Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
GDP does NOT = Federal Deficit, it is Federal SPENDING.. They arent the same thing..

You dont know what the hell you are talking about..
Quote:
Exactly, its Opin who said that you require federal deficits in order to grow the GDP, thats ridiculous..

If that held any truth to it, the higher deficit, the higher the GDP..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
One can engage in all sorts of accounting shenanigans to show other purpose, but a surplus at the Federal level in essence simply reduces our National Debt by that amount. i.e as you say, pay off your treasury bills. And that exchange itself is zero sum. Now that exchange may yield more or better future GDP if the money is redirected successfully to a more productive venue.
I never said GDP = Federal deficit, did I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
They are the same thing.

Money creation = deficit spending

GDP = Federal spending / money creation + private sector spending + net exports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
One can engage in all sorts of accounting shenanigans to show other purpose, but a surplus at the Federal level in essence simply reduces our National Debt by that amount. i.e as you say, pay off your treasury bills. And that exchange itself is zero sum. Now that exchange may yield more or better future GDP if the money is redirected successfully to a more productive venue.
Exactly, its Opin who said that you require federal deficits in order to grow the GDP, thats ridiculous..

If that held any truth to it, the higher deficit, the higher the GDP..

Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I never said GDP = Federal deficit, did I?
yes you did..
Quote:
GDP = Federal Deficit + Private Sector Consumption / Investment + Net Exports

Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
yes you did..
So basically, you're incapable of reading a formula?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
No actually strong GDP requires more deficit spending (higher public deficit).

GDP = Federal Spending + Private Sector Spending + Net Exports
Here is where you werent COMPLETELy wrong..

Because Federal spending comes at the expense of the private sector, not in partnership to it..

Federal spending, or deficits as you post, requires the federal government to issue treasury bills which removes money from the private sector, it doesnt just poof out of thin air..

GDP = Federal SPENDING, not deficits.
+ private sector (which is public sector - federal deficits, because public sector cant spend the money they just spent on Tbills into the economy)
+ net exports

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about

Old 11-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So basically, you're incapable of reading a formula?
Oh I read the formula just fine, you're just WRONG.. You said Federal deficits, I even BOLDED it for you.

GDP isnt at all related to federal deficits, because deficits at the federal level come at the expense of spending in the private.. You completely ignore that tbills have to be bought by the private sector and thus no longer spent there.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Here is where you werent COMPLETELy wrong..

Because Federal spending comes at the expense of the private sector, not in partnership to it..

Federal spending, or deficits as you post, requires the federal government to issue treasury bills which removes money from the private sector, it doesnt just poof out of thin air..
Actually, it does. The private sector doesn't issue treasury bills.

Quote:
You have no idea what the hell you are talking about
You have yet to prove any of the formulas wrong.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Oh I read the formula just fine, you're just WRONG.. You said Federal deficits, I even BOLDED it for you.

GDP isnt at all related to federal deficits, because deficits at the federal level come at the expense of spending in the private.. You completely ignore that tbills have to be bought by the private sector and thus no longer spent there.
GDP is absolutely related to federal deficits.

Federal deficits don't come at the expense of anything in the private sector. Federal deficits = federal spending.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I just quickly browsed a couple of pages, expecting to see the same old partisan rhetoric, and I was not surprised.
I also didn't expect to see the obvious, and again I wasn't surprised.
The obvious:
Obama is the LEADER of the nation. EVERYTHING that happens (or does not happen) on HIS WATCH is HIS FAULT. Even if he was "outside the loop" (which he should never be), and he knew nothing about it, it is HIS FAULT!
THAT is one of the penalties for wanting to be THE LEADER!
HE wanted it, HE got it (twice), now he has to man-up and accept the pain and heartache that goes with the job. If he can't take the heat, he can always get out of the kitchen.
But he won't quit (resign). He will stick it out if it kills him. It just might, it is a killer job. I sure would never ask to be put in that position!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Actually, it does. The private sector doesn't issue treasury bills.

You have yet to prove any of the formulas wrong.
of course they dont issue the treasury bill, they have to BUY THEM, which REMOVES THE MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC SECTOR..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies