Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe marijuana is harmless
yes 67 45.27%
no 68 45.95%
I don't mind weed, but I hate potheads 13 8.78%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Breathing can be harmful. Using a hammer can be harmful. When people say pot is harmless, it's not meant in an absolute manner. Only a pedant would be unable to discern this.

Compared to other drugs and activities (gambling, for example), pot is indeed harmless. People still believe that pot is dangerous, which is nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The stuff can lead to psychosis.

Stoners are in denial.

it does not matter if they are in denial or not, medicating oneself is considered part of the 9th Amendment. too bad the federal government does not recognize the peoples civil liberties.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
This country is, when compared to most other nations, quite drugged. I'm in full support of legalization. Why? Because absolutely nothing would change, except we wouldn't be providing these folks with free housing (prison). Tell em to get a job and furnish their own expenses, regardless of habit.

I do think drug users should be punished for any crimes they commit while on drugs. But the crime rate in Colorado dropped substantially the first few months after they "legalized" marijuana (still schedule 1 substance according to federal government). Mainly because, local police are now focusing on real crimes... You know, crimes with an actual victim.

At any rate, the war on drugs has only exacerbated the problem, if there even was one to begin with. America is the number one consumer of opiate medications, antidepressants, anti anxiety meds, etc. We are giving amphetamine to young children, while pretending there is some pot peddling dealer lurking around the corner, looking to turn 12 year olds into addicts. Nope, only big pharma.

America is sick. Just look at all the medicine we are consuming. Pot is not even a speck on the radar when it comes to substances to worry about. Ever read the side effect profile of valium or xanax? People take this stuff while driving, operating heavy machinery, and other potentially dangerous tasks without thinking twice. I hear people whining about stoners who might cause accidents due to a joint smoked the night before. Really???

How about legitimate studies or scholarly journals on the subject?

Old 11-08-2014, 01:19 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
LOL
Sorry kid, but you need to do a little more research. They've been making synthetic strains of marijuana for quite some time. They use them to obtain larger amounts of THC and and lower CBD levels.
Synthetic: (of a substance) made by chemical synthesis, especially to imitate a natural product.

You're confusing synthetic with hybrid, or selective breeding.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Yes and No. Can I say that?

It's NOT something that should be a schedule 1 drug or illegal to use. There is nothing "criminal" or "bad" about it.

It should be controlled like some other legal substance. It can harm some people, just like alcohol can, but personal responsibility is preferable to criminal.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes and No. Can I say that?

It's NOT something that should be a schedule 1 drug or illegal to use. There is nothing "criminal" or "bad" about it.

It should be controlled like some other legal substance. It can harm some people, just like alcohol can, but personal responsibility is preferable to criminal.
And THAT is a reasonable answer. I think if more people framed the argument such as you have here, there would wider support. When one side presents something as an absolute, whether it be for or against the legalization of marijuana, it causes their side harm because there almost nothing in life which is an absolute. Thus, one begin to doubt the credibility of the argument. However, if the argument is framed in this as you have done, I think people could begin to see the validity of the argument.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm sort of with you... if you want to get f ing baked just say it... we have all this nonsense with the medical MJ and it seems like people are sort of dancing around the subject.

Just say it.. you wanna get high as F..... as Cypress Hill would say...

Do I believe it's harmless.. IDK.. I don't personally think it is... I think it rots your brain.. but in all fairness I don't have stats in front of me to support it either way.....

I just know when I've been stoned as F I couldn't believe it wouldn't have a long term effect... but whatever... I often wonder the same about too much wine consumption.....

Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
I voted no because I think anything that alters the way your brain functions is not good. I have to question why people feel the need to mess with the functioning of their brains in this way. I think there's something wrong with people who want to use drugs to alter their perception of reality. It's hard enough figuring life out sober.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I voted no because I think anything that alters the way your brain functions is not good.
Which is about 100% of everything you eat and drink.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It should be controlled like some other legal substance.
Yes! Just like carrots and tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies