Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I was addressing that particular post and not the link (hence my quoting that person). What were you saying about not reading something again?
That particular post was mine. You quoted my statement that the takeaway was that the "rightist" in the studies lacked empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:18 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Study: Liberals Make Emotional Decisions, Conservatives Make Reasoned Ones .

The truth if I ever read it!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sheesh.... "Them" includes well over a hundred billion people. I have a hard time seeing this sort of dichotomy along political lines.

Besides, most scientists and stone-hearted atheists are, guess what, liberals. Liberals don't tend to listen to talk radio as much as conservatives, which could only be stomached by people who need their egos stroked with constant propaganda.

That said, I would guess that heavy partisans in both parties are more emotional than rational. The need to "feel" right, so they choose their facts accordingly. I read posts like that every day here.

I'd add that the notion that one group is more emotional than another is less interesting than what the emotions are. Kindness? Empathy? Anger? Contempt? Humor? Joy? Conviction?

No war would be won without emotion, no marathon won, no fight finished, no mountain climbed., And no society would be worth living in without it.
I'm conservative and I would be the first to admit that empathy is simply not something I have. I have always been logical to the point of being a bit cold at times. It's simply how I am made and I'm okay with that because there's always a foil out there on the left for people like me. I am not without emotion or sympathy but empathy, that ability to actually feel what another is feeling? Nope. Not all me.

In deciding where I am politically, I know that the right side of the spectrum is where I belong. However, I think when you get to the far right, you do start to see emotion overruling logic. So, I'm firmly right of center but not to an extreme as the very far right annoys me with about the same intensity as the far left because both are ruled by emotion versus logic. I do see more of the left spectrum ruled by emotion though versus the right even when not talking about extremes on the left.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You quoted my statement that the takeaway was that the "rightist" in the studies lacked empathy.
And I expounded on that idea. Yes? And?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:26 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
But yet Data Driven Government, making policy decisions based upon numbers and data analysis, is largley utilized by Democrates. It was heavily utilized by Clinton, tossed aside by W Bush, and is HUGE in progressive city governments these days.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I can have "empathy" for Charles Manson being an abused child. It does not however cloud my judgement in regard to his crimes. See the difference?
He should have been gassed a long time ago.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Preach it brother!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
A reasoned and measured conservative response.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
But yet Data Driven Government, making policy decisions based upon numbers and data analysis, is largley utilized by Democrates. It was heavily utilized by Clinton, tossed aside by W Bush, and is HUGE in progressive city governments these days.
Ah yes, Data Driven Government also known as the famous red tape. Effectively utilized in business and absolutely screwed up when done by the government. By the way, the government has never actually implemented the processes properly and you think that's something to brag about?

An example. Decide you're going to build a ship for the Navy. Due to the onerous and overly complicated red tape (thanks to 'data driven government'), that takes five years to even plan and because of that same data driven government, everything right down to the circuits cards are planned out. People say 'yay, we're doing great planning - see all of my paperwork to prove it?' Then they build the ship - to that five year old plan. Cost oodles and oodles of taxpayer dollars but that's okay because they're building it to that paperwork from data driven government. You know the very first thing a ship does after it's built? Have every system removed and replaced because it has to be modernized because by the time the Navy actually gets it, it's woefully out of date. That's what data driven government gets you. Like I said, an idea utilized in business and screwed up when done by government. But hey, it's a catchy name.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:41 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
A reasoned and measured conservative response.
Have you ever read the transcripts from the trial? It is long past time that man needed to be put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies