Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

This Canadian writer's perspective on President Obama and the mid-term elections probably mirrors the feelings of many in this country:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11...it-with-obama/

Yes, I know, "He should mind his own business," yadda yadda. Still, he makes some valid points.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Still, he makes some valid points.
Not really.
Yes, the very wealthy are doing quite well. But they are a small group.

Hardly thought-provoking and mostly a re-hash of talking points with "but, but, BUSH!" tossed in for good measure.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:17 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
The trusty old related set of excuses that all come down to "it could be worse" are always so pleasurable to read and so helpful in solving the country's problems and judging one's government's leaders. We all also know that a society that starts settling for less in every part of their life and starts to scale back their every ambition is sure to be on a new course towards greatness . Sarcasm aside, I wonder if this insanity is what people had to put up with in other declining societies in history, and additionally I wonder if their putting up with it in the first place reinforced or even caused decline.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
The rest of the world reacted the same way when Clinton was impeached. They thought the US had gone nutz.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
I stopped reading about 2/3 of the way through the first paragraph. Nothing that starts off with such a fundamentally flawed position can possibly be worth spending any time reading.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I stopped reading about 2/3 of the way through the first paragraph. Nothing that starts off with such a fundamentally flawed position can possibly be worth spending any time reading.
Since it is fundamentally flawed, explain the flaws in the argument. Be specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The rest of the world reacted the same way when Clinton was impeached. They thought the US had gone nutz.
We are nuts. We just elected the same goons that created the mess this administration has cleaned up.

Insanity is doing the same thing over again expecting different results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The trusty old related set of excuses that all come down to "it could be worse" are always so pleasurable to read and so helpful in solving the country's problems and judging one's government's leaders. We all also know that a society that starts settling for less in every part of their life and starts to scale back their every ambition is sure to be on a new course towards greatness . Sarcasm aside, I wonder if this insanity is what people had to put up with in other declining societies in history, and additionally I wonder if their putting up with it in the first place reinforced or even caused decline.
No, it is putting it in context. The U.S. economy is strongest in the developed world. We have recovered from the Global recession. Our dollar is strong again. Our reputation in the world is recovering. To what "excuses" are you refering to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Not really.
Yes, the very wealthy are doing quite well. But they are a small group.

Hardly thought-provoking and mostly a re-hash of talking points with "but, but, BUSH!" tossed in for good measure.
Since when are facts considered talking points?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I read that piece and threw up in my mouth a little bit. The trouble with Obama is that he is a genius at campaigning and he excited the world in 2008 but what has he really done. He promised so much and we all believed him. Heck he even won the noble peace prize for something he hadn't done yet. The list of his non accomplishments and unbelievable scandals are growing by the day. I think it is sad that he had so much promise to be a great President and the country was behind him but he will leave office being known for causing so much damage to the country and its reputation abroad that it is going to take years to overcome them.
History would remember him better if he had been a one term president.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I read that piece and threw up in my mouth a little bit. The trouble with Obama is that he is a genius at campaigning and he excited the world in 2008 but what has he really done. He promised so much and we all believed him. Heck he even won the noble peace prize for something he hadn't done yet. The list of his non accomplishments and unbelievable scandals are growing by the day. I think it is sad that he had so much promise to be a great President and the country was behind him but he will leave office being known for causing so much damage to the country and its reputation abroad that it is going to take years to overcome them.
History would remember him better if he had been a one term president.
You obviously did not read the article.

This is just more whining about Obama not fixing up Bush's mess fast enough. In the global context, the Obama Administration is looked at as the U.S. being back on top, and major health care reform passed.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What is fundamentally flawed in the first paragraph?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
What is fundamentally flawed in the first paragraph?
It contains facts, that is what is flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies