Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's exactly how European countries fund their social programs like NHC, etc...
That is one of the sources. People here seem to argue it is pulled from corporate taxes alone.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Forgot the link. It was GM. The Auto Makers And The Health Care Crisis | ThinkProgress And I've heard this before, in many different ways. As I said above, there's a lot of health care in a ton of steel, too, so the cost is more than what GM says.

I seriously doubt that "most of the cost would be spread among the rest of the society.". I would like to see some documentation for that.

This is actually a very good link for understanding the Canadian health care system. Mind you, every country's system is a bit different. This nonsense (I don't believe brought up by you) that "everything" is covered in a UHC is just that, nonsense. There are plenty of exclusions. See Canada's: "Private Health Insurance

While the health care system in Canada covers basic services, including primary care physicians and hospitals, there are many services that are not covered. These include things like dental services, optometrists, and prescription medications.

Private health insurance plans are usually offered as part of employee benefit packages in many companies. Incentives usually include vision and dental care. Alternatively, Canadians can purchase insurance packages from private insurance providers.

The main reason many choose to purchase private insurance is to supplement primary health coverage. For those requiring services that may not be covered under provincial health insurance such as corrective lenses, medications, or home care, a private insurance plan offsets such medical expenses." Either the company, or the consumer pays for these services, either through a different insurance policy, or out of pocket.

From the link: "Health care in Canada is funded at both the provincial and federal levels. The financing of health care is provided via taxation both from personal and corporate income taxes. Additional funds from other financial sources like sales tax and lottery proceeds are also used by some provinces."

And that's just one country! There are several basic models, but they all do it a little differently, have different exclusions, get the money from different places.
Canadian Health Care
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...79189006,d.aWw
My parents live in north Europe, and they have private plans too. They don't have to have them, but since both are fairly well off, they prefer to have them and go to see their private doctor. Most people under 65 do not have them, but around that age they become more convenient. Like "informermed consent" said, much of it is funded through consumption tax. Do you know how much the Swedes pay for a Honda Accord, which costs about $25K in US?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My parents live in north Europe, and they have private plans too. They don't have to have them, but since both are fairly well off, they prefer to have them and go to see their private doctor. Most people under 65 do not have them, but around that age they become more convenient. Like "informermed consent" said, much of it is funded through consumption tax. Do you know how much the Swedes pay for a Honda Accord, which costs about $25K in US?
No, all I could find on Google was the price in New Sweden, ME and Sweden Valley, PA. Why don't you tell me, then tell me what the taxes and registration are in Sweden as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, all I could find on Google was the price in New Sweden, ME and Sweden Valley, PA. Why don't you tell me, then tell me what the taxes and registration are in Sweden as well.
Type-S Honda Accord = $52 000

Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
That is one of the sources.
That's the main source. In OECD countries, on average, only 1/3 of tax revenue results from income taxes and taxes on profits:

Tax policy analysis - OECD

In comparison, 59% (nearly TWICE the percentage) of U.S. tax revenue is generated via income and corporate taxes.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/m.../Figure8.5.png

Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Mike Huckabee wanted to go 100% consumption based taxation. No income tax at all. It was called the "fair tax proposal".

Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Mike Huckabee wanted to go 100% consumption based taxation. No income tax at all. It was called the "fair tax proposal".
Because it is the fairest possible tax, no question about it. All new goods and services taxed at one equal rate. Your total tax is then based on your own individual behavior, but all taxation occurs at one equal rate.

It doesn't get more fair than that.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Because it is the fairest possible tax, no question about it. All new goods and services taxed at one equal rate. Your total tax is then based on your own individual behavior, but all taxation occurs at one equal rate.

It doesn't get more fair than that.
Fair enough. I actually supported Huckabee, and hope he'll run again. He is also one of the few who still have back-bone when it comes to social issues.

Here is Huckabee pointing out another glaring problem with our approach to health care: "A health care system based on treating disease after it's out of control--that is, our current system--is actually a disease care system. As the late Dr. Fay Boozman, my appointee to head the Arkansas State Health Department, often said, "We need to quit treating snakebites and start killing some snakes."

Old 11-10-2014, 05:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I did not read the entire thread so forgive me if I am repeating something already said. The ONLY way I would support any kind of single-payer health care system would be if we employed regressive tax policy like they have done in Europe. It is a non-starter fiscally if we try to do this on the backs of the rich. Since the left has pushed and pushed our uber progressive tax policy, I doubt Americans who benefit from that progressive tax policy would be in favor of such a system. Basically, I say if you want it, then you have to be willing to pay for it, even if you're in the "47%".

Here's an article that shows the regressive tax policy of Europe and also shows that our progressive tax policy embraced by the left is the most progressive in the world.

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I did not read the entire thread so forgive me if I am repeating something already said. The ONLY way I would support any kind of single-payer health care system would be if we employed regressive tax policy like they have done in Europe. It is a non-starter fiscally if we try to do this on the backs of the rich. Since the left has pushed and pushed our uber progressive tax policy, I doubt Americans who benefit from that progressive tax policy would be in favor of such a system. Basically, I say if you want it, then you have to be willing to pay for it, even if you're in the "47%".

Here's an article that shows the regressive tax policy of Europe and also shows that our progressive tax policy embraced by the left is the most progressive in the world.

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post
Yes, it was brought up before. You can claim the left loves our current tax system, but it was given to us by the GOP. I find it curious that the GOP would cut taxes and then rip people for not paying enoug. Anyway, like I said the consumption tax was already brought up by someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies