Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Body Cameras for the Cops?
Yes 147 91.88%
No 13 8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:29 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times

Advertisements

Wondering if you think the police should wear body camera.

It seems like such an easy solution to so many potential problems. It could:
Justify an officers actions,
It could be an deterrent to (or confirm) a abuse of power.
It could deter either party from doing something stupid.

I think it's a win-win.

I have reading about some cities thinking about requiring body cameras on officers.
The argument against it is privacy.

-If a criminal is doing something illegal they don't deserve much privacy.
-If it's something as small as pulling a car over for a broken light, or a speeding ticket, complaints etc. I'm sure if anything goes smoothly a video could be deleted.
I wouldn't see any reason for that video to be held on to.

I know the concerns of cost. I think it would be a helpful investment for some cities.
I would think it would some kind of way to have an camera begin recording once an officer leaves his car, or takes a call for help.

Do you think Law enforcement should be required to use Body Cameras?

Last edited by Jermaine88; 11-11-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Yes. It protects them against unwarranted lawsuits, and protects the citizens against stupid police officers.

I say yes, every damned one of them.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:35 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Yes, there is a pilot program starting up here with the Nassau County PD testing out the body cameras. It should be something that gets expanded.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:36 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Wondering if you think the police should wear body camera.

It seems like such an easy solution to so many potential problems. It could:
Justify an officers actions,
It could be an deterrent to (or confirm) a abuse of power.
It could deter either party from doing something stupid.

I think it a win-win.

I have reading about some cities thinking about requiring body cameras on officers.
The argument against it is privacy.

-If a criminal is doing something illegal they don't deserve much privacy.
-If it's something as small as pulling a car over for a broken light, or a speeding ticket, complaints etc. I'm sure if anything goes smoothly a video could be deleted.
I wouldn't see any reason for that video to be held on to.

I know the concerns of cost. I think it would be a helpful investment for some cities.
I would think it would some kid of way to have an camera begin recording once an officer leaves his car, or takes a call for help.

Do you think Law enforcement should be required to use Body Cameras?
100% yes.

My town's officers wear them and it protects me from both the occasional bad cop and of course the occasional dirtbag that is completely at fault but then sues the city for brutality etc (aka me the taxpayer).

It also cuts down on societal unrest when you can see what happened instead of having packs of liars raging back and forth from both sides like in the recent Ferguson unrest. Video trumps a lot of ugly lies, comments and outright speculation.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:40 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Considering the current lifestyle in the world today, I think it would be a good idea for EVERYBODY to wear a body camera with an 8 hour loop!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I don't agree with the government requiring people to wear cameras because of their profession... seems pretty radical to me.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Considering the current lifestyle in the world today, I think it would be a good idea for EVERYBODY to wear a body camera with an 8 hour loop!
What is it about the current lifestyle today that we should all wear cameras?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
Absolutely although I do wonder about the cost. I wonder if it is possible and cheaper to equip guns with a digital camera that snaps a picture right before the trigger is completely pulled. Store the picture in the cloud so that cops can't just take out the SD card to hide evidence. Then we can see exactly what the person saw that required them to shoot. That probably would be cheaper and less problematic than body cameras.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Absolutely although I do wonder about the cost. I wonder if it is possible and cheaper to equip guns with a digital camera that snaps a picture right before the trigger is completely pulled. Store the picture in the cloud so that cops can't just take out the SD card to hide evidence. Then we can see exactly what the person saw that required them to shoot. That probably would be cheaper and less problematic than body cameras.
The cost is far outweighed by saving money on lawsuits against unwarranted arrest

Old 11-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Cost including money and don't forget an anti-government revolution... i sure wouldn't plan on letting my govenment getting away with putting cameras on peoples guns or making them wear body cameras. i know many other would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies