Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 PM

169 posts, read 123,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you would choose to pay more. Why. Technology advances all the time and many things become obsolete as we progress. I'm not sure what freedom has to do with this.
Yes, I would. Why does that bother you? Furthermore, why should you be allowed to force me to pay less?

Who gets to decide that incandescent light bulbs are obsolete? How are the new bulbs signs of "progress"?

Freedom has everything to do with it. When choice is limited, so is liberty.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I doubt it, seems like a waste of time trying to go back to obsolete technology.

Obsolete? How about more efficient than any other form of affordable lighting available to us. Just because your generation only knows of CFLs doesn't mean the rest of us should be forced to use them.

Case in point...I have sensor lights all around my home w/spotlights aimed at points 50-75 yards from the house. Only an incandescent or halogen bulb will light up one of the out buildings and those bulbs are 100w at the least. The fixture at my front door uses a single 200w incandescent bulb which lights as well as the two spotlights my neighbor across the street employs. I want a light bulb to cast fire on an object when lit. There are no fluorescent or LED bulbs available yet which offer the same performance. I doubt they ever will.

Until they do, I will keep ordering my incandescent bulbs online.

I have several 6v flashlight/lanterns...LEDs don't work as advertised unless made by Kree and they are expensive. I prefer tungsten bulbs. Same with my 5 cell Maglite.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:48 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,042,545 times
The below is enough reason for me...

Comparison Chart
LED Lights vs. Incandescent Light Bulbs vs. CFLs Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart

Old 11-14-2014, 09:50 PM

45,120 posts, read 26,284,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The below is enough reason for me...

Comparison Chart
LED Lights vs. Incandescent Light Bulbs vs. CFLs Compare: LED Lights vs CFL vs Incandescent Lighting Chart
Good for you. You made an educated choice based on your own particular set of circumstances and no law was required to compel you.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
Yes, I would. Why does that bother you? Furthermore, why should you be allowed to force me to pay less?

Freedom has everything to do with it. When choice is limited, so is liberty.
Wow, ok. I for one am looking at ways to decrease my cost wherever I can. It doesn't bother me at all. I just thought everyone would be happy to spend less. Sorry, my bad

There is a certain type of frequency generating circuit that is very useful and cheaply built. One of its components is a low power incandescent bulb.

I suppose people who like to build this circuit will just have to pay more, because the government says so.

Since when does the government get to dictate how an engineer designs something?

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually the reason leased gasoline was phased out was because of obvious health implications not obsolescence. So, you're making the wrong analogy unless you can show incandescent light bulbs also had an obvious health implication.
That is a form of being obsolete, there was a better form of gasoline, thus we switched to that. There is a better form of light, so we have also switched to that. Why there are still people still crying over incandescent bulbs is beyond me.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It doesn't bother me at all.
Are you going to join me in getting the incandescent bulb ban repealed?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
you're right we don't, but I stated that its my opinion that consumers should decide which light bulb choices they make. We can no longer do that because politicians removed that choice. Leaded fuel has nothing to do with it.

Who is we? Do you manufacture light bulbs?
We is a general term, didn't realize I needed to explain that because no I don't make light bulbs.

Well I am sorry you want to buy obsolete technology still when there are much better things out there.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:55 PM

45,120 posts, read 26,284,895 times
Quote:
We is a general term, didn't realize I needed to explain that because no I don't make light bulbs.
You do need to explain because you are speaking as an authority as to which light bulb technologies are obsolete.
Quote:
Well I am sorry you want to buy obsolete technology still when there are much better things out there.
I never said I wanted to purchase any one particular technology, only that I should be able to choose and not have a politician do it for me.
Quote:
That is a form of being obsolete, there was a better form of gasoline, thus we switched to that. There is a better form of light, so we have also switched to that. Why there are still people still crying over incandescent bulbs is beyond me.
If it is better why was a law required?
And who is this "we" you keep referring to, you do realize that someone may have a different idea of "better" than you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies