Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times

Advertisements

When all this first started people were frustrated with criminals that did a minute in jail and then walked out to their millions of dollars of stuff bought with the money they'd stolen.

So the law as written made sense.

Then the agencies said "FREE STUFF" and it went horribly out of control.

I applaud the new bill, but given that the President's choice for AG is totally supportive of civil forfeiture, is the President likely to sign the bill?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
When all this first started people were frustrated with criminals that did a minute in jail and then walked out to their millions of dollars of stuff bought with the money they'd stolen.

So the law as written made sense.

Then the agencies said "FREE STUFF" and it went horribly out of control.

I applaud the new bill, but given that the President's choice for AG is totally supportive of civil forfeiture, is the President likely to sign the bill?

dems always say that they are for the common people, they better sign this or it will tell all the common people that they do not want to help anyone but themselves.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Good for Rand Paul !!! Its a great starting point to bring back some sanity. I hope it gets the support it needs to pass. We might have to email some folks to let them know there is support here in the real world. Hope the OP and posters keep the thread up dated.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:57 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Excellent news, I for one would love to see this pass!

The article indicates that its possibly fluff designed to help his presidential run. Meh, its a bit early for it to be fluff I think, for it to be any help to him he has to get it into law and passed.

Im no fan of him for some things, but this certainly is the sort of thing I want to see my government fixing. Go Rand Paul!

Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Long overdue but glad that recent media criticism of this unlawful practice is helping make some changes

Comprehensive Federal Civil Forfeiture Reform Introduced in U.S. House and Senate
The FAIR Act would provide vital protections for property owners while curtailing the perverse profit incentive in federal forfeiture law
Today, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Mich., introduced the Fifth Amendment Integrity Restoration Act of 2015. The FAIR Act would correct serious defects in current federal civil forfeiture law that place enormous burdens on owners faced with the loss of their property while permitting law enforcement officials to profit from forfeiture. The bill is introduced in the wake of growing criticism and outrage about the government’s civil forfeiture practices.

CNN VIDEO - Government seizing assets, keeping the cash

New York Civil Forfeiture Nightmare Ends
Prosecutors Agree To Return $447,000 Seized from Innocent Family Business.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Good to see!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Forfeiture, as currently practiced, does not really require a successful criminal prosecution. It is a form of taxation and punishment that seemingly doesn’t require the constitutional niceties of a criminal conviction, according to the current federal courts. (This, despite the clear language of Article V, of the Constitution, and the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Amendments to the Constitution — AND a president who claims to be a Professor of Constitutional Law…)

It is an example of the blatant and extreme political corruption of the American judicial system that such an unconstitutional procedure as forfeiture is allowed to flourish unchecked. I am sure that the ghost of Joseph Stalin is laughing! And of course forfeiture couldn't happen without the bully cops turning their backs on the Constitution and instead employing the "Nuremburg" defense!

Will the general public wake up and stop being sheep or just let the government kill this country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Great idea. My local police department drives around in Escalades and Corvettes, and they sure as hell didn't buy them with their budget.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
It's worthwhile to track this Senate Bill.

Seems to me there will likely be serious pushback from those states/ counties/ municipalities that created their own statutes enabling civil forfeiture and depend on the windfall.

NC is the only state that requires a conviction. Just incredible.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
One has always been able sue over the courts over forfeitures.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One has always been able sue over the courts over forfeitures.
Oh you have no idea.....So unlike when YOU are charged with a crime, int his case...your property is. The government does not need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to prevail. Instead prosecutors show a link 9no matter how tenous or insane) and you have to prove your innocence. AND you do not have the right to an attorney, its handled in civil court.

of the seizures challenged 96% of the time you lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies