Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You control your weight. I will never understand how people reach the morbidly obese stage. I mean, once you hit 250 or 300 you don't say to yourself this is a problem?

I'm 6'3" and stepped on the scale the day after my 40th birthday. It said 240. I decided that was unacceptable and went on to lose 55 pounds over the next nine months. How? Low carb, watching what I ate, and rowing 5x/week. I let up over the next 3 months and gained 25 back. Now I'm back on the program.

Losing weight and keeping it off isn't easy and it isn't fun. But people have to make the conscious choice to do it. It is almost always about willpower.
correct, most people have no idea that carbs turn into sugars

and sugars if not burned turn into fat

1 standard can(12oz) of Coke has as much sugar as 3 1/2 glazed donuts

I really have a hard time not laughing at some of these people when they get 3 big macs and a diet coke

and they really need to understand calories need vs use.... its not just how many or how few calories you take in, but how many you burn too.....especially if you sit in front of a computer all day.......they cant eat the same amount they used to do, doing manual labor, and now they are a manager in front of a computer all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
As the previous poster said, if it only affected them, who cares, but it affects everyone. Higher medical bills means all our insurance and taxes get increased. If they claim disability cause their too fat to work, it costs everyone money. If they call 911, now it takes more people to lift then and get them to the hospital, and more people to move them in the hospital. Lots of nurses have bad backs because of fat patients. So, yes, their being fat affects other people in a negative way.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. I'm a middle-age female, 5'8", 125 lbs. LCHF ketogenic eating habits. Physically active. Flawless annual physicals. Vitals are all fine. Require no prescription meds.

I have two adult children. Gained 40 lbs with each pregnancy and promptly lost the extra weight. If I can do it, so can anyone else. It just takes self-discipline.
call me dumb....what's LCHF???

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I have known thin women who stopped smoking and gained weight ,15 lbs or more, so they went back smoking. This is not a healthy way to stay thin. Some died of lung cancer but they were thin when they died.

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
According to the obesity scale, I am overweight. I'm 6'4" and 210lbs. My doctor says my "ideal" weight on the chart is 190 lbs or so. Now, I am the picture of health according to him, so the chart is wrong.

Are there fat people who are lazy? Yep, no doubt about it. Are there fat people who have gland issues who can't control their body weight, yep.

Its not for me to decide who eats what, how much they eat, and what they do with their lives. I just don't want to date bigger people.

My ex was a track running, fit girl when I meet her. 5 years later she had gained 70lbs and that was 4 years after our son was born. She never worked out, she never tried, she was just lazy about it. That wasn't the only reason I left her, but it was one of the reasons.

I don't have six pack abs and look like I'm the most muscled guy on the planet, but I'm built well for my height. I don't look down at others who don't look physically fit, but I just don't want to date them

Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
call me dumb....what's LCHF???
Low Carb High Fat. Also allows for a lot of protein. The point, though, is to limit carbs which are processed into sugars and stored as fat.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
According to the obesity scale, I am overweight. I'm 6'4" and 210lbs. My doctor says my "ideal" weight on the chart is 190 lbs or so. Now, I am the picture of health according to him, so the chart is wrong.

Are there fat people who are lazy? Yep, no doubt about it. Are there fat people who have gland issues who can't control their body weight, yep.

Its not for me to decide who eats what, how much they eat, and what they do with their lives. I just don't want to date bigger people.

My ex was a track running, fit girl when I meet her. 5 years later she had gained 70lbs and that was 4 years after our son was born. She never worked out, she never tried, she was just lazy about it. That wasn't the only reason I left her, but it was one of the reasons.

I don't have six pack abs and look like I'm the most muscled guy on the planet, but I'm built well for my height. I don't look down at others who don't look physically fit, but I just don't want to date them
I am not going to pretend I am "know it all", I am not. Could it be that your ex was depressed? I am 5'7" and between 118-120lb and I weight myself on weekly basis and I work out and exercise like a professional athlete because I LOVE IT. I am also, like most girls, one of those "emotional eater". When I was depressed, I ate. I craved for carbs and sugar especially. Now, I do yoga, it controls my mood and helps me thinking clearly. I would like to be a semi professional athlete for the rest of my life because sports is my biggest passion in life.

Your ex could be one of the emotional eater and didn't know how to cope with it. Marriage life with kids COULD BE overwhelming. I am not making an excuse for her, I am just saying her obesity problem could be psychological. She wasn't happy.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am not going to pretend I am "know it all", I am not. Could it be that your ex was depressed? I am 5'7" and between 118-120lb and I weight myself on weekly basis and I work out and exercise like a professional athlete because I LOVE IT. I am also, like most girls, one of those "emotional eater". When I was depressed, I ate. I craved for carbs and sugar especially. Now, I do yoga, it controls my mood and helps me thinking clearly. I would like to be a semi professional athlete for the rest of my life because sports is my biggest passion in life.

Your ex could be one of the emotional eater and didn't know how to cope with it. Marriage life with kids COULD BE overwhelming. I am not making an excuse for her, I am just saying her obesity problem could be psychological. She wasn't happy.
It could have been, but how long is it before depression turns from something that needs to be overcome, to an excuse for laziness? There is a line there.

From what you say here, its obvious you take care of yourself, and you are a beautiful woman with a beautiful body.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It could have been, but how long is it before depression turns from something that needs to be overcome, to an excuse for laziness? There is a line there.

From what you say here, its obvious you take care of yourself, and you are a beautiful woman with a beautiful body.
Depression if left untreated, can only get worse, not better.

There is a possibility that your ex suffered from some kind of depression, if not, she was definitely an emotional eater. Plus, many semi or professional athletes have screwed up metabolism after their career is over.

Did you encourage your ex to exercise, how many times did you tell her she was beautiful? Did she have problems getting naked in front of you because she was ashamed of her body?

There is a reason why fit people suddenly get fat, being lazy is an easy answer, but it is much more complicated than just being lazy.

My opinion.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Depression is left untreated, can only get worse, not better.

There is a possibility that your ex suffered from some kind of depression, if not, she was definitely an emotional eater. Plus, many semi or professional athletes have screwed up metabolism after their career is over.

Did you encourage your ex to exercise, how many times did you tell her she was beautiful? Did she have problems getting naked in front of you because she was ashamed of her body?

There is a reason why fit people suddenly get fat, being lazy is an easy answer, but it is much more complicated than just being lazy.

My opinion.
I would tell her I thought she was beautiful all the time, I would encourage her to exercise. There was always an excuse "well running when its cold out hurts my lungs" or "I'm just so tired today". There was always an excuse. She may have been depressed, but it was more laziness IMO.

Like I said, if you are depressed, you have to get it treated, otherwise it just becomes another excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies