U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fracking
Yes 70 57.85%
No 44 36.36%
Not sure 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:04 AM

41,545 posts, read 20,129,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm right wing and I'm not fearful of many things honestly. I do think some people might consider me more moderate but whatever.

And those are perfectly legitimate reasons to not want fracking where you live. You are right. Roughnecks aren't exactly a peaches and cream bunch and the trucks, etc are an eyesore. But I was specifically talking about those people that want to ban fracking all together because of these unfounded fears about safety which have time and again been proven to be false. When they have government agency after government agency trying and failing to find these supposed massive safety issues with fracking, it's time for them to admit their fears are unfounded.
Fair enough.

But time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 12:57 AM

7,390 posts, read 4,674,336 times
Hydraulic fracking is safe. Gas does not get into the water supply from fracking, it's impossible. Any gas found in a water supply is there naturally. Folks have been lighting their faucets for more than a century. So much for the left believing in "science". I'm kinda sick of arguing about it, it's like beating a dead horse. Post frack, there have been occasional issues, surface casing and waste management. I have heard of waste haulers being cited for violations (throw the book at them). I'm sure it's not pleasant for land owners (unless they own the mineral rights) with loud trucks kicking up dust and diesel fumes get stinky. But, that doesn't change the FACT that fracking is safe. I'm a huge supporter.

Last edited by elan; 11-15-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 02:19 AM

13,406 posts, read 10,903,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Obviously every state is different. Here no well would be 100 feet from a home. The pad is the wells sit on has to be at least 2 square acres. Some are even bigger.
My water wast tested by not only the gas company, but I had it tested privately. The tests were comparable and with comparable results. Who is they?
As for who will pay? No clue.
Who will pay if an airliner crashes on your home? The insurance. All drillers have insurance. Who pays when a train derails spilling toxic waste?
They as in who owned those machines that went down the road?.....I assume it was someone in the industry doing some kind of geological test.....there were no names on the equipment and homeowners were not told anything.

As far as the 100 ft. from a home rule, I do believe that has now been amended to 200 feet, not much of an improvement it you ask me.

I can tell you one thing for sure, you will never find a gas well a few hundred feet from a home in an "exclusive" community where the wealthy live.

An airliner crashing on my home?.....my insurance company would pay.

Thousands upon thousands of homes all of a sudden losing a safe water source?.....I am quite sure the insurance companies would find a loop hole to deny payment.....they simply couldn't afford to pay thousands of homeowners replacement value on their homes.

They would probably claim "act of God" and put the burden on proof on the homeowners, keep it tied up in court for a generation.....we all know how that works.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If a water well is properly constructed......nothing can get in the water.

That is why most water wells in Michigan are now PVC.

Iron wells in time will get holes in the casing.

Grouting properly is very important.
So, does that mean my neighbors who have experienced black water from their wells need to have new wells dug using PVC pipe?......or is experiencing black water like that once in a blue moon normal when you have well water?

The wells were all dug in the late 60's, early 70's.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You should use that common sense and ask yourself if fracking is causing tectonic plate shift? The plates are always moving, building up energy, which when released is an earth quake. Fracking doesn't create this energy. If what you are saying is true, and fracking causes a localized release of energy, then that is a good thing as a small localized releas of already stored up energy is better than a large emiddiate release of energy (natural earth quake).
Regardless of whether fracking causes earthquakes, the question is, can these injection wells being pumped full of millions of gallons of poisons withstand the forces of an earthquake, natural or otherwise?

And if/when those poisons are released into the groundwater, poisoning drinking water for hundreds of miles......WHAT'S THE PLAN?

Too bad, so sad....every man for himself?

Old 11-15-2014, 04:59 AM

19,306 posts, read 10,894,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Regardless of whether fracking causes earthquakes, the question is, can these injection wells being pumped full of millions of gallons of poisons withstand the forces of an earthquake, natural or otherwise?

And if/when those poisons are released into the groundwater, poisoning drinking water for hundreds of miles......WHAT'S THE PLAN?

Too bad, so sad....every man for himself?
why do you think its 'poisons'??

all they are 'injecting' is water

Petroleum engineers have used fracking as a means of increasing well production since the late 1940s. Fractures can also exist naturally in formations, and both natural and man-made fractures can be widened by fracking. As a result, more oil and gas can be extracted from a given area of land.

every oil well 'injects' water.....

and they 'can' use salt water....which would be good with the world ending sealevel rise

Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Petroleum engineers have used fracking as a means of increasing well production since the late 1940s. Fractures can also exist naturally in formations, and both natural and man-made fractures can be widened by fracking. As a result, more oil and gas can be extracted from a given area of land.

and they 'can' use salt water....which would be good with the world ending sealevel rise
Toxic Chemicals Used In Fracking

Quote:
Presently, the natural gas industry does not have to disclose the chemicals
used, but scientists have identified known carcinogens and volatile organic
compounds (VOCs) such as benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene. -

Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 AM

598 posts, read 550,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Most trucks aren't nearly as heavy as tanker trucks and I'd rather not wait for the bloated state bureaucracy to get around to repairing all the road damage.
Most hauling in/out of frack sites is water (both fresh and 'heavy'). Most tankers are carrying about 100 to 130 barrels of water. Each barrel is 42 gallons. The 'heavy' water (sometimes called production water) weighs anywhere from 8.5 to just over 10 lbs per gallon. You do the math. Most trucks on the highways carrying loads are pulling more weight than these tankers.

I've driven tanks in the Bakken....I've also carried Over-The-Road loads. Commonly I'd drive a truck load of diesel truck engines from Laredo, TX to near Detroit (for Dodge trucks). That is a HEAVY load!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 AM

12,192 posts, read 3,743,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Nothing could be farther from the truth than the statement you make "all they are 'injecting' is water "

Even the oil companies admit to using hazardous chemicals or poison in simple terms. Horizontal fracking is a newer process than what you are talking about. Older water and oil wells that exist years before the fracking occurs leak. But the bigger problem is deep water injection and the earthquakes even small ones disturb the old wells. To say that fracking doesn't cause it maybe tech. correct but it's a word game of three card monty. Many people are thinking that fracking is describing the whole process. Where it is only one part of the process.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:47 AM

33,581 posts, read 33,487,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Even the oil companies admit to using hazardous chemicals or poison in simple terms.
Nearly anything can be called poison in simple terms, oxygen will kill you in simple terms.

The question is what is the hazard involved with the concentrations they are using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies