Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not about abortion. It's about your hypocrisy.
How exactly am I being a hypocrite? I stated that my states GOP followers outlawed abortion, so that they aren't for small government.

I have stated, many times, that I am a small government person, but I have no issue with making 18 year olds work. I see a difference in the argument. One is for personal liberty, the other is for putting people to work who would otherwise be a drag on society. Both are equal in my opinion. If a mother aborts a fetus for a child who would be a drag on society, its as equal as putting that child to work at 18 if they didn't do anything on their own. Both benefit our society and country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Believe it or not, the U.S. did have a manditory draft....called the peacetime draft....and it worked fine....only thing was, it entailed only men at that time.

Conscription in the United States, commonly known as the draft, has been employed by the federal government on three occasions. The third incarnation of the draft came into being in 1940 through the Selective Training and Service Act. It was the country's first peacetime draft. From 1940 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means. The draft was ended when the United States military moved to an all-volunteer military force. However, the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency plan; men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Believe it or not, the U.S. did have a manditory draft....called the peacetime draft....and it worked fine....only thing was, it entailed only men at that time.

Conscription in the United States, commonly known as the draft, has been employed by the federal government on three occasions. The third incarnation of the draft came into being in 1940 through the Selective Training and Service Act. It was the country's first peacetime draft. From 1940 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means. The draft was ended when the United States military moved to an all-volunteer military force. However, the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency plan; men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed.
Lets face the reality that the military is, for some, a massive jobs program on the federal level already. We have a military that is to large for our needs to protect our borders, and even our allies. This feeds into the military industrial complex.

There are many young men and women that join for the reason of, college, patriotism, and getting themselves ahead. Those are all good and viable reasons, I hope they all serve with honor and distinction. Good for them to do something with their life, instead of sitting and doing nothing.

My sister stayed with my mother from 18 until she was 24. It drove me bonkers. Both me and my other sister tried to encourage her to get out and do something with her life. She wouldn't. There are many 18 and 19 year olds who do the exact same thing, and they are really a burden on society. Pushing them to work, go to college, or join the military to at least benefit society is not a terrible idea, in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How exactly am I being a hypocrite? I stated that my states GOP followers outlawed abortion, so that they aren't for small government.

I have stated, many times, that I am a small government person, but I have no issue with making 18 year olds work. I see a difference in the argument. One is for personal liberty, the other is for putting people to work who would otherwise be a drag on society. Both are equal in my opinion. If a mother aborts a fetus for a child who would be a drag on society, its as equal as putting that child to work at 18 if they didn't do anything on their own. Both benefit our society and country.
You need some new glasses.
You are all for small government aside from wanting to make every 18 year old an indentured servant to the fed guv.
How is every 18 year old a drag on society?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Conscription means vaccination.

Vaccination means social skill failure. (See the 100 different levels of autism)

Old 11-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You need some new glasses.
You are all for small government aside from wanting to make every 18 year old an indentured servant to the fed guv.
How is every 18 year old a drag on society?
When did I say I want to make EVERY 18 year old indentured servants? For one, I think if someone is conscripted, they should be paid for their work. For another, I highly doubt most Americans would take the military choice, and many would find jobs, or go to college.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Conscription means vaccination.

Vaccination means social skill failure. (See the 100 different levels of autism)
I am not autistic, neither of my children are, and I got all of the military vaccinations. So did my ex, because she was a brat and was overseas.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
might and might not...and it isn't dangerous thought process, it is the truth....Americans have become very soft....they have walked into their own worlds, and no longer know how team work is a blessing, due to parenting and technology....and not all parents are bad parents....however, kids today, don't follow rules and regulations, b/c their parents do not set forth good examples of what not to do.
I think it would straighten out more then not....b/c kids want to belong to something....they want and thrive for rules and regulations....which they are not getting at home.

Here is the problem. Mandating military service for all American citizens is going to cause a lot of folks to do just enough so they don't get into trouble. What happens when they don't meet expectations? Throw them in the gulags? I don't want that in our military. Some people simply weren't cut out for it. Secondly, I don't know about you, but I don't want the government forcing my kid to do anything. If he wants to join when he is 18, then that is his choice. I would hope that unless there is an immediate threat to our shores that he chooses another path, because quite frankly we have no business risking the lives of our fellow Americans fighting other peoples battles for them, or using our military for profit, and nation building! And no this isn't me hating the military, or those who serve or have served, because I don't. What I do hate is how our leaders misuse it!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think high school graduates should be given three options.

A) Find a full time job that is verified

B) Go to college/university for a degree

C) Join the military

Freedom & Liberty, has a new definition.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Freedom & Liberty, has a new definition.
A reductive member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies