, or even suffered permanent disability, due to a pot overdose. It is ludicrous to outlaw pot while tobacco smoking is perfectly legal--compared to cigarettes, pot is not smoked nearly as often, and health problems from ongoing use are rare. Plus, pot use tends to wane as people age, while (in my experience) cigarette smokers typically smoke heavily until their lungs and overall health are destroyed.

But smoking, the method of utilizing it, certainly is bad for your lungs. As long as you don't over-imbibe, and don't drive or do anything risky, you shouldn't have any problems from using it.

While we know the entire "War on Drugs" is nothing but an expensive smokescreen for yet another Big Government power (and asset) grab, pot is the most obvious example of wasting taxpayer money prosecuting a victimless crime. How our government can pretend they care about Americans' health while ignoring and profiting from the tobacco industry is beyond me.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:58 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And what does that have to do with the medical study I posted???? Did you have a medical study to refute this? Please post it then.
That's not a medical study. It's propaganda.

Quote:
"It found that teens who use majihuana were 63% less likely to complete high school, 62% less likely to earn a college degree, eighteen times more likely to develop marijuana dependence, eight times more likely to use other illicit drugs, and seven times more likely to attempt suicide."
Those projections make no sense.

Plus the suicide attempts? If that was true it would be national news.

I do agree on the illicit drugs issue. Since cannabis is illegal, teens get it from dealers who often have other drugs such as LSD, Angel Dust, Coke and Heroin and don't care about their age and just want to make a buck.

The prohibitionist will ignore that. Instead of having cannabis regulated and legally available to persons over 21, they will instead allow easy access to minors, who go call their dealers and get cannabis easier than adults.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
That's not a medical study. It's propaganda.

Those projections make no sense.

Plus the suicide attempts? If that was true it would be national news.

I do agree on the illicit drugs issue. Since cannabis is illegal, teens get it from dealers who often have other drugs such as LSD, Angel Dust, Coke and Heroin and don't care about their age and just want to make a buck.

The prohibitionist will ignore that. Instead of having cannabis regulated and legally available to persons over 21, they will instead allow easy access to minors, who go call their dealers and get cannabis easier than adults.
Clearly you didn't read it. It was a medical study. Lancet is hardly propaganda. Really, you should try and at least do a minimal amount of research before trying to claim something is 'propaganda' because when you're so devastatingly wrong, as in this case, all you do is make your argument that much weaker.

Honestly, I don't give a hoot if marijuana is legal or not. My point is when people say marijuana causes no harm, they are not telling an accurate story. We have legal products such as cigarettes and alcohol which cause harm as well. If someone wants to partake in those - fine - it's their body and their choice. But I also don't try and say they cause no harm because that would be both intellectually dishonest and flat out not supported in medical studies.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 AM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Now days we have synthetic strains that are over 40%.
There is no such thing as a "synthetic strain". And 40% of what???

Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,399 times
Quote:
Clearly you didn't read it. It was a medical study. Lancet is hardly propaganda. Really, you should try and at least do a minimal amount of research before trying to claim something is 'propaganda' because when you're so devastatingly wrong, as in this case, all you do is make your argument that much weaker.

Honestly, I don't give a hoot if marijuana is legal or not. My point is when people say marijuana causes no harm, they are not telling an accurate story. We have legal products such as cigarettes and alcohol which cause harm as well. If someone wants to partake in those - fine - it's their body and their choice. But I also don't try and say they cause no harm because that would be both intellectually dishonest and flat out not supported in medical studies.
I have not validated your study or how it came to those outlandish conclusions, but corilation does not equal causation. That is, even if it is true, and im not saying it is, that people who dropped out of school or attempted suicide happened to smoke MJ, that does not in any way, shape, or from prove or mean that the use of MJ is thecauses. Plus mj does not have the same affect on the body as alcohol nor does it contain the same additives and chemicals that cigarettes contain. MJ is simply the dried up flower of a plant. Nothing more. No chemicals added to it and it goes through so chemical process similar to alchohol. Its a flower.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:06 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
They literally didn't have weed as potent as what we have now just 20 years ago. The best strains in the world weren't anywhere near 10% potency until the late 80's. Now days we have synthetic strains that are over 40%. At this level of potency, seizures and a complete shutdown of the respiratory system is actually possible as crazy as that sounds. Your tolerance has just gotten higher. The most amazing weed of the 70's would be consider garbage these days
Bwhaha wtf are you talking about dude? Seriously, are you making this up as you go? Like what was previously asked, 40% over what? What is a synthetic strain? What you are referring to is Spice and it is not a "synthetic strain" of cannabis. In fact, it is NOT cannabis at all and does NOT contain THC. It is herbs that have harmful chemical additives and then is cleverly marketed as "synthetic cannabis" aka Spice.

Please know what you're talking about before you speak.

Last edited by DoniDanko; 11-06-2014 at 02:17 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 04:09 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
How? Did one day he smoked one joint too many, so he ended up in the hospital emergency room suffering from marijuana poisoning and, unfortunately, never made it alive out of there?

the guy was probably smoking dope just like he said !!!!dope being crack or meth or so, or some other hard drug but wants to blame weed...

Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
But it's never happened.

a meteor could land on some ones head but its never happened!!! its amazing what people will makeup to defend their stance..

Old 11-06-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
The prohibitionist will often state lies as fact. If their statements were true, this country would be be 99% uneducated, unskilled, unable to compete the simplest task. A person who used cannabis once in their life is in their eyes a drooling idiot.

It is their last line of defense.

The prohibitionist is usually a very sad, angry person.

people that benefit for making up bs propaganda on weed..

1 any persons making money from it being illegal. black market suppliers, cartels etc..

2 anybody that works in the big pharma industry..

3 any DEA or police people involved in the search and eradication for weed, helicopter pilots and so on..

4 the industrial prison complex.. head count is all that matters to them..

5 all alcohol companies, beer wine or hard booze they all got axes to grind..

6 politicians that get greased.

7 people that drink alcohol that never smoked weed, not wanting to admit their drug of choice is worse..

8 brain washed fuddies of the reefer madness era will say any bs!!!! we have a few on here..

Last edited by cruxan; 11-06-2014 at 05:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies