Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, there are not plenty of "overweight" people that workout and maintain good health. What fantasy are you living in? Why don't those "good health" overweight people exist in developing countries?

Football linebackers are "overweight" using the erroneous BMI scale. A better scale is body fat percentage, which most of them fall within the healthy range.

You're a strain on the system by being fat.

Strawman:
By exaggerating, misrepresenting, or just completely fabricating someone's argument, it's much easier to present your own position as being reasonable, but this kind of dishonesty serves to undermine honest rational debate.
You need not lecture me about athletes. Been in the business for years. When talking abut exercise and fat, someone that say is maybe 5 to 10 lbs over what he or she should be will be compensated for with a good exercise program. That is all I am saying. That is why fat and overweight are subjective. When I hear the term fat I think big and fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantra View Post
I never understood why people have so much contempt for fat people. It's not always their fault.
It's always their fault. Do not even try to mislead people by lumping couch potatoes in with the morbidly obese who suffer from genetic or glandular problems through no fault of their own.

And, yes, you can tell by looking. The 1 person with medical issues is readily distinguishable in a crowd of 100,000 blimps. They physically look different than the sloths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantra View Post
And even if it is what business is it of anyone else's?
It's my business when I have to pay for it.

What gives you the right to take my money and waste it?

The contempt for fat people is that they are Welfare Pukes leeching off the system. This might come as a shock to you, but my purpose on this Planet is not to bank-roll your Life-Style.

You pay for your own Life-Style, and if you cannot afford your Life-Style, then you are the one that needs to change and adapt, not me.

Get over it....

Mircea

Old 11-12-2014, 12:55 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Is my weight your problem? That's the argument.
Obesity is everyone's problem. Obesity is just one of the behaviors that contributes to the 75% of medical care costs that are due to optional behaviors:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually a large percentage of health care services are optional, i.e. a matter of personal choice. If you don't smoke, don't drink, don't use drugs, watch your diet, and engage in regular exercise, your odds of becoming ill are tremendously reduced.

According to the CDC, 75% of health care costs stem from 'chronic disease' most of which is due to behavior. In other words, it is optional.
CDC - Chronic Disease - Home Page

As a conservative, I actually don't have a problem with being taxed to pay for that 25% that is due to sheer bad luck. But I have a problem if I'm taxed to pay for the guy who suffers emphysema after a lifetime of smoking, knee surgery after a lifetime of obesity, or heart disease after a lifetime of being a couch potato.
Quote:
Some folks here believe it is...which is insane if you ask me.
It's not insane to understand that others' obesity is a financial burden the entire country is being forced to bear.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I see. So you get to set the correlation percentage necessary to universally ban/legislate for all of us.
Who said anything about banning or legislating? Just don't expect others to pay for the adverse health effects of your gluttony and lack of self-discipline.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
There are MANY people who are a drain on the system through irresponsible choices but I doubt you are equally as vehement when it comes to them.
That's a good point. Anyone who makes irresponsible choices shouldn't expect others to pay for the adverse consequences.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:05 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Correct, I have no compassion for people who are fat and complain about being fat. Stop eating everything in sight and get on the stairmaster. Popping pills and feeling sorry for yourself doesn't make obesity acceptable.

Another false equivalency.

Dementia is not caused by being lazy and eating crap. Dementia is most likely not preventable. Obesity is almost 100% preventable. If obesity was natural, why isn't it seen in the developing world?

You just won't answer my quesiton, will you?

You're making a lot of good points that I happen to agree with.

Most, (and I said most, not all, but most) overweight or obese people are that way as a result of their own lifestyle choices. The choice between a burger and a salad. The choice between sitting on the couch or going for a walk.

And here's another secret: Diets don't work. Unless of course, you plan on making that diet a permanent change in your eating. If you diet for 3 months but then go back to your old ways and pack the pounds back on, don't blame the diet for 'not working'.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
its like this thread its much easier to shut up people than to own your own stuff.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Since we're moving towards taxpayer funded healthcare for all, what safeguards will be put in place to prevent over eaters, smokers, alkies and drug users from hogging up more than their fair share of the healthcare resources?

Taking from those that do the right thing to subsidize those that willingly don't is a perverse system.

Nobody wants that, liberal or conservative, I'm sure.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:32 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Oh, all you "holier than thou" health freaks. YOUR insurance and YOUR $$$$ is paying for all overweight "unhealthly" behavior.

100 lbs. me is now sitting here eating cookies, laughing at you all. How can I possibly eat junk food and not be overweight? GENES, GENES, GENES.

Did you ever consider that just MAYBE overweight people just cannot escape their genes, anymore than skinny me can? Cannot have THAT because it would mean the medicine is WRONG!!!!! PUNISH those who are somehow "inferior" to you the CHOSEN Health Control Obsessed.

It really does not matter in the end. You are who you are INSIDE, not OUTSIDE, you control freaks.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, all you "holier than thou" health freaks. YOUR insurance and YOUR $$$$ is paying for all overweight "unhealthly" behavior.

100 lbs. me is now sitting here eating cookies, laughing at you all. How can I possibly eat junk food and not be overweight? GENES, GENES, GENES.

Did you ever consider that just MAYBE overweight people just cannot escape their genes, anymore than skinny me can? Cannot have THAT because it would mean the medicine is WRONG!!!!! PUNISH those who are somehow "inferior" to you the CHOSEN Health Control Obsessed.

It really does not matter in the end. You are who you are INSIDE, not OUTSIDE, you control freaks.
So......... why were people so slim back in the 60s? Different genes in those days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies