Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 10:21 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Hitler was a mental patient.
Because he knew what "is" was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm using a bit of what is becoming an outdated stereotype but it most certainly does happen still. There are thousands of young women who leave their parents house and move into the house of a husband or boyfriend. They don't collect welfare as their is an income.

So a man (could be the opposite but I'm trying to keep it simple) joins the military and his spouse stays home to keep up the house for him. You are going to force her out to get a job or go to college? I might agree it's a good idea but you are going to force it?
If they are collecting government assistance, food stamps, wic, or something like that, yes, both parties should be working.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I was for UMT (Universal Military Training) in 1960, and I still am today.
The "Government Service" would not have to be in the military. It could be in VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America), or the Peace Corps, or the government could reactivate the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) to perform work on National Forests and Parks.
The main purpose of UMT was to develop a good work ethic, give training, and SERVE THE COUNTRY!
And grow up. I am old enough to remember how it worked, families used to send their child to the military and a man came home.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
And grow up. I am old enough to remember how it worked, families used to send their child to the military and a man came home.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If they are collecting government assistance, food stamps, wic, or something like that, yes, both parties should be working.
The initial question nor you made any such qualifications.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Or a body bag.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 PM

45,211 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
When did I say I want to make EVERY 18 year old indentured servants?
You would be forcing 18 year olds to pick one of three paths. How would that not be servitude? Do you understand the difference between a choice made of free will vs. one made under threat of violence?
Quote:
For one, I think if someone is conscripted, they should be paid for their work.
Where will the money come from Mr. small Government? Moral hazard of mandatory guv service aside,America is broke and can ill afford more money taken out the private economy to support the public one.
You are basically suggesting a work force that digs holes and fills them back up.
Quote:
For another, I highly doubt most Americans would take the military choice, and many would find jobs...
What jobs? The ones being eliminated or never created because of minimum wage hikes, onerous government regs and bloated fed spending (hole digging details)
Quote:
or go to college
College tuition should be paid for by the individual with no government assistance. This would help ensure they enter a field of study to support the level of debt they are assuming.
I should not be on the hook for my neighbors 18 year old to learn how to party for four, five ...years.

Seems as though you are small government only when it fits with your beliefs, otherwise not so much.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:31 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You would be forcing 18 year olds to pick one of three paths. How would that not be servitude? Do you understand the difference between a choice made of free will vs. one made under threat of violence?
Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of "option"?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Where will the money come from Mr. small Government? Moral hazard of mandatory guv service aside,America is broke and can ill afford more money taken out the private economy to support the public one.
You are basically suggesting a work force that digs holes and fills them back up.

What jobs? The ones being eliminated or never created because of minimum wage hikes, onerous government regs and bloated fed spending (hole digging details)

College tuition should be paid for by individuals with no government assistance in order ensure they enter a field of study to support the level of debt they are assuming.
I should not be on the hook for my neighbors 18 year old to learn how to party for four, five ...years.

Seems as though you are small government only when it fits with your beliefs, otherwise not so much.
No, indentured servitude would be work with no pay, essential slavery for a extended period of time in exchange for food. I think they should be paid for any work they do.

Money for people working on infrastructure? We can do that with cuts in other programs that are bloated, mainly the food stamp and welfare programs that these people would no longer be on, if they are working.

I didn't say that we should pay for their college, they can go into debt, or work to pay their tuition like most people do.

Do you understand the word, Option?

If someone is independently wealthy and doesn't need to work, but doesn't need government assistance, then I have no issue with them doing whatever they want. If they are 18, living at home, and their parents are drawing government assistance, I'd much rather put that 18 yr old to work building something worthwhile for the nation, then to play Xbox all day.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:35 PM

45,211 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of "option"?
One of three options. What about 4 or 5 or none of the above?
Perhaps you don't understand what free will is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies