Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
it's a shame the "n" word is still a part of the vernacular of the ignorant. It's a shame the useless pieces of human waste decided to verbally accost a good kid and that he'll carry that memory with him.
This is how many black people start out hating white people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
White people do not care if you are rich,dress non-thuggish,are educated,and have manners.
It does NOT MATTER how you act or CONDUCT yourself.

At the end of the day,you are still black to them.

As evidenced by THIS very board,who know damn well being called the n word is NOT the same as being called a geek.

The man who wrote the article is a Conservative Republican BTW.

This is why lots of blacks are not Republican.

Why should some blacks develop a thick skin?

Why change the victims thinking?

Change the behavior of the bully.
Yes, I'm sure that poor boy's life will be haunted by the time somebody called him a name.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Seriously, this is more about them being townies than anything else. I experienced this stuff back when I was in boarding school all the time from them. Black, white, hispanics - didn't matter which of us were on the receiving end because the theme was the same. They would try to insult us and act 'tough' because they were losers who had to look at wealthy kids going to a school right in their town which they could never, ever go to.

Granted, his son is young but our usual response was to laugh and say something along the lines of 'you'll be pumping our gas in a few years'. Then we would all laugh among ourselves at our 'wittiness' and continue on in our day. Seriously, this has been going on forever at boarding schools because there is a real division between the townies and students.

Basically, this guy overreacted in a huge way. More importantly, while there were very few mixed race and blacks at my boarding school, every single one of us went to great colleges and are now very successful. Last laugh and all of that. The author really needs to calm down.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:23 PM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
it's a shame the "n" word is still a part of the vernacular of the ignorant. It's a shame the useless pieces of human waste decided to verbally accost a good kid and that he'll carry that memory with him.

But life isn't fair, or neat and pretty. He's gonna need to thicken up that skin at some point, the sooner the better I say.
Whats unfortunate is a simple word was turned into something that was an equivelent of an physical attack. Apparently it's a sacred word now. If I was that kid and a couple of white or other kids accosted me and called a Ngr I would assume the guys were going to shoot me next. The societal outlawing of the word turned it into something more powerful then it should have been.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'm guessing that some people here have never been gut-punched or their face slammed into the playground dirt because they dressed or talked "different" than the bully. They imagine that one person's insult is somehow "worse" than other's. In reality, this about playing victim of their skin color.

Whether the animosity is about religion, race, gender, ethnicity, disability, or any one of 5000 different reasons immature people abuse others personally, it's all wrong.

By minimizing some "insults" and maximizing others, we continue the stereotypes and continue and deepen the divisions among us that should not exist.
The division is already there. You can see that by just reading through this thread. Truth is, you're not going to be able to influence a conservative into taking a stance based on integrity. Not when they can use race as a basis for forming opinions...

Old 11-11-2014, 11:53 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is how many black people start out hating white people
There is no need for hate. Honestly the best way to confront ignorance is with violence...

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Seriously, this is more about them being townies than anything else. I experienced this stuff back when I was in boarding school all the time from them. Black, white, hispanics - didn't matter which of us were on the receiving end because the theme was the same. They would try to insult us and act 'tough' because they were losers who had to look at wealthy kids going to a school right in their town which they could never, ever go to.

Granted, his son is young but our usual response was to laugh and say something along the lines of 'you'll be pumping our gas in a few years'. Then we would all laugh among ourselves at our 'wittiness' and continue on in our day. Seriously, this has been going on forever at boarding schools because there is a real division between the townies and students.

Basically, this guy overreacted in a huge way. More importantly, while there were very few mixed race and blacks at my boarding school, every single one of us went to great colleges and are now very successful. Last laugh and all of that. The author really needs to calm down.

The writer sure did come off elitist about being elite.
Also stereotypical about his own race and used comparisons to areas and a life that he himself did not grow up with.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I went to a majority black school and endured and saw much worse black treatment of whites than what was described in that article as treatment of blacks at a white majority school. In fact, it's no contest. Which is worse, being called a N***** or being stabbed to death or beaten unconscious?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
of course white conservative males will defend the white aggressor and not the black victim.

conservative white males do not like black people. that's the easy way around it without wasting time with political correctness.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
The entire article is merely about someone's kid getting called a N-word, and that it offended him.

I understand that black people don't like that word. And it is perfectly understandable for them not to like it. But the word itself shouldn't be offensive. As many a comedian has said, it is really about who is saying it, and what they mean when they say it. That isn't just the N-word, it is every word.

What we are really talking about here is "respect". The people saying that word intend to be disrespectful, and hateful. But I've been called things by people who I know were being just as disrespectful and hateful to me as any racist has ever been to anyone else.

What we are really referring to are "fighting words". Which are basically words intended to incense people to want to fight. Or at least are intended to demean and/or provoke a response.

Trust me, no young man goes through school unscathed from nasty words, or nasty people. I got into several fights as a young man because people would make fun of practically every aspect of my appearance. I was also "exceptionally short" for my age till I was about fourteen and a half. I was 5'1" and about 100 pounds until I was almost fourteen. I grew a foot in height in about 2.5 years.

In fact, it was so bad for me, that I could say that I've never really won a fight.

When I was short, I lost every fight, and I would even get literally attacked by people for reasons I still don't know. Then when I got tall(I'm about 6'2" now). Every fight I've had since, hasn't really been a "fight" in the practical sense. It was just me defending myself or someone else, usually by holding them down in some way, but without any intention of doing them harm.

With that said, I don't support people calling anyone else names. I would wish for everyone to treat people, at least individuals, with respect. Because I would want to be treated with respect.

As for this article and the N-word in general. I think in most cases, black people are just ridiculously oversensitive when it comes to any name calling aimed at them. To the extent that their constant whining comes off less about a general call for treating people with respect, and more about just them. Which to me is obnoxious and actually pisses me off. Especially since they regularly call each other the exact same name, and are quick to want to "attack"(literally or figuratively) any white person who even repeats the word. Even if they mean absolutely nothing by it.

It becomes a matter of "racial special-privilege", and actually undermines the whole anti-racism movement. If there was "actual condemnation" of the entire usage of the word, and for that matter every other "hate" word, then we might be able to get somewhere. But wherever there is an absence of consistency, there is the presence of hypocrisy. Wherever there is hypocrisy, there is hate.

If you don't want to be consistent, then just shut up. Because you do more harm than good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies