Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 05:03 PM

518 posts, read 469,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've sat on grand juries. I know how they work. They're the prosecutors playground. The prosecutor decides what witnesses to call, and what evidence to present (or not.) They're no judge, the defense isn't even present, and can't cross examine (or really do anything.)

If the prosecutor wanted to get an indictment, the could have only presented those witnesses who gave statements incriminating the cop. That would have been enough probable cause (which is not a high standard of proof), and the case would have gone to trial. Instead the prosecutor presented everything, a fair amount of which was exculpatory. That's why the case stayed with the grand jury for so long.
You have sat on grand juries in MO? In Ferguson? With this or these prosecutors?

You are making general assumptions when you really don't know. I worked in law enforcement for a time in my life and I know that very often the GJ does not indict someone you know is guilty and the prosecutor gives it all he or she has. But you were not there nor was I. So we really cannot make such assumptions.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:05 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Somewhere Donald Sterling is sitting back and saying, "I told you".
I'm sure you would be sitting right next to him agreeing with what he said.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Holder will not do anything. And the prosecutor, in his press conference, was freaking genius mentioning Holder and his assistance multiple times. He put the old boy in between a rock and a hard place.
That's old racist boy..

Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Shut the front door
Just like Mary Jane leads to deviant sexual behavior
You got that right. Mary was quite a girl.

Oh, you were talking about weed

Old 11-25-2014, 05:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Holder and the DOJ will do the same thing they did with the Zimmerman fiasco.
They will quietly say they won't pursue charges months later.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:10 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Are you serious about this?

Is this the truth? Because it would make me feel better, as I was just pondering this earlier today thinking the middle-class working man would wind up footing the bill via higher insurance tax rates.
Read upthread that policies don't pay for civil unrest - but didn't verify. Sorry to say, I'm probably wrong - if this is correct:
Quote:
4) Damage caused by war, nuclear hazard or terrorism—

Standard home insurance policies cover for riots, civil unrest and vandalism.

However, most insurance policies of any kind tend not to provide coverage for war, terrorism or nuclear hazards.

15 Things Homeowners Insurance Doesn't Cover - NerdWallet
And, this:
Quote:
Rioting and property coverage

Fortunately, it seems standard ISO form property coverage is in place in Ferguson as well as other areas affected by rioting.

Loretta Worters, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute, told Insurance Business that both

commercial property insurance and homeowners policies “generally include coverage” for losses caused by “riot or civil commotion.”

“Typically, property insurance under business owners policies written on a named peril basis includes coverage for direct physical loss caused by riot or civil commotion, and looting at the time and place of the occurrence,” Worters said.

The “rioting” definition covers looting by participants who steal merchandise or other property from the premises, as well as fire. Vandalism is also a covered peril in the BOP.

Business interruption
As for those businesses that must suspend operations or limit hours due to rioting, Worters notes that business income or interruption coverage is only triggered “if there is physical damage to the premises of such magnitude that the business must suspend its operations.”

Physical damage to other property that prevents customers or employees from gaining access to the business is also covered, though most policies have a waiting period of several days before business interruption coverage will come into play.

Even then, coverage is not retroactive to the day of the event, which means some losses may not be covered under this policy.

If civil authority—i.e. the police or fire department—keep people away from an area, there is generally coverage for lost business income and extra expense through a civil authority provision. This includes curfews and other restrictions on access to a place of business, and usually begins 72 hours after the time of the first action of civil authority.

http://www.ibamag.com/news/the-riots...now-19262.aspx
If Katrina is any precedent, I'm guessing the smaller businesses will have a very hard time shaking any money from their insurers, if they were insured at all. The national franchises will probably be all right.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-25-2014 at 05:18 PM..

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
Holder is on his way out, remember?
I do expect that the Just Us department will launch an investigation and prosecution against officer Wilson regarding his violating the gentle giant's civil rights, because someone has to be held responsible, someone has to pay.
[sarc]Much like the Just Us department has investigated the 25 Chicago teenagers shot and killed since the untimely end of Mr Brown, 2 killed by the Chicago PD. /sarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
No Mike,they sure didn't deserve this..my guess is they were barely holding on anyway,most probably didn't have insurance..when a business slows down,that usually goes first....unless that's gonna be the way out
Insurance does not cover "riot".

Old 11-25-2014, 05:14 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
Insurance does not cover "riot".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Standard home insurance policies cover for riots, civil unrest and vandalism. However, most insurance policies of any kind tend not to provide coverage for war, terrorism or nuclear hazards.

15 Things Homeowners Insurance Doesn't Cover - NerdWallet
Hmmmmm

Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel99 View Post
I hope the NG shoots the looters tonight, put a few in the ground and maybe the thugs will think twice before looting and stop being criminals. That idiot Nadal is about as dumb as a post. I could not quit laughing at her idiotic statements.
Anti gubmit CONservatives just love the military putting down "those" kinda people. But let them come after bubba and his sawed off shotgun then we got a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies