Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
No not a surprise, something we have known for several years. Maybe a surprise for the reporters on a recent TV segment on it, but nothing new.
In fact, many of us have been noticing it for years.

SO much for the separation of church and state, eh ?

Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Party

I know it has been going on. I hear all kinds of things from right wing Christians. Problem is, very little of it is factual. First it was that Obama is a Muslim who hates America, not it is that Obama is trying to make Islam the official religion of America.
Seriously?

Why not teach people to work together, instead of fostering hatred? Churches have long fostered racism, hatred, homophobia and elitism for centuries. If the GOP truly wants to do something good for society, they can start by not encouraging this kind of behavior with those in the religious sector who are not able to discern their fallacies and propaganda!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
He isn't arguing about the first amendment, he is stating that churches should lose their non-profit status if they are going to get involved with politics, and I agree.

Others have criticized non-profits doing the same. I also agree. We need to get serious about this, but everyone is afraid that it will be seen as a partisan attack.
There is nothing in the First Amendment (which he mentioned, by way of reference to "separation of church and state, which is a myth) that prohibits churches from participation in politics by discussing issues or even endorsing candidates. Show me.

Secondly, it isn't for that reason that they are tax exempt, either.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you want to deny non profits status because people who belong to them, want to exercise their first amendment right. You are contradicting yourself.

Tell me, do you feel the same way about Planned Parenthood non profit status?
Now that is an excellent point!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
No not a surprise, something we have known for several years. Maybe a surprise for the reporters on a recent TV segment on it, but nothing new.
In fact, many of us have been noticing it for years.

SO much for the separation of church and state, eh ?

Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Party

I know it has been going on. I hear all kinds of things from right wing Christians. Problem is, very little of it is factual. First it was that Obama is a Muslim who hates America, not it is that Obama is trying to make Islam the official religion of America.
Seriously?

Why not teach people to work together, instead of fostering hatred? Churches have long fostered racism, hatred, homophobia and elitism for centuries. If the GOP truly wants to do something good for society, they can start by not encouraging this kind of behavior with those in the religious sector who are not able to discern their fallacies and propaganda!

Democrats recruit in black churches, which have a higher weekly following then most white churches.

Whats the problem? People have always linked religion and politics. On a personal level I find it kind of silly, but they have a right to have their voices heard as much as anyone else.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Any non profit that is picking a side in political conflicts should pay taxes, if planned parenthood does so then certainly. Why should you be free from taxes?
Why? Cite the laws for us. Where is it written?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why? Cite the laws for us. Where is it written?
Im not your freaking google monkey.

Google it, its not freaking hard. look up the non profit tax exemption rules regarding politicol activity, and read about what laws are being broken, and why.

This isn't horribly hard research, and im not feeling like doing it for ignorant people today.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:33 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Here we are with another anti-Christian (can we call it Christainphobia?) anti-GOP thread.

You have no clue what the First Amendment means.
The philosophies of Jesus say to help the poor, heal the sick, love everyone, and avoid war.

Republicans oppose welfare and high min wages to help the poor.
Republicans oppose healthcare for all to heal the sick.
Republicans hate black people on welfare, black presidents, South American immigrants, and homosexuals.
And republicans want a powerful and aggressive military.

And Jesus gave us the camel parable, that told how hard it is for a rich man to get into Heaven. And republicans give the rich huge tax cuts.

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
Rand Paul's fix for Detroit: lower taxes for the rich, more pollution & lower wages for the poor

Is all the above republican behavior inspired by the word of God, or inspired by the word of Fox news and Rush radio?

We need "separation of Church and Fox news." If Fox news philosophies keep getting deeper into the Christian's minds, one day priests may be giving sermons during mass saying, "We need to eliminate welfare and food stamps, round up the illegals and send them back, stop healthcare for all, get rid of the pathetic disgrace that is Obama, use our military, and give the rich tax cuts."

Last edited by chad3; 11-06-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 01:35 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Seriously?
Quote:
At least I know the proper use of dam vs damn.
" not it is that Obama is trying to make Islam the official religion of America. "

People who live in glass house houses should not throw stones. Do you know the difference between not and now. I suspect you do but you were so quick to point out the other posters mistake I would have thought you were perfect.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:39 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
I've been attending at least one Mass per week for the last decade, and in all that time, the only time politics was even mentioned was a letter from our Bishop on why the diocese would not comply with the abortifacient mandate in the ACA. It never mentioned what any of us should do, how we should vote, go do anything political, etc...just an open FYI letter to the diocese.

That's it. Ever. Even when we get visiting priests from Western Africa, the Middle East, Asia, South America, etc. They ask for charitable donations to their missions maybe, give info on volunteering and all that, but never mention politics.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because the money they raise for non profit purposes doesnt limit their right to exercise free speech...

Why would non profits, who has to deal with legislation passed by Congress, not be allowed to voice their objection to Congressional bills?

So your argument is, if Congress passed legislation outlawing abortion, then non profits which deal with abortion, shouldnt be allowed to voice their objection to the law outlawing abortion..

Thats beyond dumb
Excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies