Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 12:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,063,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
Why should I have to do that? It would be like a poll tax because it would cost me more to make my own bulbs than it would for a willing manufacturer who is hamstringed from making and selling a product which I want to buy(something which I should have the right to do).

Are you in favor of poll taxes? We already know that you are anti-choice.
No, I am not in favor of poll taxes, what does that have to do with this thread?

Old 11-15-2014, 12:23 AM

169 posts, read 123,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, I am not in favor of poll taxes, what does that have to do with this thread?
You are interested in making it more expensive for a person to obtain a desired product for which they have a right to contract.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,178,718 times
Quote:
You are interested in making it more expensive for a person to obtain a desired product for which they have a right to contract.
CFL lightbulbs aren't much more expensive than the old incandescent ones and in the long run, they're cheaper.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,986,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
And what bill would that be?
Depends which one you're talking about. They had the one that was blocked by the Senate Democrats which was a full repeal. Then the Republicans added an amendment to the spending bill to block funds for enforcement of the ban. But, the repeal of the law itself is still stuck in the Senate thanks to Democrats. This was in 2011. But, new majority in the Senate. Guess it's something else that could change.

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times
Quote:
Stopping the bulb ban was a chief GOP priority coming into this year, with all of the candidates seeking to become chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee saying they would push through a repeal. That bill cleared the House but Democrats blocked its consideration in the Senate.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,178,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Depends which one you're talking about. They had the one that was blocked by the Senate Democrats which was a full repeal. Then the Republicans added an amendment to the spending bill to block funds for enforcement of the ban. But, the repeal of the law itself is still stuck in the Senate thanks to Democrats. This was in 2011. But, new majority in the Senate. Guess it's something else that could change.

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times

Congress voted to defund the phase-out in 2012 (a largely symbolic gesture), but no bill has passed the House and gone to the Senate that specifically overturns the phase-out.

HR 739, the "Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act" (HR 849), and the "Better Use of Lightbulbs Act" (HR 91, then HR 2417--the only one of the three to make it to a floor vote, the other two died in committee) all failed to pass the House.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:48 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,883,218 times
Quote:
CFL lightbulbs aren't much more expensive than the old incandescent ones and in the long run, they're cheaper.
In most cases but not all the time. Outdoor lighting for example could actually cost you more. Typically at least for me I turn those lights on and off in a short time. The CFL's take a very long time to warm up and use a lot of electricity during this time....

If you have regular electric heat it's 0 sum game.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,161,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Now that Republicans will control both houses, will they try to repeal the ban on certain incandescent bulbs? A moot point, perhaps, since Pres. Bush signed it into law seven years ago. And light bulb makers had already planned to discontinue them, aren't likely to produce them again. Even the Compact Fluorescents, which took their place, will be obsolete in a few years. Congress might try to legalize the old bulbs, but can't compel anyone to make them.
Nonetheless, I expect someone to introduce such a bill, in the name of freedom.

there is no ban on owning them, jst a ban on making them in the USA. now china makes them and sends them over here to be sold at wallyworld.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,409,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Now that Republicans will control both houses, will they try to repeal the ban on certain incandescent bulbs? A moot point, perhaps, since Pres. Bush signed it into law seven years ago. And light bulb makers had already planned to discontinue them, aren't likely to produce them again. Even the Compact Fluorescents, which took their place, will be obsolete in a few years. Congress might try to legalize the old bulbs, but can't compel anyone to make them.
Nonetheless, I expect someone to introduce such a bill, in the name of freedom.
I doubt it....

LED is the way to go, just wish the price would drop sooner than later

CFL's are an environmental issue with their mercury

Old 11-15-2014, 01:18 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,409,969 times
Quote:
I've had lots of bad luck with the CFL's

they say 'last 5 years" but I've had a lot that lasted less than a year....and they are 4-5 times the price of incandescent

Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,063,511 times
Quote:
I am sure you will be just fine without incandescent bulbs. If that is what you can't afford in life then you have a bigger problem than light bulbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies