Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
First child, grow up. You condem older people when there is no proof that every older person voted republican, they did not .
Second you claim every older persons choice to vote republican had the number one priority to cancel the Obamcare yet there is not one poll anywhere that rated Obamacare as the number one reason people voted republican .
You spew venom I suspect as a troll who really is not as ignorant as your posts display.
My apologies for calling you a troll I'd you really are this ignorant
I am a child that has been paying the maximum into Medicare for many years. I have paid with the understanding that we are the United States. But we really aren't and 2014 has shown me that this older generation is not worth the money I've been paying. They really want to hurt people and anyone reading this forum knows the posts reflect that.

I don't understand why you would be angry that I, mine and those I know are learning just what the older generation is about. If voting for Republicans means government shouldn't be involved in health care coverage then so be it. But all of it, including Medicare and Medicare Part D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Growing up sucks, doesn't it? No one knows better than the older generations. When you are fresh out of high school or even college you think you are wiser than everyone else. Then, slowly, you will start to realize those older than you actually were right.
Those older people who are so happy to vote away health care coverage for those other than themselves? Those older people who demonize someone receiving health care coverage while sucking up the coverage themselves?

As an educated person who has paid a ton of money, I don't want my money going to people like that. Plain and simple. I'll vote to kill those programs so older people can pay what the rest of the country pays. It will be a real eye opener for them.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We can go back and forth all day long but the bottom line is, I support every opportunity to kill Medicare and Medicare Part D along with ACA. From now on, the older generation needs to see the world the same way the younger generations are forced to. Heathcare used to be provided with your employment. A broken leg didn't cost thousands. Times have changed and the older generation will have a much better understanding of the new realities when they are shopping in the open market themselves.
Well first - I'll take your deflection as acquiescing to defeat on the false claim that Republicans blocked the ACA's implementation. Evidence proves that claim false.

Second - I hate every form of welfare, Mediwelfare chief among them. I am totally in agreement that if you want to dump the ACA, dump Medicare, Medicaid and all the trimmings right along with it. No problem here. Bravo zulu.

third - healthcare wasn't provided by your employer, cheaper health insurance was provided via employer subsidies and group policy mechanics making the cost lower. This is a recent phenomenon though, as it was the post WW-II employer way of skirting the wage ceilings put in place after the war. But your employer was never responsible for your health care, it just became an accepted and widely misunderstood part of overall compensation.

Fourth - a broken leg costs $thousands because after 7 decades of providers raising their costs incrementally and finding out that they can get away with it because the consumer is no longer seeing their prices, the cumulative effect has gotten costs to where they are. If you buy my widgets, and every day I raise the price by 1%, and you never object and keep paying me the price I charge, why would I stop? You might one day ask why you are paying a $bazillion for each widget, but I can show you each and every price increase and how you never questioned it until now. This is what happened with medical and education costs. The minute the buyer gets removed from the loop, either via insurance for health or loans for college, they stop caring what something costs, and as long as the payor keeps paying whatever gets charged, why would the seller ever stop raising prices?

Fifth - the older generation has been sold a bill of good since the advent of Mediwelfare that with enough health care and prescription drugs, they can be immortal. Sadly, too many in our culture believe it, and now Mediwelfare is a bizarro version of the estate tax, except everyone pays it so the old people can be kept around long for the government to milk everything they have.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:27 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
I am a child that has been paying the maximum into Medicare for many years. I have paid with the understanding that we are the United States. But we really aren't and 2014 has shown me that this older generation is not worth the money I've been paying. They really want to hurt people and anyone reading this forum knows the posts reflect that.

I don't understand why you would be angry that I, mine and those I know are learning just what the older generation is about. If voting for Republicans means government shouldn't be involved in health care coverage then so be it. But all of it, including Medicare and Medicare Part D.
Thanks for proving my last post

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
But the older generation takes theirs and votes against those that are younger. And they are thrilled. They love hurting others. We just need the pain to be shared pain.
This is a crock of bullcrap.
It's been proven to you that it's not only the old who vote against the ACA but the young and middle aged as well with very little difference in percentage among only the youngest of voters.
This issue you've fabricated in your mind doesn't stand up to even the simplest scrutiny.
Where is your criticism for the 65 and under voting block who disagree with the ACA ?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Well first - I'll take your deflection as acquiescing to defeat on the false claim that Republicans blocked the ACA's implementation. Evidence proves that claim false.

Second - I hate every form of welfare, Mediwelfare chief among them. I am totally in agreement that if you want to dump the ACA, dump Medicare, Medicaid and all the trimmings right along with it. No problem here. Bravo zulu.

third - healthcare wasn't provided by your employer, cheaper health insurance was provided via employer subsidies and group policy mechanics making the cost lower. This is a recent phenomenon though, as it was the post WW-II employer way of skirting the wage ceilings put in place after the war. But your employer was never responsible for your health care, it just became an accepted and widely misunderstood part of overall compensation.

Fourth - a broken leg costs $thousands because after 7 decades of providers raising their costs incrementally and finding out that they can get away with it because the consumer is no longer seeing their prices, the cumulative effect has gotten costs to where they are. If you buy my widgets, and every day I raise the price by 1%, and you never object and keep paying me the price I charge, why would I stop? You might one day ask why you are paying a $bazillion for each widget, but I can show you each and every price increase and how you never questioned it until now. This is what happened with medical and education costs. The minute the buyer gets removed from the loop, either via insurance for health or loans for college, they stop caring what something costs, and as long as the payor keeps paying whatever gets charged, why would the seller ever stop raising prices?

Fifth - the older generation has been sold a bill of good since the advent of Mediwelfare that with enough health care and prescription drugs, they can be immortal. Sadly, too many in our culture believe it, and now Mediwelfare is a bizarro version of the estate tax, except everyone pays it so the old people can be kept around long for the government to milk everything they have.
Of course Republican governors blocked ACA, that's just ridiculous on its face.

As for the rest, we are in agreement. It's time to end all of it. It's time to vote out Medicare, Medicare Part D and Medicaid along with ACA. I have never agreed that the employer should provide health coverage. It makes the employee beholden to an employer, possibly passing better opportunities, because of the coverage. If everyone, including those older than 65, are shopping in the open market for health care coverage, then everyone will have a much better understanding of the realities of today vs. the horse and buggy.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:33 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
No, I'm highlighting the hypocrisy of Republicans that say government should not be involved in health care coverage while also creating and implementing Medicare Part D in order to buy the older vote. And I'm against older voters happily sucking up benefits while voting to harm everyone else.

I'm fine with getting rid of Medicaid as long as we also get rid of Medicare and Medicare Part D. Get rid of all the programs. Not just the ones that don't effect you. And if these people are moochers, old people are the ultimate greedy, self-serving moochers.
Didn't Obama campaign in 2008 on closing the donut hole? He had the majority in congress. Why didn't that happen?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Of course Republican governors blocked ACA, that's just ridiculous on its face.

As for the rest, we are in agreement. It's time to end all of it. It's time to vote out Medicare, Medicare Part D and Medicaid along with ACA. I have never agreed that the employer should provide health coverage. It makes the employee beholden to an employer, possibly passing better opportunities, because of the coverage. If everyone, including those older than 65, are shopping in the open market for health care coverage, then everyone will have a much better understanding of the realities of today vs. the horse and buggy.
Our governor in Michigan did not block ACA.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
This is a crock of bullcrap.
It's been proven to you that it's not only the old who vote against the ACA but the young and middle aged as well with very little difference in percentage among only the youngest of voters.
This issue you've fabricated in your mind doesn't stand up to even the simplest scrutiny.
Where is your criticism for the 65 and under voting block who disagree with the ACA ?
ACA was never fully implemented. Let me give you examples:

1. If Medicare had been optional and half the country politically opposed it and the costs people were asked to contribute were outrageously high because the contributions were far less, would Medicare have moved forward?

2. Here's another one. If Medicare recipients were required to pay the actual costs of their benefits paid at three times what they paid over the course of their working history, would they still want Medicare? Think of it, triple the costs for your working life. If I'm paying 3-400 per month in Medicare contributions, would I be willing to pay $1200 a month in Medicare contributions? When I reach the maximum contribution each year, my check suddenly goes up 3-400 a month until the new year clicks over. Imagine if we were actually paying $1200. a month for Medicare so it would be truly solvent?

3. How about this: We start giving Medicare recipients a third of the benefits since they only paid a third in? Now that's a plan I could support.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Didn't Obama campaign in 2008 on closing the donut hole? He had the majority in congress. Why didn't that happen?
He did!

He also campaigned on a transparent and open government, and while we are on the topic of the ACA:

“This bill was written in a tortured way to make sure CBO did not score the mandate as taxes. If CBO scored the mandate as taxes, the bill dies. Okay, so it’s written to do that. In terms of risk rated subsidies, if you had a law which said that healthy people are going to pay in – you made explicit healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed… Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical for the thing to pass… Look, I wish Mark was right that we could make it all transparent, but I’d rather have this law than not.”
Jonathan Gruber, Chief ACA architect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies