Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Nope. I said nothing about it being good politics. I'm a moderate-- Not a liberal.

Obviously the Dems couldn't get their message across and govern effectively. They deserve to lose the senate.

So now the Republicans will take a turn-- And they are within their rights to keep the rule. However, the last few times they controlled both houses the overreach was palpable... They don't need the nuclear option to overreach. Historically they'll do it anyway.

I hope they govern well and move the nation forward. However, the talk in here is about retribution-- which is never good politics.

Have a nice day.
I was one of the people who spoke up back when the Dems first floated the idea of changing the rules, and my comment was one of "are you sure you want to do that, you may not always control the Senate" So I'm with you, the Dems deserve to lose control of Congress, and if they aren't careful, they'll be at risk of losing the WH in 2016.

I used to be moderate before the Dems went off the deep end, then the repubs dove off the other end. The middle is quite broad these days, and there really isn't a viable party to support Fiscally conservative, Socially liberal voters. Quite a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Another constitutional scholar
Actually I am. The filibuster is just a tradition. It's not in the Constitution.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:05 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"A group of 26 conservative academics, advocates and leaders wrote in a letter that they see “very little upside” to restoring the old rules, which had allowed the minority party to require 60 votes to confirm nominees. They say the rules would help Republicans put “committed constitutionalists” on the bench if the White House changes hands in 2016. “The decision by Senator [Harry] Reid and his Democratic colleagues to deploy the so-called ‘nuclear option’ was transparently designed to facilitate the confirmation of judicial nominees who would insulate ObamaCare and other aspects of President Obama’s agenda from meaningful judicial review,” the letter says."

Right pushes McConnell to keep 'nuclear option' | TheHill

What do you say Republicans? Should McConnell keep the nuclear option and send Harry Reid a Thank You card? I say YES!

I say yes too, the dems let the cat out of the bag, now keep it out so they can wallow in it too.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Absolutely. Keep it.

I can only enhance the overreach that will seal the GOP's fate in 2016.

lol, the repubs just have to tell the people that they are following the rules laid down by the dems when they were in power. people will believe it too.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 AM

13,952 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Actually I am. The filibuster is just a tradition. It's not in the Constitution.
This.

And it's not even that old of a tradition. Rule 22 was first adopted in 1917 and set at 2/3, and in 1975 (not exactly ancient history) it got lowered to 3/5. And Rule 22 establishes rules for cloture, not filibuster.

It appears nowhere in the US Constitution other than the article that says the Senate will establish its own rules and procedures.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:26 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I say yes too, the dems let the cat out of the bag, now keep it out so they can wallow in it too.

Wallow in what?? The Democrats aren't going to fillibuster Obama's nominees or appointments so what exactly would they be wallowing in?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Reid is planning to fast track 50 Obama appointees before January... Go for it Harry!
That means that he'll work harder this next 30 days than he has in 30 years!

He's a stone scumbag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies