Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 11:47 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,950,451 times

Advertisements

The more I've read about it and talked to people in other countries, the less in favor I am of a single payer system. Mandated insurance with a healthy public/not-for-profit option means that people have some skin in the game and some responsability to contain costs. The Dutch and Swiss models are along those lines and seem to be completely compatible with conservative goals of containing costs while allowing private players into the market.

That said, I'd bet on Republicans eventually adopting a Medicare for all stance as their voting base would never allow Medicare to go away in favor of a healthy public option. That, and expanded Medicare would the easiest way to funnel tax dollars money to health insurance companies.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM

6,105 posts, read 5,977,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why don't you define what INSURANCE is...

because insurance is not CARE

insurance is RISK MANAGEMENT....its paying someone a fee so that IF you get sick/injured they can pay the bill for you

why not answer this question....for a healthy 20 something...why should they pay 300 or more MONTHLY for insurance when they only go to the DR for an annual check up that costs less than 200......it defies logic
You seem to forget the healthy 20 something of today will be tomorrows chronically ill 40 or 50 something who will be facing death if he doesn't use that oh so expensive modern medical practice, medicines and technology. You will also be amazed how fast 10,15 or 20 years flies by!

Mt definition of Jean Paul Sartre's Hell is knowing something exists to keep me alive and not being able to pay for it.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In 1930 the average hospital receipt was $59.26.

Historical Background
Average weekly salary was about $25.00

Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 AM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In a nutshell they argue that single payer would reduce the burden on American corporations and it would encourage entrepreneurship
Every major trading partner of the United States has some form of government-organized health care, so why do we continue to saddle American corporations like working donkeys with such expensive costs?
Let's not get locked down in single-payer, there are other ways to decouple employment and health insurance.

The German model - mandatory health insurance, but if you can't pay for the base level, the Gvt. enrolls you and pays from tax revenue. The insurers are non-profit and regulated, but there is certainly competition. (I believe the Swiss has something akin to this, but never lived there.)

Speaking of entrepreneurship, the US model gets you coming and going. Not only is it hard for smaller businesses to expand, it's hard for people to quit their job and start on their own, if their family is dependent on their job's healthcare. (Bad for mobility, too.)

Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Average weekly salary was about $25.00
Sure......a little over two weeks pay for the average hospital bill. Today it's what? (I looked for it a few minutes but couldn't find it).

Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The more I've read about it and talked to people in other countries, the less in favor I am of a single payer system. Mandated insurance with a healthy public/not-for-profit option means that people have some skin in the game and some responsability to contain costs. The Dutch and Swiss models are along those lines and seem to be completely compatible with conservative goals of containing costs while allowing private players into the market.

That said, I'd bet on Republicans eventually adopting a Medicare for all stance as their voting base would never allow Medicare to go away in favor of a healthy public option. That, and expanded Medicare would the easiest way to funnel tax dollars money to health insurance companies.
The Dutch have a new system which mandates everyone have private insurance, and employers are burdened by carrying about 50% of the cost. The system has been in effect about7 years, and prices are rising fast, and insurance companies complain about making losses, which will guarantee premiums rise in the future. I am curious to see the long term effect on the competitiveness of Dutch employers now that the employers has this new expense.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,977,277 times
Quote:
In 1930 the average hospital receipt was $59.26.

Historical Background
Back in 1930 the best most hospitals could do was give you an asperin stich up a wound with cat gut filaments, and use alcohol or carbonic acid a simple anti-infection agent . Things like blood transfusion and the idea of blood banks lay in the future as did most surgeries for things like ventilators and heart-lung machines lay in the future. Cancer treatment consisted of sympathetic advice to get your affairs in order and to enjoy the last few days of your life while you could. Penicillin was still in Alexander Fleming's laboratory in Britain.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Sure......a little over two weeks pay for the average hospital bill. Today it's what? (I looked for it a few minutes but couldn't find it).
Not sure, but one stitch costs $500.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/he...anted=all&_r=0

The wounds were cleaned, numbed and mended in under an hour. “It was great — they had good DVDs, the staff couldn’t have been nicer,” said Emer Duffy, Orla’s mother.

Then the bills arrived. Ms. Singh’s three stitches cost $2,229.11. Orla’s forehead was sealed with a dab of skin glue for $1,696. “When I first saw the charge, I said, ‘What could possibly have cost that much?’ ” recalled Ms. Singh. “They billed for everything, every pill.”

Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Back in 1930 the best most hospitals could do was give you an asperin stich up a wound with cat gut filaments, and use alcohol or carbonic acid a simple anti-infection agent . Things like blood transfusion and the idea of blood banks lay in the future as did most surgeries for things like ventilators and heart-lung machines lay in the future. Cancer treatment consisted of sympathetic advice to get your affairs in order and to enjoy the last few days of your life while you could. Penicillin was still in Alexander Fleming's laboratory in Britain.
The comparisons can be made with many aspects of hospital care. The average bed cost was $5.50 for a two bed room in 1930. A days pay. To fix a broken arm $18. Childbirth, less than $100. (and it meant many more days in the hospital then)

Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure, but one stitch costs $500.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/he...anted=all&_r=0

The wounds were cleaned, numbed and mended in under an hour. “It was great — they had good DVDs, the staff couldn’t have been nicer,” said Emer Duffy, Orla’s mother.

Then the bills arrived. Ms. Singh’s three stitches cost $2,229.11. Orla’s forehead was sealed with a dab of skin glue for $1,696. “When I first saw the charge, I said, ‘What could possibly have cost that much?’ ” recalled Ms. Singh. “They billed for everything, every pill.”
Thanks.....A few years ago one of the local hospitals was remodeled. A grand main waiting area with marble floors and a player piano. They are now in the process of closing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.