Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No we use drones to kill innocent people instead.
Intent is key in ascertaining the moral wrong of any incident.

It's why you won't go to jail if you have an ACCIDENT and kill someone while driving, vs. purposely using your car to mow people down.

This is pretty basic moral analysis, people. The foundation of our criminal law system as well!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:14 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, we could. As a matter of fact we are deporting criminals. The Norwegians did not profile anyone, the people the deported had already been arrested for crimes. They deported some 5000 criminals, and a good portion happened to be muslims. They were not deported for being muslim, or for being immigrants (legal or illegal), but for committing crimes.
Well, actually some of them were deported for violating Norway's Immigration Act.

The article states that Norway is deporting those who commit crimes, including those guilty of breaking Norway's immigration laws.

What the President has proposed to do with his EO is not going to be as simple as outlined.

In Testimony of District Attorney John M. Morganelli before the House Subcommittee on immigration, Border, Security and Claims he stated:

...the majority of illegal aliens who are here are engaged in criminal activity. Identity theft, use of fraudulent social security numbers and green cards, tax evasion, driving without licenses represent some of the crimes that are engaged in by the majority of illegal aliens on a daily basis merely to maintain and hide their illegal status.

"...violent crime and drug distribution and possession is also prevalent among illegal aliens. Over 25% of today's federal prison population are illegal aliens. In some areas of the country, 12% of felonies, 25% of burglaries and 34% of thefts are committed by illegal aliens."

A summary on some of the collateral damage reaped in crimes as a result of tolerating illegal aliens in the USA can be found here:

http://www.usillegalaliens.com/impac...e_summary.html

There's good basis for saying we need to re-think this deportation stay. If the criminals can't be found, there's no way to separate them from the general illegal immigrant population.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Intent is key in ascertaining the moral wrong of any incident.

It's why you won't go to jail if you have an ACCIDENT and kill someone while driving, vs. purposely using your car to mow people down.
This is why you go to jail when you target and shoot a thief who is in a crowd while hitting others.

Depraved indifference - the defendant's conduct must be 'so wanton, so deficient in a moral sense of concern, so lacking in regard for the life or lives of others, and so blameworthy as to warrant the same criminal liability as that which the law imposes upon a person who intentionally causes a crime. Depraved indifference focuses on the risk created by the defendant’s conduct, not the injuries actually resulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is pretty basic moral analysis, people. The foundation of our criminal law system as well!
U.S. Drone Strike Math – 41 Terrorists Targeted, 1,147 People Killed

In fact, earlier this month I highlighted an article from the Guardian that demonstrated how in reality drone strikes are 10x more likely to harm civilians per incident. Now, thanks to a recently leaked document we find that many more civilians including children have been killed in these strikes than many of us would like to admit. In fact, of the 746 people killed in drone strikes in Pakistan from 2006-2009, an incredible 20% were civilians and 94 (13% of the total) were children.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-1...-people-killed

Old 11-27-2014, 04:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
deporting violent criminals is effective just and well within our ability.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:30 PM

274 posts, read 238,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

U.S. Drone Strike Math – 41 Terrorists Targeted, 1,147 People Killed

In fact, earlier this month I highlighted an article from the Guardian that demonstrated how in reality drone strikes are 10x more likely to harm civilians per incident. Now, thanks to a recently leaked document we find that many more civilians including children have been killed in these strikes than many of us would like to admit. In fact, of the 746 people killed in drone strikes in Pakistan from 2006-2009, an incredible 20% were civilians and 94 (13% of the total) were children.

U.S. Drone Strike Math
How many innocent people civilians as you say and children do you suppose were killed by all sides during the approximately ten years we and our allies were in engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan? Significantly more than 1,147 to be certain. Sitting back and playing defense where we could ill afford to miss an attack even once without grave consequences as opposed to taking the fight to the "enemy" causing them to go on the defensive is a much better option historically. How many of the 1,147 "civilians" we're in vehicles, structures, crowds, with the targets?

It is easy to condemn loss of innocent life and I can appreciate lamenting the loss of any innocent life. These are bad people who associate with bad people. Since bad people are capable of reproducing same as good people inevitably and regrettably there may come a time when a decision has to be made to save lives and stop a very bad person who may be seated in a restaurant or at home with his children or shopping at a market. I doubt these decisions are made without examination of conscience by those who we trust to make them.

I would imagine errors have been made and we are all susceptible to making errors not just those who pilot drones or make decisions on rules of engagement. I heard a quote at least once, "War is hell." I think the thought of having to take innocent lives to save many innocent lives is reflective of that quote.

Does this mean we do not use technology to avoid having to risk American Soldiers lives? Why not take every advantage you can to prevent or minize the loss of life? I believe that is what is currently being done and has been done previously. 1,147 is a horrible number to be sure but I am certain compared to the tens of thousands of lives lost in a bombing campaign or an insurgency While tragic it is preferable.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
How many innocent people civilians as you say and children do you suppose were killed by all sides during the approximately ten years we and our allies were in engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan? Significantly more than 1,147 to be certain. Sitting back and playing defense where we could ill afford to miss an attack even once without grave consequences as opposed to taking the fight to the "enemy" causing them to go on the defensive is a much better option historically. How many of the 1,147 "civilians" we're in vehicles, structures, crowds, with the targets?

It is easy to condemn loss of innocent life and I can appreciate lamenting the loss of any innocent life. These are bad people who associate with bad people. Since bad people are capable of reproducing same as good people inevitably and regrettably there may come a time when a decision has to be made to save lives and stop a very bad person who may be seated in a restaurant or at home with his children or shopping at a market. I doubt these decisions are made without examination of conscience by those who we trust to make them.

I would imagine errors have been made and we are all susceptible to making errors not just those who pilot drones or make decisions on rules of engagement. I heard a quote at least once, "War is hell." I think the thought of having to take innocent lives to save many innocent lives is reflective of that quote.

Does this mean we do not use technology to avoid having to risk American Soldiers lives? Why not take every advantage you can to prevent or minize the loss of life? I believe that is what is currently being done and has been done previously. 1,147 is a horrible number to be sure but I am certain compared to the tens of thousands of lives lost in a bombing campaign or an insurgency While tragic it is preferable.
Agreed. That's part of why we nuked Japan to force the government there to end WW 2, Japan was crippled but needed to be totally stopped. Word was the 2 nukes saved a LOT of lives on both sides.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:24 PM

274 posts, read 238,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Even IF it cost the farmers 3 times higher to use legal aliens and US citizens to work the farms; I don't think it'd put grocery prices up all that much because to the middleman markups between farmers and stores.

I also agree with you Packard fan. To hear it told by the Hispanic Community and believe me I do hear this several times a week. If we deport all the Undocumented, Illegal Immigrants we would have no fast food, no homes, no bridges, tunnels, or highways. Nobody to mow the lawn, make a Pizza, Work a Cash Register, attend Church, Clean our Houses, etc. etc. etc.

I am forty-five years old and I promised them since I can remember and as far as I could tell from pictures in books and magazines, long before the great Banana Republics Migration from Cuba, Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Central and South America we had Skyscrapers, Bridges, Tunnels, Rail Roads, Electricity, Fast Food and the Lawn got mowed and the house got cleaned etc.

[Full disclosure I am married to an El Salvadorean and Speak read and write Spanish Fluently despite the fact I am Caucasion.]

Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its typical of all of western Europe with those in east moving to take jobs. No different than what our congress heard last time amnesty was brought up during Bush years.Many Japanese even proposed paying foreigners to leave the country.;

Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Depends on where and who. Stockton,California has one of the highest murder rates in the nation for cities of 250,000+ residents. Stockton is a sanctuary city, as in, those who came illegally won't be arrested or deported. Chances are, some of them could be represented among those committing crimes.

And there is alot of gang warfare in LA.
Los Angeles is relatively safe when compared to other major cities. There used to be a major problem with violent crime, but slowly but surely the crime level decreased. There's still gang issues but the majority of the criminals that commit crime in LA aren't gang members...

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Ahhh, God bless them. Finally coming to their senses and dealing with the politically correct crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies