Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Republican, Should We End Medicare?
I'm a Republican and I Support Ending Medicare 13 36.11%
I'm a Republican and I Want to Keep Medicare 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If we kill it do I get a refund for the Medicare Taxes I have paid my entire working life? I feel I am entitled to the product I have been forced to pay for. After all those looking to kill medicare have no issue with Unemployment Comp.
My medicare taxes would work out to be about 29 grand give or take. Give me that 29 Grand and Ill be happy to kill it. After all I was charged this tax with the promise of a product when I reach retirement age.
I'm not a Republican, but I do want what I paid for or my money back.

I'm with you. I want my money back too. I've been paying the maximum to Medicare for many years. But now, I agree, government health care is evil. So let's kill this now. There's no reason I should be paying for the health care of some old lady in Kentucky. And I certainly don't want the government getting between that old lady and her doctor, that's terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:31 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm with you. I want my money back too. I've been paying the maximum to Medicare for many years. But now, I agree, government health care is evil. So let's kill this now. There's no reason I should be paying for the health care of some old lady in Kentucky. And I certainly don't want the government getting between that old lady and her doctor, that's terrible.
You know Seacove, I think you're on to something here. Republicans have completely dominated the political power structure.........just ask them.
I think a smart person would jump on the bandwagon of republican ideology and embrace their message.
Medicare is a good place to instill Republican values and personal responsibility.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I would love to end Medicare, it just needs to be phased out so those on the program don't get hosed.

As a somewhat younger guy, it's a shame Romney and Ryan didn't win. They would have passed health savings accounts legislation that would have been sustainable and wonderful for people under 50.
Health Savings Accounts.....yeah.....that'll work.

Let's just ignore the FACT that most Americans are horrible at saving money.

American Savings: Americans Save an Average of $392 Per Year. Total Consumer Debt is over $2.5 Trillion. The Dark Knight of Debt. » Dr. Housing Bubble Blog

28% of Americans have no emergency savings - Jun. 25, 2012

Quote:

Most Americans don't have nearly enough money stashed away for emergencies
and more than one-in-four don't even have a single penny saved.

While the general rule of thumb is to have an emergency fund that will cover
at least six months of expenses, only 25% of Americans have that amount saved,
research released Monday by Bankrate.com finds.

About 49% of Americans don't even have enough money saved to cover three
months of expenses -- slightly worse than the 46% of Americans who reported
having less than three months worth of savings last year.

And 28% don't have any cushion whatsoever -- up from 24% last year, according
to the report, which was based on a survey of 1,000 adults.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I would love to end Medicare, it just needs to be phased out so those on the program don't get hosed.

As a somewhat younger guy, it's a shame Romney and Ryan didn't win. They would have passed health savings accounts legislation that would have been sustainable and wonderful for people under 50.
Wonderful until they got sick or had a serious accident (you know cardiovascular disease, strokes, cancer , auto immune disorders, diabetes, blunt force trauma, gun shot wounds etc. etc.) but then it would be too late! heh heh heh.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
So a program that requires 40+ years of payroll taxes before eligibility is the same as a program that gives refundable tax credits and benefits from day one? Got it.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So a program that requires 40+ years of payroll taxes before eligibility is the same as a program that gives refundable tax credits and benefits from day one? Got it.
Hey, I'm fine with ending it. If we're in the business of killing health care coverage, let's end all of them.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Would Republicans Support Ending Medicare?

I am sure they would support getting rid of the corruption in Medicare.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Would Republicans Support Ending Medicare?

I am sure they would support getting rid of the corruption in Medicare.
Why not end the whole thing since government involvement in health care coverage is bad? No Medicare=no corruption.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Why not end the whole thing since government involvement in health care coverage is bad? No Medicare=no corruption.
Let's hope the Republicans can fix the corruption in Washington. No party can fix it all. If you want to get rid of all corruption you will need to stop all programs, not just Medicare.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:20 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
For the last six years, we have heard Republicans say government should not be involved in health care. Yet those over 65 have been receiving Medicare for decades. When Medicare started, the initial recipients had not paid a penny to receive it. This would be called wealth redistribution. So now, since Republicans are eager to abolish Obamacare, would they support ending Medicare as well?

If not, why? How do you justify one and not the other? Would you also like to end public schools?
Interesting question. I don't really know, so I didn't vote. I know I get much better medical care with my policy than my parents do with Medicare. I'm not looking forward to it, that's for sure. But, how in the world would we get our money back? It's never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies