Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 AM

446 posts, read 649,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It is hypocrisy.

I am black and as left-wing as Bill Maher.

The truth is, most blacks are conservative. I have no issue with blacks voting Republican. They share conservative views of anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, and successful blacks usually advocate neoliberal economics. I have my reservations about the black church.. which is littered with the same hypocrisy.

Rather than spend time fixating on "sell-outs" like Tim Scott and Mia Love, we should get back to focusing on our own brand. There is no difference between a black conservative and a white conservative. Both sell out poor people (of all races) to the GOP hate machine for personal gain. Hermain Cain is no different than Donald Trump, in this regard. Color has little, if anything, to do with this.
Black Republicans are (a) willing to throw their own people under the bus in the names of fetuses, (b) willing to throw their own people under the bus because "eww! men boinking each other!", and/or (c) willing to throw their own people under the bus in the name of "I got mine, screw y'all poors!".

They have no respect for people like me, so I sure as God made little green apples won't respect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 02:16 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I grew up in New Orleans and went to a majority black school. One thing that amazed me was that the few intellectual blacks where I grew up were despised and impugned regularly by most of the other blacks. Yeah, I guess nerds are made fun of a bit in white culture too but the black nerds are really hated by the average black in my experience.

I guess the Tim Scott's and Mia Love are viewed similarly because they don't meet the blacks image of themselves. One thing I've noticed, the few blacks that are Conservative Republicans tend to be very successful in their careers as opposed to the welfare alternative offered by Democrats.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:25 AM

446 posts, read 649,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I grew up in New Orleans and went to a majority black school. One thing that amazed me was that the few intellectual blacks where I grew up were despised and impugned regularly by most of the other blacks. Yeah, I guess nerds are made fun of a bit in white culture too but the black nerds are really hated by the average black in my experience.

I guess the Tim Scott's and Mia Love are viewed similarly because they don't meet the blacks image of themselves. One thing I've noticed, the few blacks that are Conservative Republicans tend to be very successful in their careers as opposed to the welfare alternative offered by Democrats.
Yeah, the anti-intellectualism in the Black community really disgusts me. I had extreme trouble in school because I was the straight-A kid who read for fun (not just because it was required), and got called an "Oreo" so many times that if I had a 1:1 insult:cookie ratio I'd be able to give the entire state of Alaska diabetes.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

That is an incredibly incorrect statement. Are Barack and Michelle welfare recipients? If most Democratic blacks are failures and most Republican blacks are successes, why are more Democrat blacks elected to representation in Congress? Mia Love and Tim Scott aren't "more successful" than other blacks because they are Republicans. Most educated blacks actually vote Democrat (most educated people vote Democrat)

Typical terrible logic; but I'd expect nothing less. Agreed on your other point about anti-intellectualism though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Yeah, the anti-intellectualism in the Black community really disgusts me. I had extreme trouble in school because I was the straight-A kid who read for fun (not just because it was required), and got called an "Oreo" so many times that if I had a 1:1 insult:cookie ratio I'd be able to give the entire state of Alaska diabetes.
Agreed, I dealt with the same thing.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
No, we attack conservatives because they can never identify Obama's policies to criticize.

The GOP sucks, but that wasn't the point of this thread... and neither was the election on Tuesday.

Anyone who knows a lot of blacks knows that culturally blacks are extremely conservative. I know plenty of blacks with "buyer's remorse" from Obama over social issues such as gay marriage and not "defending" Christianity.
Ok, got ya, but in your original post you implied blacks are simply conservative in general. Personally I hate labels. To me one is either right, left or center.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:30 AM

30 posts, read 18,342 times
Obama is the one selling his own people out, black people style of living have dropped significantly. But this is liberalism at its best, say you want to help everyone but help no one!!! Black people need to wake up and pay attention!!!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
That is an incredibly incorrect statement. Are Barack and Michelle welfare recipients? If most Democratic blacks are failures and most Republican blacks are successes, why are more Democrat blacks elected to representation in Congress? Mia Love and Tim Scott aren't "more successful" than other blacks because they are Republicans. Most educated blacks actually vote Democrat (most educated people vote Democrat)

Typical terrible logic; but I'd expect nothing less. Agreed on your other point about anti-intellectualism though.

Agreed, I dealt with the same thing.
Hate to break it to you but no, most educated people do not vote Democrat. In fact, the only educated group that Democrats win in those with PhDs. College educated folks vote Republican. Those without high school degrees vote Democrat. Here, have a look at the voting demographics of the last Presidential election. The Democrats majority counts on the poor and the uneducated since the PhDs make a very small percentage of the overall vote. The middle class and the college educated vote Republican. Not sure when this myth of educated folks voting Democrat got started but it's just that - a myth.

Demographics of How Groups Voted in the 2012 Presidential Election

Old 11-08-2014, 10:42 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Well as we all know for the last 6 years even if you disagree with someone politically if they're black...you're racist.

So welcome to the club. You think Cain and West are nuts? Nope, you're just racist and covering it up under the guise of political disagreement.

Your White Privilege card just got black racism stamp on it. Welcome.
No you're racist because you're racist. If you tell people that they voted for Obama because he's Black, you're racist. The other day on Instagram...someone accused me of wanting free stuff because I am a Liberal...I assumed she was racist but didn't say it. When I told her my profession (Software Engineer) she told me that I was a typical BLACK baby hatching, single mother, welfare queen with different baby daddies. Racist or nah? I never acknowledged her comment or brought race into the conversation but clearly she proved my thoughts correct. If you can disagree without being racist or hateful, no one will accuse you of being racist...right wingers feel that they can make racist remarks then accuse the left of playing the race card when they get called on it. It really has gotten old and the racism is obvious. If you do nothing to condem it, you condone it. Not a single right winger had an issue with that woman's comment. In fact they were high fiving and patting her on the back. Saying that it is because we disagree is foolish...if you condone racism, you'll get called a racist.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Hate to break it to you but no, most educated people do not vote Democrat. In fact, the only educated group that Democrats win in those with PhDs. College educated folks vote Republican. Those without high school degrees vote Democrat. Here, have a look at the voting demographics of the last Presidential election. The Democrats majority counts on the poor and the uneducated since the PhDs make a very small percentage of the overall vote. The middle class and the college educated vote Republican. Not sure when this myth of educated folks voting Democrat got started but it's just that - a myth.

Demographics of How Groups Voted in the 2012 Presidential Election
What he said was most educated "black" people vote Democrat. I would say since 90 percent of blacks vote Democrat it is pretty safe to assume the majority do in all income, or education categories. Also your link does not specify PhDs only, it is those with any type of post secondary degree, which would include a masters.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
What he said was most educated "black" people vote Democrat. I would say since 90 percent of blacks vote Democrat it is pretty safe to assume the majority do in all income, or education categories. Also your link does not specify PhDs only, it is those with any type of post secondary degree, which would include a masters.
And then he added "most educated people vote Democrat". That's a false claim - basically went too far with the claim.

Yes, you are right, I did not choose a link that specifically called out the type of post secondary degrees but there are several others out there and the masters degrees are just about split but PhDs vote pretty strongly to the left. Again, that's not a big surprise given what we've seen on college campuses from those PhDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies