Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Why does government have to get involved in the first place?
Let things run its coarse, letting the market be free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why does government have to get involved in the first place?
Let things run its coarse, letting the market be free.
Are you in favor of price gauging ???

Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you in favor of price gauging ???
I'm hoping you meant "gouging".

Define "gouging" for us.

I want a definitive, universally applicable definition.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'm hoping you meant "gouging".

Define "gouging" for us.

I want a definitive, universally applicable definition.
LOL I did

Price Gouging -When a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair.

The problem with you people who believe in absolute free markets is that those free markets do not have a ceiling. Inelastic goods dont have a "market value". They can be sold at what ever price the owner wants.

Imagine if private companies owned all water rights and could sell it at what ever price they wanted.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
LOL I did

Price Gouging -When a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair.
Vagueness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read it.

You defined a vague concept by declaring it to be the equivalent of two more vague and subjective terms.

Perhaps you can remove the vagueness and subjective mumbo jumbo and give us an ACTUAL definition.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Not at all.
Specifically what do you disagree with.

Quote:
Netflix (let's pick on them this time, instead of Hulu) raised their per month charge from 10 to 20, and paid some ISP's to deliver their services cheaper than everyone else's...
Yes because it's no longer about who is providing the best service but who can leverage the bandwidth to their advantage.

Again the simple solution here is to charge the consumer for the bandwidth they are using, different tiers, rates... Leave how that bandwidth is used up to the consumer.

Honestly what is not to like? The ISP has no complaints because they are getting paid for their services. The content provider has no complaint because there is a nice equal playing field. The consumer gets equal access to whatever they can afford.

The problem with this is what?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Vagueness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read it.

You defined a vague concept by declaring it to be the equivalent of two more vague and subjective terms.

Perhaps you can remove the vagueness and subjective mumbo jumbo and give us an ACTUAL definition.
Quote my entire post, i gave you examples, in context, you had a grasp of the concept and chose to ignore it.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Yes because it's no longer about who is providing the best service but who can leverage the bandwidth to their advantage.
Huh? What's your point?

Quote:
Again the simple solution here is to charge the consumer for the bandwidth they are using, different tiers, rates... Leave how that bandwidth is used up to the consumer.
You are. In all ways.

Quote:
Honestly what is not to like? The ISP has no complaints because they are getting paid for their services. The content provider has no complaint because there is a nice equal playing field. The consumer gets equal access to whatever they can afford.
What's not to like? That you put money-grubbing, crooked, corrupt, deceitful, dishonest, incompetent, and selfish politicians in charge and expect a wonderful outcome.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Quote my entire post, i gave you examples, in context, you had a grasp of the concept and chose to ignore it.
No, you did not.

You chose deliberately vague and subjective emotional words.

In other words, you avoided being honest.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
LOL I did

The words "reasonable" and "fair" are nothing other than individual opinion.

You are demanding that government regulate what someone else owns to operate the way you want it to be.

In other words... You want to control other people and what they do to your satisfaction, and you want government to do it for you by force.

You know, like an out of control bully.

Quote:
The problem with you people who believe in absolute free markets is that those free markets do not have a ceiling. Inelastic goods dont have a "market value". They can be sold at what ever price the owner wants.
Which is why you never let government get involved and create monopolies.

Quote:
Imagine if private companies owned all water rights and could sell it at what ever price they wanted.
Imagine the government has control and can tax you as much as it wants and force you to do anything it wants.

Oh, wait, the water guys can merely inconvenience you (unless you allowed government to own all the water and it sold it all...). The government is free to kill you at whim.

Really, the whole purpose of your argument, is that you wish to disguise the fact that you are merely a bully and demand that other people be forced to do as you wish, for your pleasure.

Slavery is and always was immoral. Stop demanding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies