Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 07:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The cost of the study of climate change is a pittance compared to this....

G20 countries spend $88 billion US a year subsidizing fossil fuel exploration. That's just the G20. And that's just the subsidy for exploration.
In a report last year, the IMF put global subsidies at a staggering $2 trillion US and said that without those subsidies, greenhouse gas production would plunge 13 per cent. Why your taxes pay to make climate change worse: Don Pittis - Business - CBC News
I love how you think you can justify wasting money by pointing to even larger sums of money being spent on other things.

Here is what I fail to understand. Your camp keeps saying the "science is settled" and the "debate is over" yet they still spend tens of BILLIONS of dollars each and every year studying it and releasing reports that essentially say the same things over and over and over again.

They also keep saying that time is of the essence and we have to ACT FAST. Some have said it's already too late to do anything and others say we only have a small window.

So if you believe this is a crisis and that there isn't a lot of time, why aren't YOU outraged that 110% of the time, money and effort isn't going towards solutions and preparations?

This is like a doctor telling a patient that he is 97% sure that he has an aggressive, nasty disease and there is only a short time to act before it's too late but instead he decides to study it some more and run more tests that reach the exact same conclusion over and over again.

If I believed in this crisis, I'd be pissed that the powers that be are still spending time studying this, while they say the science is settled and there is no more debate and we have to ACT FAST.

How does drilling more ice cores and field trips to arctic prepare us for the alarmist predictions of sea level rise or create new sources of green, clean energy to replace fossil fuels?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM

131 posts, read 139,336 times
Actually..... if you believe NASA, "climate change" is happening on every planet in our solar system. Policy wonks hate to admit that cowfarts and other non biological "tail pipe emissions" can not account for the radical changes being documented by NASA.

Sorry to spoil the greenies day here...

Solar System Climate Change | Wake Up World

It all gets back to that big yellow ball in the sky. Really.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
20 minutes North they got 12"-16". I'm not saying another polar vortex alone disproves Global Warming, but it's hard to argue that it hasn't been unusually cold here the past couple winters, even by our standards.
Actually the fact that the jet stream waves have been moving further south is evidence of global warming and a warming Arctic.....Here is how it works....Warming in the Arctic decreases the temperature differential between the Arctic and the temperate zone... This causes the jet stream to slow down, and slowing down causes larger loops that dip further south... This also allows cold Arctic air to go further south, and at the same time warm air from the south can migrate to the arctic causing a feed back effect.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Can you argue without resorting to hyperbole or alarmism?
Hyperbole is an extreme exaggeration used to make a point.

Is the notion that many call this settled science that man is dramatically altering the environment for the worse by emitting Co2 an exaggeration?

Is the notion that one of the proposed solutions to this is higher taxes and regulation enacted by legislation an exaggeration?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledpainter View Post
Actually..... if you believe NASA, "climate change" is happening on every planet in our solar system. Policy wonks hate to admit that cowfarts and other non biological "tail pipe emissions" can not account for the radical changes being documented by NASA.

Sorry to spoil the greenies day here...

Solar System Climate Change | Wake Up World

It all gets back to that big yellow ball in the sky. Really.
NASA has said no such thing......You should really be more selective of where you get your info....The other planets are NOT warming, and as a matter of fact the sun's radiance has been decreasing since 1960....
NASA has said no such thing.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Since I don't agree with them they are alarmist? Did I Photoshop the Statue of Liberty to make it look like the seas were rising up to her knees? That's a credible source of research and science to you?

Yeah the article itself, sounds real scientific and level headed, nothing alarmist here ...

"A profoundly altered planet is what our fossil-fuel-driven civilization is creating, a planet where Sandy-scale flooding will become more common and more destructive for the world’s coastal cities. By releasing carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere, we have warmed the Earth by more than a full degree Fahrenheit over the past century and raised sea level by about eight inches. Even if we stopped burning all fossil fuels tomorrow, the existing greenhouse gases would continue to warm the Earth for centuries. We have irreversibly committed future generations to a hotter world and rising seas."
Rising Seas

I can just hear a dramatic voice-over with some suspenseful music in the background as I read that, can't you?

This, from the same, fine company that brings you such "educational" programming as:

Are You Tougher Than a Boy Scout?
Chasing UFOs
Doomsday Preppers
Kentucky Justice
Polygamy USA
Rocket City Rednecks
Science of Stupid
View All Shows | TV Schedule for the National Geographic Channel

Yeah, it's not your father's Nat Geo anymore, Pilgrim. This is the generation of reality TV and short attention spans. Why should National Geographic fall behind the times? There's money to be made in the lowest common denominator, whether it's crap television or Photoshopping the Statue of Liberty with water up to her crotch so fools like you can think they are getting hard hitting, rigorous science.
Yes the cover is overly dramatic but the article is factual, carbon is a heat trapping gas, sea level increases and we have committed future generations to a warmer climate, seems factual to me.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:25 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,888 times
Quote:
Yes the cover is overly dramatic but the article is factual, carbon is a heat trapping gas, sea level increases and we have committed future generations to a warmer climate, seems factual to me.
Yea..ok..thats why i saw snow this morning on my driveway...ironically i wish you GW moonbats were right...i hate the cold.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
U do gud sience.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:41 AM

131 posts, read 139,336 times
sanspeur: "NASA has said no such thing......You should really be more selective of where you get your info....The other planets are NOT warming, and as a matter of fact the sun's radiance has been decreasing since 1960...."

Did you actually go to the link PROVIDED and READ the quotes by NASA AS WELL AS OTHER US GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS as well as MIT.EDU, National Geographic?

"Mars may be going through a period of climate change.............."

MARS.JPL.NASA.GOV? Is that not NASA?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It says : "We have irreversibly committed future generations to a hotter world and rising seas."

That is blatant alarmism. We can't predict what the climate will do in future generations. We can't even predict what it will do currently. For the past 16 years there has been less warming than the last 30-60 despite the same or increased C02 being emitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies