Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the US be better off if cannabis (marijuana) was legal instead of alcohol? Both legal or illeg
Cannabis legal, alcohol illegal. 8 10.81%
Alcohol legal, cannabis illegal. 10 13.51%
Both legal. 49 66.22%
Both illegal. 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 AM

10,077 posts, read 5,707,059 times

Advertisements

Rather see pot legal than alcohol. I remember one comedian pointing out that pot heads just wanna stay home and get baked. But drinking alcohol is a social activity. People don't want to drink alone, and then they become a threat to society when they get behind the wheel. Also, you got an angry drunk, but have you ever seen an angry pothead? lol

Course full legalization of pot might lead to pot bars or clubs. Who knows, but I think it's wrong to deny the drug to anyone who needs relief from chronic pain or medical purposes. There are a lot of prescribed medications out there that do much more harm to the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,776,530 times
Last time they made alcohol illegal, they created the mob.

Organized crime currently relies heavily on MJ grown by Mexican drug lords-- the same ones who are causing so much trouble down there.

I don't think decriminalization is enough... the best policy is full blown legalization, regulation and yes, taxation.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,906,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, since we have no way of knowing just how many joints a person smokes in a day, unless you want some government intrusion on that, then I agree with wutitiz. Go do your drugs, go drink yourself until your liver bloats up in protest, go destroy yourself, who cares. But the second that I, or anyone else, has to pay for those choices, whether monetarily or because you can't stay away from your car after doing such things, then there needs to be some kind of regulation. If we have to have this b.s. called ACA, where we all get to pay in to so that others can have their doctor's visits paid for, then I believe we all do have something to say.

OR

Leave me and my money alone, knock yourself out with your drugs and alcohol.

You can't have it both ways. You don't get to drink and smoke yourself to death and ask me to pay for it. Choose one or the other.
So now you are not for taking care of the poor? I remember not to long ago you jumped me for not wanting to support the poor. Walk the streets and you will find many poor people spend and trade their food stamps for drugs. I have seen it myself with generations of families using drugs and food stamps before buying formula for the baby. Amazing poor people can abuse the system in this way, while most look the other way and call these our poor people. All the while, people jump those who want to use pot legally without judgement from others.
We need to reform the welfare system, poor today is not the poor of the 1940's or 1950's.

Most responsible (yes there are responsible pot smokers)) carry their own insurance, pay their own bills and ask nothing from you or the government. Most don't even connect the dots to many who use welfare and use drugs or sell them while the taxpayer blames all pot smokers for problems in the world. I haven't seen a generation of brain dead people, except for some voters, have you? People from the 60's and 70's are not dying or entering convalescent homes by the thousands, due to not being able to take care of their self. Humboldt County has always had good pot, so this idea pot is different today, those people were not around in the 70's in N. CA

How Cannabinoids May Slow Brain Aging | TIME.com How is this costing you or anyone else?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:11 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,706,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh I agree completely.

But understand it from their point of view. The art of war says you should understand your enemy, no?

They've been told through government propaganda for decades that marijuana is bad for them. So they latch onto any news story that agrees with that position, and try and flail and grab for any branch on the way down to the realization that they bought a lie for years and years.

Just like the story that Wutitz posted, I debunked it, by showing the actual numbers. They read the headline "marijuana causes brain damage" without looking at the factual data of the study.

To much of anything is bad, but most people don't do to much marijuana, mcdonalds, beer, whatever. Most people have a little, or even a lot sometimes, but rarely. Eating McDonalds 3 times a day for years and years is going to have bad effects also, anyone seen "super size me"?

I keep hearing wut wiz and many other posters say "they don't want to pay for a pot users health care", but they fail to understand if you throw people in prison for smoking reefer madness you will pay more in the long run.. the average cost to incarcerate an individual reefer madness smoker is like 48 thousand annually.. and if that incarcerated person gets sick in prison that cost sky rockets, and depending on the ailment it can go through the roof not to mention that tossing someone into prison for something that should be legal can create even more crime when they get out.. kind of like if one hangs with thugs one will become a thug, and prisons are full of thugs, so the out come cant be good!!! the average people that smoke pot are just regular people..

so I guess they would rather have the nanny state

apprehend

prosecute

house

feed

cloth

and give free medical dental procedures to all imprisoned reefer madness smokers..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:11 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,340,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I keep hearing wut wiz and many other posters say "they don't want to pay for a pot users health care", but they fail to understand if you throw people in prison for smoking reefer madness you will pay more in the long run.. the average cost to incarcerate an individual reefer madness smoker is like 48 thousand annually.. and if that incarcerated person gets sick in prison that cost sky rockets, and depending on the ailment it can go through the roof not to mention that tossing someone into prison for something that should be legal can create even more crime when they get out.. kind of like if one hangs with thugs one will become a thug, and prisons are full of thugs, so the out come cant be good!!! the average people that smoke pot are just regular people..

so I guess they would rather have the nanny state

apprehend

prosecute

house

feed

cloth

and give free medical dental procedures to all imprisoned reefer madness smokers..
I agree, their view is short sighted.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,906,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Last time they made alcohol illegal, they created the mob.

Organized crime currently relies heavily on MJ grown by Mexican drug lords-- the same ones who are causing so much trouble down there.

I don't think decriminalization is enough... the best policy is full blown legalization, regulation and yes, taxation.
Why should pot smokers have to buy from a pot shop? Taxes, the government would sure love more money they can waste sending to Mexico to deal with their drug issues.

It's already all over the streets, how will they ever regulate what the government allowed to spread around?

Taxing is going to still lead to blackmarket......pot smokers are not going to pay more, when they know they can pay less, elsewhere.

My solution, allow people to grow 10 plants for personal use, 30 plants for small-business man to sell and claim the income. Tax the income not the pot, do away with prison time and release all those in prison now for MJ offenses.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why should pot smokers have to buy from a pot shop? Taxes, the government would sure love more money they can waste sending to Mexico to deal with their drug issues.

It's already all over the streets, how will they ever regulate what the government allowed to spread around?

Taxing is going to still lead to blackmarket......pot smokers are not going to pay more, when they know they can pay less, elsewhere.

My solution, allow people to grow 10 plants for personal use, 30 plants for small-business man to sell and claim the income. Tax the income not the pot, do away with prison time and release all those in prison now for MJ offenses.

Not a bad solution at all. I should have the choice like with tomatoes by either buying it at a shop, or growing a couple of plants in my garden.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM

30,214 posts, read 23,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So now you are not for taking care of the poor? I remember not to long ago you jumped me for not wanting to support the poor. Walk the streets and you will find many poor people spend and trade their food stamps for drugs. I have seen it myself with generations of families using drugs and food stamps before buying formula for the baby. Amazing poor people can abuse the system in this way, while most look the other way and call these our poor people. All the while, people jump those who want to use pot legally without judgement from others.
We need to reform the welfare system, poor today is not the poor of the 1940's or 1950's.

Most responsible (yes there are responsible pot smokers)) carry their own insurance, pay their own bills and ask nothing from you or the government. Most don't even connect the dots to many who use welfare and use drugs or sell them while the taxpayer blames all pot smokers for problems in the world. I haven't seen a generation of brain dead people, except for some voters, have you? People from the 60's and 70's are not dying or entering convalescent homes by the thousands, due to not being able to take care of their self. Humboldt County has always had good pot, so this idea pot is different today, those people were not around in the 70's in N. CA

How Cannabinoids May Slow Brain Aging | TIME.com How is this costing you or anyone else?
The ACA doesn't benefit anyone, not even the poor. Stop pretending it does. Now, back to the subject at hand, marijuana and alcohol use.

AS STATED, again, you do whatever you want, I don't give a fig, just leave me and my money alone, and leave everyone else and their money alone. It's a pretty simple concept.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,706,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Not a bad solution at all. I should have the choice like with tomatoes by either buying it at a shop, or growing a couple of plants in my garden.

if one can brew and grow tobacco,then one should be able to grow pot for their own use

Old 11-12-2014, 08:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,958,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if one can brew and grow tobacco,then one should be able to grow pot for their own use

For sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies