Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:38 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul introduces bill to reform civil asset forfeiture - The Washington Post

Quote:
The FAIR Act would change federal law and protect the rights of property owners by requiring that the government prove its case with clear and convincing evidence before forfeiting seized property.
It's about time.

Our governments have gotten completely out of control - and the courts have been their willing and enthusiastic accomplices.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Very good indeed.

Note that the proposed Bill actually amends some existing laws. For one, discarding the 'preponderance of the evidence' standard (the lowest level of proof) for 'clear and convincing evidence' (a higher standard, although not as high as 'beyond a reasonable doubt').

Here is a link to proposed bill:

http://www.paul.senate.gov/files/documents/FAIRAct.pdf

Here is a link to the one of the laws (General rules for civil forfeiture proceedings) as it currently stands:

18 U.S.C. 983 - General rules for civil forfeiture proceedings

No doubt, some of the states will protest (Texas for one, I imagine, since some cities here make big money off civil forfeiture).

I no longer have the link, but an article in The New Yorker (some 2 years ago) also detailed how some people here in Texas lost (temporarily at least) custody of their children (I believe in one case the police officer thought he smelled marijuana in the car; the person lost her car, and CPS took her children away).

Old 11-12-2014, 06:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Rand Paul introduces bill to reform civil asset forfeiture - The Washington Post

It's about time.

Our governments have gotten completely out of control - and the courts have been their willing and enthusiastic accomplices.

Look who is leading us, out of tyranny.....
It's not a Bush or a Clinton.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Look who is leading us, out of tyranny.....
It's not a Bush or a Clinton.

Here is the New Yorker article I was speaking of:

Taken - The New Yorker

Read carefully and tell us who led us into this tyranny in 1984.....

Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:

It's about time.

It's way past time. I'm sure all the left wing nut jobs will be attacking this "crazy" bill because it's introduced by their "TEEEEE Party Nemesis. I have to wonder why, with all the years that Dems were in power, they did nothing about this.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Very good indeed.

Note that the proposed Bill actually amends some existing laws. For one, discarding the 'preponderance of the evidence' standard (the lowest level of proof) for 'clear and convincing evidence' (a higher standard, although not as high as 'beyond a reasonable doubt').

Here is a link to proposed bill:

http://www.paul.senate.gov/files/documents/FAIRAct.pdf

Here is a link to the one of the laws (General rules for civil forfeiture proceedings) as it currently stands:

18 U.S.C. 983 - General rules for civil forfeiture proceedings

No doubt, some of the states will protest (Texas for one, I imagine, since some cities here make big money off civil forfeiture).

I no longer have the link, but an article in The New Yorker (some 2 years ago) also detailed how some people here in Texas lost (temporarily at least) custody of their children (I believe in one case the police officer thought he smelled marijuana in the car; the person lost her car, and CPS took her children away).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's way past time. I'm sure all the left wing nut jobs will be attacking this "crazy" bill because it's introduced by their "TEEEEE Party Nemesis. I have to wonder why, with all the years that Dems were in power, they did nothing about this.

legalsea liked it....

Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Big government is as big government does.

Again, it isn't a Bush and it isn't a Clinton, leading us out of tyranny.
Bulls-eye.

Quote:
Good. It'll expose them for who they are.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Great idea. My local police department drives around in Escalades and Corvettes, and they sure as hell didn't buy them with their budget.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:

It's about time.

Lol. Still believing huh?

Translation on this development: bribes and outright stealing rights will now be funneled to Entity B instead of Entity A.

Carry on America.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

It's about time.

Its sad that this bill proposal is even needed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies