Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe marijuana is harmless
yes 67 45.27%
no 68 45.95%
I don't mind weed, but I hate potheads 13 8.78%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
A large portion of people that use marijuana actually believe that it's harmless.
Nothing is harmless. Even vitamins can cause illness and death. And too much water can kill you.
------------------------
In the United States, overdose exposure to all formulations of "vitamins" was reported by 62,562 individuals in 2004 (nearly 80% [~78%, n=48,989] of these exposures were in children under the age of 6), leading to 53 "major" life-threatening outcomes and 3 deaths (2 from vitamins D and E; 1 from polyvitaminic type formula, with iron and no fluoride).[2]

Before 1998, several deaths per year were associated with pharmaceutical iron-containing supplements, especially brightly colored, sugar-coated, high-potency iron supplements, and most deaths were children.[5] Unit packaging restrictions on supplements with more than 30 mg of iron have since reduced deaths to 0 or 1 per year.[5] These statistics compare with 59 confirmed deaths due to aspirin poisoning in 2003 [6] and 147 deaths known to be associated with acetaminophen-containing products in 2003.[6]

Hypervitaminosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill - Scientific American

So, how many people wrongly think water and vitamins are harmless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Was just reading about this claim on a medical blog I follow. There's been a study on it. It found that teens who use majihuana were 63% less likely to complete high school, 62% less likely to earn a college degree, eighteen times more likely to develop marijuana dependence, eight times more likely to use other illicit drugs, and seven times more likely to attempt suicide. Now yes, this is teens but to claim that marijuana has no harmful effects upon a person seems to be an overreach.

Young adult sequelae of adolescent cannabis use: an integrative analysis : The Lancet Psychiatry
While I would think that teenage use of any drug including alcohol or pot is certainly likely to be bad for them the article does not establish causality. So is it saying that juvenile delinquents use pot or pot causes juvenile delinquency?

So association...now we need cause. And you should learn to say these things carefully...you imply causation which is not claimed in the article.

Virtually all agree that pot sales be limited to adults.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 AM

106 posts, read 74,729 times
Marijuana does have health risks (actually a lot of legal activities pose health risks) but I believe prohibition is far more dangerous for society.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
Ugh.
Another pot thread.
Isn't it enough that its been legalized in so many places?
I'm so glad I'm not in a place where I have stoners & potheads around me...

I don't believe it's harmless- but I don't care anyways.
I don't like it, (don't even like the second hand pot smoke at concerts)
Other than that I don't worry about if its healthy or not;
It doesn't pertain to me.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Ugh.
Another pot thread.
Isn't it enough that its been legalized in so many places?- No. Prohibition and restricting the choices of others is nothing short of tyranny. It has also proven to be a failure, as history has shown with prohibition of alcohol.
I'm so glad I'm not in a place where I have stoners & potheads around me...But how do you know there aren't those who are around you that don't partake? I'll bet that you would be quite suprised. Stoners come from all walks of life, and all professions.

I don't believe it's harmless- but I don't care anyways.- Nothing in life is harmless, but I don't support prohibition.
I don't like it, (don't even like the second hand pot smoke at concerts) - I can respect that.
Other than that I don't worry about if its healthy or not;
It doesn't pertain to me.
If it's not your thing, I get that. A neighbor of mine while he isn't against legalization, or those who partake absolutely hates weed. He jokes around with myself, his wife, and other neighbors in the neighborhood who partake and calls us "dopers" but as I said he isn't against it, and it is more of a joke. Yet, he can drink with the best of them, and always says that he loves opiates, (no he doesn't take them regularly and in fact it is only when he has had a medical procedure) and his drug of choice would be cocaine, which due to the potential of addiction he also stays away from. But, I digress. I will always support maximum individual liberties, and the ONLY time that I will compromise is when someone exercising their individual liberties does so in an irresponsible manner in which it causes harm to others.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:
Just look at the poll numbers on this thread. If that's not fuel for anti-pot folks, then I don't know what is. That was the entire point of this thread. A large portion of people that use marijuana actually believe that it's harmless. You sound like a responsible individual, and I'm sure there are probably lots of people just like yourself out there; however, I have to say that pretty much every person I know that still smokes weed is completely irresponsible with it because they believe that it's harmless. That needs to stop for universal legalization to actually happen in this country. I think all the nonsense pro-pot propaganda needs to stop just like the anti-pot propaganda, and we need to acknowledge the drug for what it is. When this happens, a lot of doors will open IMO.
you cant take that poll seriously a lot of people will say that its not harmless just because they can.. some of the votes could be from the anti pot crew just to get that kind of reaction of what you speak of.. true prohibitionist will say anything to further their cause... personally I've posted on well over a hundred pot threads and not once have i said pot is harmless, sure pot is not harmless but it's definitely the safest drug to get a buzz on...

Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Do you believe marijuana is harmless or hear people claim that it is?

I hear this over and over from people. Obviously marijuana can have have negative effects on the body and impair judgement, but I seriously hear people parrot this nonsense that it's "harmless" constantly. I even see stupid pro-pot propaganda on FB claiming weed is harmless, not addictive, and causes 0 deaths. How can people actually be this stupid? I guess the kid I went to HS with that drowned after getting high and thinking he could swim across the Willamette River didn't get added into that statistic. I've smoked a ton of weed in my life, and I'm 100% in favor of legalization, but people like this blow my mind.

Can't we just legalize it on the basis that there is nothing wrong with adults responsibly using marijuana in moderation to get stoned. I seriously think it would get legalized a lot quicker if pro-pot folks took that approach. I think that by trying to convince people that weed is harmless or some wonder medication just puts a lot of people's BS meters on high. It just sounds like a bunch of hippy counter-culture nonsense.
Pot is like anything else, done in moderation, I think it's ok, as long as you don't drive.....or are sick with cancer, MS, Etc....it's ok, but not to drive.

Weed is not harmless, b/c if you are doped up and drive, it can be as devesating as driving while intoxicated.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But both are high no matter their reaction. We know full well the effects of drinking ;not marijuana other than what those addicted to it use want to believe. Its like LSD was really good for your enlightenment or so said by many in the 60's.
LSD was certainly good for watching glowing things flying through the air

Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Was just reading about this claim on a medical blog I follow. There's been a study on it. It found that teens who use majihuana were 63% less likely to complete high school, 62% less likely to earn a college degree, eighteen times more likely to develop marijuana dependence, eight times more likely to use other illicit drugs, and seven times more likely to attempt suicide. Now yes, this is teens but to claim that marijuana has no harmful effects upon a person seems to be an overreach.

Young adult sequelae of adolescent cannabis use: an integrative analysis : The Lancet Psychiatry
No proof, but I think doctors and pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots. I had a doctor trying to push a specific drug on me which I didn't want because of certain side effects. He got really mad when I asked for another drug with less side effects. Why is that? Does his practice get bonuses for pushing certain drugs. Pharmaceutical companies don't want pot legal because many wouldn't need their drugs. Many teens are addicted to pharmaceutical drugs. Where is the study on this.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:51 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No proof, but I think doctors and pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots. I had a doctor trying to push a specific drug on me which I didn't want because of certain side effects. He got really mad when I asked for another drug with less side effects. Why is that? Does his practice get bonuses for pushing certain drugs. Pharmaceutical companies don't want pot legal because many wouldn't need their drugs. Many teens are addicted to pharmaceutical drugs. Where is the study on this.
I can't remember if they've outlawed it or not but yes, at least at one point, a doctor could get what amounted to kickbacks for prescribing specific drugs. I want to say it's since been outlawed but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies