Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
I say that, at the very least, you should have posted your thread title in quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Obviously the father didn't prepare his son for being called the n word. We can't protect our kids of all what goes on in the world.. it is a bad place with bad people as well as the good.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
of course white conservative males will defend the white aggressor and not the black victim.

conservative white males do not like black people. that's the easy way around it without wasting time with political correctness.
Wow. do you actually believe that . You are so wrong.

I know what offends me is democrats like Clinton saying about a black person.. they used to carry my luggage. Now that offends me. As if the democrats like Clinton is bragging they gave blacks their rights.. sickening.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:13 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
of course white conservative males will defend the white aggressor and not the black victim.

conservative white males do not like black people. that's the easy way around it without wasting time with political correctness.

Where is this defended here?

There you go falsely falsely race as a weapon.

The author didn't even say the men were white.
Sure you weren't one of the two men yourself?

"It was a Tuesday afternoon when my 15-year-old son called from his academic summer program at a leafy New England boarding school and told me that as he was walking across campus, a gray Acura with a broken rear taillight pulled up beside him. Two men leaned out of the car and glared at him.
“Are you the only ****** at Mellon Academy*?†one shouted.
Certain that he had not heard them correctly, my son moved closer to the curb, and asked politely, “I’m sorry; I didn’t hear you.â€

But he had heard correctly. And this time the man spoke more clearly. “Only … ******,†he said with added emphasis.
My son froze. He dropped his backpack in alarm and stepped back from the idling car. The men honked the horn loudly and drove off, their laughter echoing behind them.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
I'm White Female Leftie (card carrying Green Party member) and I completely believe this story to be true.

As a white female, I have never been stopped in a store, suspected of stealing.

As a white female, my parents never had to teach me to keep both hands on the wheel during a traffic stop.

As a white female, I was never taught to make it clear I was exercising and not running from the scene of a crime.

As usual, people, when confronted with the truthful and ugly reality of others, bury their head in the sand and call them liars. I know for a fact that this story is true. I've witnessed it myself living in a neighborhood with a decent amount of minorities. People do treat minorities differently.

Lawrence Graham and his wife did everything the "right" way, did everything the righties would say they should in order to not subject themselves to profiling and racism, yet here we are...

The father has still been pulled over because he drives a luxury car.

Two white men felt entitled to pull over and call a young black teen a ******.

Those two incident right there should tell you that there are very different experiences in America depending on your skin color.

I'm sure some people here will call me a bleeding heart apologist. I'm a realist.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Well, let's change the story and put in ...

"Kid"
"Geek"
"fatty"
"wuss"
"prettyboy"
"Bi***"
and about 200 other words you could put in there and you'll notice that every last one of them hinges on what the ONE WHO IS CALLED NAMES thinks of themselves. Wait until they get slightly older an they called "Oreos" and other insulting things for being educated, smart, and capable.

Then let's revisit this and see if racism is really the factor, or if it's about something else entirely...
Kid isn't an insult.

The rest? They are insults and unfortunately, there are people like the white men in the story, who feel entitled to call people these disgusting names based on what they look like or who they are (fat or gay).

So what is your point in bringing this up?

As usual, people who don't want to believe racism and white privilege exist sputter violently, "B-b-b-but, people are called these names tooooooo."

Listen, its all wrong and if this story was about an affluent overweight person being harassed in the same manner as the boy in the story, I would be just as angry as I am now.

But its not about gay people or overweight people in this thread. Its about minorities. Now that it has been acknowledged that people can be jerks to others due to differences, can we please stay on topic here? The deflection that happens in these threads is ridiculous already.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes, affirmative action is worse than some kid being called the "n" word at an elitist east coast prep school. At least he is at that prep school, there is a good chance that some Asian or white kid was refused entry to that school so that racial quotas could be met.
Why do you believe the younger Mr. Graham did not earn his place at that school?

Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Stop it please. The POTUS is only half "Black' tho Mr Obama sees himself as a Black dude. He's just as "white".

Tossing out the N word is just stupid. Part of why I say that is because many younger Black dudes have taken it back and use it against each other. Kinda like "Redneck" used to be a big slur but many people "see" themselves as Rednecks, even some Black people because they like the country life.
I'll say it until I'm blue in the face.

If Barack Hussein Obama was arrested for knocking over a convenience store you wouldn't care that he was "really just as white." He'd be black to you because that is how he looks. Yet, since he is president that qualifier must be in there. Ask yourself why.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Reminds of the time I was called a ******* **** by a group of ******s while walking home from school in back in the day.

Cry me a river and get over it. Obviously this father gave his kids everything they need to be a success except a thick skin and coping skills.

Considering white people were rarely, if ever, lynched....

Considering white people are rarely, if ever, shot and killed by police and citizens for undue reasons....

Considering white people are less likely to be convicted of crimes they have committed versus the fact that minorities are more likely to be convicted of crimes they did NOT commit...

You have no clue what you are talking about. This is about more than a word, growing thick skin and/or learning coping mechanisms.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I went to a majority black school and endured and saw much worse black treatment of whites than what was described in that article as treatment of blacks at a white majority school. In fact, it's no contest. Which is worse, being called a N***** or being stabbed to death or beaten unconscious?
I would be interested in reading more about this. You should think about writing an article about it. I think it would serve an important purpose in the ongoing national discussion on race relations in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies