Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 10:47 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Many are also attached to other old fashioned ideas like having and paying for the healthcare they that choose to have, or not have, and not having to pay for anyone else's. But the government didn't like that idea either. Us old fogeys have lots of strange ideas - freedom to choose, self-reliance, ideas that involve common sense, etc. - that Kool-Aid drinkers just can't seem to understand. It's not just the light bulbs, but I see you're too dim to get it.
Too many on this thread only want freedom of choice when it is THEIR choice. They can't comprehend an adult making a choice for themselves, the government needs to make it for them. Sad.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No one cancelled incandescents they simply set an efficient requirement.
Uh huh, that's like saying CO2 caps set far below what is emitted aren't going to close coal plants.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Uh huh, that's like saying CO2 caps set far below what is emitted aren't going to close coal plants.
So you favor making all the valley cities unlivable via exhaust? That is clearly where free enterprise was taking us. And they showed no sign of making low pollution cars on their own.

I would agree CO2 is more interesting. But do we fight about the level chosen or the principle?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Now that Republicans will control both houses, will they try to repeal the ban on certain incandescent bulbs? A moot point, perhaps, since Pres. Bush signed it into law seven years ago. And light bulb makers had already planned to discontinue them, aren't likely to produce them again. Even the Compact Fluorescents, which took their place, will be obsolete in a few years. Congress might try to legalize the old bulbs, but can't compel anyone to make them.
Nonetheless, I expect someone to introduce such a bill, in the name of freedom.

To ban anything, takes away freedom and liberties.

To drop the ban, would just be a sign that says, we reject authoritarianism.
Then someone would be free, to make and distribute the lower cost lighting, if they see a market.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
To ban anything, takes away freedom and liberties.

To drop the ban, would just be a sign that says, we reject authoritarianism.
Then someone would be free, to make and distribute the lower cost lighting, if they see a market.
So you really hold that the Free Enterprise types have the right to kills us to make money?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
So you favor making all the valley cities unlivable via exhaust? That is clearly where free enterprise was taking us. And they showed no sign of making low pollution cars on their own.
Clearly the CFL bulbs were already making a dent in the market on their own. The big issue I have is you are getting rid of a product that has very legitimate other purposes. That's besides when you consider the ridiculous nature of the law when you can purchase a 1500 watt electric heater and accomplish the same thing with ten 150 watt light bulbs. If I assemble those 10 bulbs into one unit it's illegal because it makes light?

I've used CFL's long before any mandates came into existence because they save me money. However I also have needs and wants for incandescents.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Clearly the CFL bulbs were already making a dent in the market on their own. The big issue I have is you are getting rid of a product that has very legitimate other purposes. That's besides when you consider the ridiculous nature of the law when you can purchase a 1500 watt electric heater and accomplish the same thing with ten 150 watt light bulbs. If I assemble those 10 bulbs into one unit it's illegal because it makes light?

I've used CFL's long before any mandates came into existence because they save me money. However I also have needs and wants for incandescents.
It is tricky. There is no doubt that volume drives price. So without standards or subsidies or such bad high volume items may forever or for a very long time block better solutions. The free market creates this problem. It does not fix it. PV solar cells being a classical example. China now dominates the market on an American initiated technology. It is so bad that Chinese inferior products crushed superior US ones primarily driven by volume and subsidy generated pricing.

So no the free market does not select the best product. It selects the short term cheqper one.

CFL development was virtually all driven by the coming standards...not the market. The original CFL was pretty much a failure in the market place...even after being reasonably perfected. So they drove the market to the CFL.

Last edited by lvoc; 11-17-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Heck no, it's too expensive for most including my family. We have replaced all of them with LED'S and have saved a lot of money.
But spent a fortune on the bulbs themselves. You can't find LED light bulbs for under $10 at Wal-Mart.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
I gave CFLs a try and the light is akin to Room 101 in Orwell's 1984. They will go the way of 8 Tracks.

I bought my first LED. Not as good as an incandescent, but in time perhaps. It works well enough where I have it.

But at that price, it damn well better last as long as they claim.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM

169 posts, read 124,150 times
Quote:
No one cancelled incandescents.
Then why can't I buy them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies