Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the US be better off if cannabis (marijuana) was legal instead of alcohol? Both legal or illeg
Cannabis legal, alcohol illegal. 8 10.81%
Alcohol legal, cannabis illegal. 10 13.51%
Both legal. 49 66.22%
Both illegal. 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Long-term marijuana use can lead to brain damage, study shows - Videos - CBS News

Another study links mj use to brain damage. Granted it's your brain, so it's yours to damage if you wish. However, to the extent that I am required to pay taxes to repair and rehab the damage, I'm going to demand a say in the prevention of said damage.

Marijuana's long-term effects on the brain demonstrated -- ScienceDaily

Same study, more detailed.

The research team studied 48 adult marijuana users and 62 gender- and age-matched non-users, accounting for potential biases such as gender, age and ethnicity. The authors also controlled for tobacco and alcohol use. On average, the marijuana users who participated in the study consumed the drug three times per day. Cognitive tests show that chronic marijuana users had lower IQ compared to age-and gender-matched controls but the differences do not seem to be related to the brain abnormalities as no direct correlation can be drawn between IQ deficits and OFC volume decrease.

Three times a day is extremely heavy use. Also the study shows the brain rewires itself over a given time period to compensate.

Now, 90% of pot smokers don't smoke three joints a day. I can roll one in the after that'll last me three days.

So again, what you posted, is skewed for news headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Did you read the story? Only if started before age 24 or 25. After that, there is little side effects for people only smoking, lets say, one joint a day. This is like saying I only have a six pack a day.

Heavy use constitutes 3 joints a day, so 18 beers a day.

To put it in terms that non smokers would understand
Well, since we have no way of knowing just how many joints a person smokes in a day, unless you want some government intrusion on that, then I agree with wutitiz. Go do your drugs, go drink yourself until your liver bloats up in protest, go destroy yourself, who cares. But the second that I, or anyone else, has to pay for those choices, whether monetarily or because you can't stay away from your car after doing such things, then there needs to be some kind of regulation. If we have to have this b.s. called ACA, where we all get to pay in to so that others can have their doctor's visits paid for, then I believe we all do have something to say.

OR

Leave me and my money alone, knock yourself out with your drugs and alcohol.

You can't have it both ways. You don't get to drink and smoke yourself to death and ask me to pay for it. Choose one or the other.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, since we have no way of knowing just how many joints a person smokes in a day, unless you want some government intrusion on that, then I agree with wutitiz. Go do your drugs, go drink yourself until your liver bloats up in protest, go destroy yourself, who cares. But the second that I, or anyone else, has to pay for those choices, whether monetarily or because you can't stay away from your car after doing such things, then there needs to be some kind of regulation. If we have to have this b.s. called ACA, where we all get to pay in to so that others can have their doctor's visits paid for, then I believe we all do have something to say.

OR

You can't have it both ways. You don't get to drink and smoke yourself to death and ask me to pay for it. Choose one or the other.

time to for you to worry what people are eating, wouldn't you say!! sugar is way more detrimental to ones health if to much is consumed than pot..

Old 11-12-2014, 06:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

OR

So what you're saying is people should be limited in the amount of beer they buy also.

Look, I've smoked pot for a long time. I've had years where I didn't, years where I did. 90% of tokers only smoke about one joint a day. If that. These people are smoking at least 3.

Like I said, thats the equivalent to 18 beers a day. All things in moderation, but this is a free country, and if someone wants to overindulge in chocolate, alcohol, pot, candy, bacon, whatever, we don't need to outlaw those things just because someone can't control themselves, 1 in a 10000 people.

I don't say we should ban soda and bacon just because honey bobos mom is a fat cow

Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
How one's habits affect others and/or their pocketbooks is another...or rather, 100 other problems completely.
There isn't any one of us treating our bodies 100 % perfectly and so that we can't find fault with something you are doing.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Merchants who legally sell alcohol and tobacco are not allowed to sell to children. A lot of high school students can easily obtain illegal drugs than alcohol and tobacco.

Government can control drug sells by making marijuana legal. Obesity is a national epidemic, killing millions every year, but the government has no right to regulate how much citizens eat.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
time to for you to worry what people are eating, wouldn't you say!! sugar is way more detrimental to ones health if to much is consumed than pot..
This thread is about alcohol and marijuana. If you would like to start a thread about how much we should worry about what people are eating, please feel free to do so, and I will comment there. Until that time, please stay on topic, as my response was on topic.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So what you're saying is people should be limited in the amount of beer they buy also.

Look, I've smoked pot for a long time. I've had years where I didn't, years where I did. 90% of tokers only smoke about one joint a day. If that. These people are smoking at least 3.

Like I said, thats the equivalent to 18 beers a day. All things in moderation, but this is a free country, and if someone wants to overindulge in chocolate, alcohol, pot, candy, bacon, whatever, we don't need to outlaw those things just because someone can't control themselves, 1 in a 10000 people.

I don't say we should ban soda and bacon just because honey bobos mom is a fat cow
I did not say, "people should be limited" to the amount they drink. I also did not say, "people should be limited" to the amount of marijuana they smoke. Do not put words in to my mouth. What I said was, if you want to drink and smoke, I don't give a crap. Do it. I only care when I have to pay for it.

What you have failed to comprehend is that you are asking to be allowed to drink and smoke as much as you want, but then we have all these other things that come in to play where we end up having to pay for it. I don't want to pay for your marijuana smoking any more than I want to pay for some fool who can't put down the bottle. THAT is what I said.

If you want the freedom to do what you want, then stop trying to get laws enacted that require everyone else to pay for your bad choices.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Legalizing marijuana sells has benefits, for example, By providing legal supplies of currently illegal drugs the price will fall, leading to a collapse in the illegal drug industry, and a reduction in crimes committed by both drug suppliers and users.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
As a libertarian you should consider the impact on the society as whole. Would a libertarian have to agree it is ok for his neighbor to burn toxic garbage on his back yard? According to your argument they should not have the power to tell the neighbor what to do, but that is NOT a libertarian stance.

If drug legalization leads to increase in crime and welfare spending, as it has in countries like Portugal and Holland, then the libertarian position would be to keep it illegal. Increase in crime and welfare spending infringes on my liberties, so the answer is no.

The Holland (Dutch) Experiment

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

The PortugueseExperiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).

Netherlands now has more prison staff than prisoners - World - CBC News
Prison Overcrowding Undermining Rehabilitation, Says Report

less people smoke pot per capita in the Netherlands than do in the usa and it is practically legal there..

the legalization of weed created 2000 direct jobs and 10,000 ancillary jobs in Colorado alone!!! not to mention all the tax revenue it brings in to the state,, and other notable facts are that violent crime has dropped significantly along with car break ins and theft in general. I guess the cops have to focus on crime instead of wasting time on some innocent pedestrian with a dime bag of weed.. you hardened prohibitionists types are losing big time!!! all the fear mongering you spew is just the opposite of what you preach..

keep spewing your propaganda..

I think its time for you nanny's to start ragging on obesity the second most deadly and costly problem in the usa

What The Obesity Epidemic Costs Us [Infographic] - Forbes

Obesity Second Leading Cause of Preventable U.S. Deaths, CDC Study Finds - California Healthline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies