Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think it goes back to Gingrich and the Clinton witch hunt/impeachment. And then Bush's brother stopping the vote count in Florida while they actually go to the Supreme Court to stop counting votes. Who does that and how was the country to ever believe Bush was legitimate? Then the Iraq war? Then Katrina where Walmart was able to get in and out of New Orleans but somehow Bush couldn't? That was...odd.

Republicans knew when Obama was elected that the Republican brand was *&%#. So they met for dinner that night and decided to oppose everything, even those most minor things to just wear him out. If a Republican were elected president, you don't think Democrats will do the same thing? Make his/her life as ugly and miserable as humanly possible? As both sides have found - revenge is sweet.

As each side partakes in their own schadenfreude from election to election, the unity of the country becomes more unstable.
As someone who clearly is or leans Democrat, I'll take your word that those issues before and in addition to the Iraq war caused the rancor on your side.

As someone who leans Republican and respect for the Presidency be ****ed, let me tell you this: the rage against him, his presidency, and the party that supports him was not there the day he was sworn in. It started building with the stimulus, but almost all of it was triggered by the ACA -- by its contents yes, but also to a large extent by how it was passed and all the lies that were told to help pass it and about what it's effects would be. Joe Wilson spoke for all of us. When you talk about the amount of anger on the right in this country, while there's always some on each side the sheer magnitude is a modern phenomenon, and it traces back to 2010.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: this is inappropriate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 04:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I'd say the biggest kicker has been the lack of ability to compromise between the 2 parties.
This had been exceptionally true with any 1 party holding power and then with Reid stopping Bills the last 4 years.
Maybe now that bills can get to the President their will be compromise on each end and each party can get a little of what they want.

The system has really been broke the last 6 years. Hopefully now it will be a little more balanced.
What may disrupt this is Obama not working with Congress and his insistance to EO.

Will Obama be a wise Politician much like Clinton or continue as a Community Organizer dictating.
Not sure Obama knows how to compromise.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
As someone who clearly is or leans Democrat, I'll take your word that those issues before and in addition to the Iraq war caused the rancor on your side.

As someone who leans Republican and respect for the Presidency be ****ed, let me tell you this: the rage against him, his presidency, and the party that supports him was not there the day he was sworn in. It started building with the stimulus, but almost all of it was triggered by the ACA -- by its contents yes, but also to a large extent by how it was passed and all the lies that were told to help pass it and about what it's effects would be. Joe Wilson spoke for all of us. When you talk about the amount of anger on the right in this country, while there's always some on each side the sheer magnitude is a modern phenomenon, and it traces back to 2010.
And reading that, I don't see how or why I would want to be in the same country with you. And with each election, it only gets worse.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-12-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd say the biggest kicker has been the lack of ability to compromise between the 2 parties.
This had been exceptionally true with any 1 party holding power and then with Reid stopping Bills the last 4 years.
Maybe now that bills can get to the President their will be compromise on each end and each party can get a little of what they want.

The system has really been broke the last 6 years. Hopefully now it will be a little more balanced.
What may disrupt this is Obama not working with Congress and his insistance to EO.

Will Obama be a wise Politician much like Clinton or continue as a Community Organizer dictating.
Not sure Obama knows how to compromise.
Of course, Republicans will look at it from this lens, ignoring the highest number of filibusters in history, the lowest nomination approvals in history, the sheer "in your face" lack of decorum from the Republican side, etc. Because it's no longer about the country. It's about who wins. Are you on the winning team? The losing team? How can we make the other side lose? Let's say he wants the country to die from Ebola!

Do you think Democrats won't remember this? And do likewise to the next Republican? Oh, he/she might call for a new level of civility, etc. And Democrats will laugh and say, not on your life. And with each election, it will only escalate.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
To your point, Rupert Murdoch, CEO of Fox, is Australian. Came to the US and has gotten rich off of incendiary news where they literally went to the Supreme Court fighting for the right to lie in the news. They now refer to blacks as thugs because it stokes their older viewer base. Other countries, seeing what he has done in the US, will not let him get as large of a foothold in their country.

Mounties stop Murdoch's Sun TV News from shining | Media | The Guardian

I don't think this can all be blamed on Murdoch, sleazy as his business model is. He has plenty of company in the propaganda world. I worry more about the mindset that drives an adult person list listen to such garbage day in and day out. They have to know it is cherry-picked and massaged to mislead. We have a huge group of older, white Americans who seem to eat it up. In off year elections, they still loom large. I am glad they vote, I just wish they were equally diligent in studying world events from less biased sources. Critical thinking skills are a big part of what you get with a good college education, and I suspect the core of such audiences are older folks without college. I am guessing as education levels go up, that group is going to shrink. Hopefully, the fairness doctrine in media will also be returned.

Fox News is a crack for the close minded. Glad to hear the Canadians would not go for that.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 11-09-2014 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 04:14 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Wow! Some awesome post all up in heyeah! not much left to say.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
And reading that, I don't see how or why I would want to be in the same country with you. And with each election, it only gets worse.
You are of course welcome to your opinion, but it takes a lot of nerve to screw over the other side as badly as occurred with the ACA and then be upset about how angry they get over it....and it's not just the harm done, it's the trauma of it being passed without a single Republican vote while Democratic politicians and cheerleaders lied again and again and again to the public before, while, and after it was passed. You. Can. Keep. Your. Plan. If. You. Like. It.

There's a very simple way to get myself and other people on the American right to chill out over it. Repeal or substantively change the ACA. Not willing to do that? Then we'll continue to be angry, as I said initially likely until a few years after this thing is fully phased in in '19 and no one on our side is actively experiencing further marginal harm.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The current media model just fuels conflict.
Conflict makes money. Glenn Beck made a fortune by fueling outrageous conflict. Then later said he regrets much of what he did because he didn't realize the effect it would have. That's easy to say, after you've made a ton of money. I don't see tabloid news decreasing at all.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You are of course welcome to your opinion, but it takes a lot of nerve to screw over the other side as badly as occurred with the ACA and then be upset about how angry they get over it.

There's a very simple way to get myself and other people on the American right to chill out over it. Repeal or substantively change the ACA. Not willing to do that? Then we'll continue to be angry, as I said initially likely until a few years after this thing is fully phased in in '19 and no one on our side is actively experiencing further marginal harm.
I know a ton of people who were very much helped by Obamacare. Very much. So you and your side basically holding the country hostage by saying "give us what we want or we'll wreck the country" just doesn't hold much value.

You wishing a president dead because someone received health care coverage is beyond my comprehension. I knew a lot of people that were viciously angry over the number of deaths as a result of the Iraq war. These were young kids dying by the thousands. But health care? When the largest opponents to Obamacare are the elderly who already have Medicare? And politicians who will get government funded healthcare for life?

See, we just don't agree at the most basic levels. Which is why I'm pretty sure this will only get worse. I don't see any other way.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,659 times
Quote:
Did you ever consider that it gets worse because of guys like you, just as much as those guys you hate on the other side?

It takes two to have a fight, and it is clear to me that you have picked your side and are on it to the death. You sir, are part of the problem. If you want to fix this problem the first thing to do is realize that you've helped create it.

For what its worth, I never voted for either W. Bush or Obama, and for the very same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies