Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,574,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You can't and won't change the behavior of anyone. It is best for the "victim" and I use the term lightly, to simply ignore and move on. I doubt this will happen again in his life time.
it will more than likely happen again and he needs to be prepared for it.

and by prepared he needs to keep it move and shrug it off because this world is filled with ignorant people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 AM

17,388 posts, read 11,912,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Somewhere the kid was "taught" that whenever he hears that word aimed in his direction that he should panic and hide. It is just like yelling "bomb" the way he reacted.
I will never understand this generation of veal calves that we have now. When I grew up, sticks and stones might break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Somewhere, we lost the ability to cope.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 AM

13,628 posts, read 20,692,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
I say as upsetting as the experience was, the kid returned to his elite school and continued to look forward to a future all but guarenteed to be splendid and succesfull. It is not as if he found himself at the end of rope or Bull Connor's dogs.

I attended public school as a minority and was called whitey more times than I can count. I was also called the N word, cracker, and worse more than a few times. Not to mention numerous threats of violence, usually over the stupidest things one can imagine.

So you will forgive me if my sympathy for this young man is limited. You will also forgive me, usario, if I think you are a race baiting phony.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 AM

17,388 posts, read 11,912,130 times
Quote:
From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
Yet the first sentence completely contradicts how this man supposedly raised his children:

"I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond."

So which is it? You told them they would be treated equally, or you made them constantly on the lookout for racism?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,939,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Lol^^ This guy... What's pathetic is your "types" view that black people say this word so I should be able to say it... Pathetic is living in a bubble and believing someone's ignorance shouldn't have consequences. It might be easy to spew your hatred online but in the real would a racial slur would most likely get a racist into a confrontation that might not end well for them... To each his own I guess...
If someone has not caused physical harm to you, then you have absolutely no right to assault them for words! Why belittle yourself? Why risk it backfiring on you, where YOU end up being harmed, killed, or in prison, where your whole livelihood is thrown down the tubes because of some a-hole who is obviously insecure himself? Again all it does is feed into the stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Liberals voted for Obama because he was a welcome change from Bush...
Really? Because I see no difference. We're still involved in the Middle East. We're still bombing people over there, and we are sticking our nose in to their affairs even more which is further destabilizing that region. We still have the Patriot Act and all of the other unConstitutional agencies that have come with it. We still have the war on drugs. You were saying?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:56 AM

30,602 posts, read 21,763,953 times
Quote:
No, "cracker" is nowhere near as bad. White people don't spend their time trying to prove to the rest of society that they're not crackers. Black people have to prove to people that they're not n*ggers everyday. Whenever they step into a store, or hail a cab, or walk near White women wearing purses. Not to mention the historical baggage of the "n*gger" word: of being a worthless, uneducated Black slave.

Empathy fail.
True, as that what societal training has taught us. You could call me anything in the world and it would not be as bad ad a black man being called the N-word in this country. Now if the intent was calling me a 'Cracker' while attacking me that would obviously be worse, as there would be an action associated with the word.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yet the first sentence completely contradicts how this man supposedly raised his children:

"I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond."

So which is it? You told them they would be treated equally, or you made them constantly on the lookout for racism?
he just sounds like a guy who was raised in the 60's and hoped he could insulate his kids from racism.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I say as upsetting as the experience was, the kid returned to his elite school and continued to look forward to a future all but guarenteed to be splendid and succesfull. It is not as if he found himself at the end of rope or Bull Connor's dogs.

I attended public school as a minority and was called whitey more times than I can count. I was also called the N word, cracker, and worse more than a few times. Not to mention numerous threats of violence, usually over the stupidest things one can imagine.

So you will forgive me if my sympathy for this young man is limited. You will also forgive me, usario, if I think you are a race baiting phony.
I agree with your first paragraph...

but obviously since you REMEMBER being called all those names it had an impact on you.

Not sure why people need to tell their story every time someone else tells there's... it's not like you story isn't true.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 AM

13,794 posts, read 5,512,708 times
Quote:
A lot of people seem to think that the emotional and psychological effect of being called a n*gger is equivalent to being called a wuss, geek, or a cracker: something you can just "get over" and blame a single drunk person for.
A lot of people think that because its true. It is equivalent. It is boorish, vulgar behavior promulgated by individual jackasses, only the "N-word" gets special treatment as some singular horror. Google up the story about when Gwyneth Paltrow wore her "fat outfit/makeup" in a hotel bar to see if anyone could tell it was her back when they filmed "Shallow Hal." Ask a fat person how many times in the last week someone made them feel horrible.

Hell, when I was 11, I got my ass kicked at recess because I was the new kid at school and just got 100% on a math test everyone else did poorly on, and I wrecked the grading curve. That one test set a tone for the next two years, and four-eyes, geek, nerd, etc, plus a random beating here and there were all common occurrences in my daily life. But oh no, nobody knows the special pain and horror of the N-word...not at all.

I am not making light of vulgarity based on race, but it isn't special, unique or somehow worse than a ton of other vulgarities thrown at all kinds of people every single day. Like another poster said, that kid could be fat, he could be gay/effeminate, have really thick glasses, or any of dozens of factors that would get that exact same Acura with the same two jackasses acting the exact same way, with only the verbiage of their vulgarity altered for their target of that particular moment. Bummer that the kid got dissed, and I hate unsolicited negativity with the white hot heat of 1,000 suns, but a black kid being called the N-word and a smart 11 year old getting his ass kicked for being good at math are not vastly different things. The bully class finds targets, and black skin is just one of many things that ping their moron radars.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:03 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,783,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
This is a stupid story. Some rich guy just wanted a reason to act like his son was a victim, because in our twisted society, you're somehow considered more noble if you experienced oppression.
Had nothing to do with oppression, or buildint character through strife, it was about how he aspired to assimilate in to his class system, wealth level, and neighborhood in which they lived in, not just trying to be civil, posh, and proper, but trying to live the white upperclass lifestyle in a desperate attempt to mask their blackness to keep them from being the victim of what he faced as a child, when his parents picked the same lifestyle. It was really just a false hope, that his plan would work better than hisnparents, ultimately leaving his kids blind to reality, you can be sure channels such as BET, Bounce, and TVY weren't watched, r&b, and rap or hip-hop wasn't listened to, sheltering them from things that has to do with the culture of "lesser blck people," as Chris Rock has said; "it's all right, if it's all white."

Seeing as it's based on an essay, it has to be satire, it was too amusin not to be, the sad thing is, the essay is probably based on real life experiences, which I have no doubts of factuality- which is sad. I try not to come off as some ghetto ignorant aggiN, as Uncle Ruckus would say, but I don't nor ever want to take the Carlton Banks route. I did get me a white woman, though(lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies